Okay, we have an inefficient washer & dryer and bought
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Okay, we have an inefficient washer & dryer and bought

via Craig's List a set of Askos. The Asko units were < 1/2 what we'd budgeted and are a "trial balloon" to see if we can manage with the newer, smaller machines, or if we have to get the new monster machines, which don't fit our space well. The fellow we got them from had us go away and come back in 2 hours, so he could finish his laundry, so we know they were working.

Our original machines are > 20 years old and as such really inefficient in terms of energy/water usage, although they were the most efficient we could buy at the time. And, because we bought them by feature rather than anything else, they are by different manufacturers as well.

I don't expect we can sell them, for $100 for the pair or even $50. So, my question stems from a sign I saw for someone who was buying junk cars & old appliances. Has anyone sold their appliances for scrap? If so, how much did you get?

We will need to rent a truck to make this happen, there are various other house projects we need a truck for, so we wouldn't rent it for just this.

What do you think?

TIA --

Judi

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Judi Dial View Post
    via Craig's List a set of Askos. The Asko units were < 1/2 what we'd budgeted and are a "trial balloon" to see if we can manage with the newer, smaller machines, or if we have to get the new monster machines, which don't fit our space well. The fellow we got them from had us go away and come back in 2 hours, so he could finish his laundry, so we know they were working.

Our original machines are > 20 years old and as such really inefficient in terms of energy/water usage, although they were the most efficient we could buy at the time. And, because we bought them by feature rather than anything else, they are by different manufacturers as well.

I don't expect we can sell them, for $100 for the pair or even $50. So, my question stems from a sign I saw for someone who was buying junk cars & old appliances. Has anyone sold their appliances for scrap? If so, how much did you get?

We will need to rent a truck to make this happen, there are various other house projects we need a truck for, so we wouldn't rent it for just this.

What do you think?

TIA --

Judi

No advice on the junk machines, except some come and pick them up in our area for free , that would get them out of your hair.

I bought an Asko unit, last yr as my second set and love it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If they're in working order, you should be able to get something for them. Someone who needs them will be happy to get them at an affordable price.

If you just want to get rid of them, put them on Freecycle and state the person who takes them has to haul them.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It probably wouldn't be worth renting a truck for what a junk dealer would give you. I'd be tempted to put them on craigslist for free, as long as whoever wants them, picks them up.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You could donate them. Maybe a woman's shelter would take them?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

For our market, I think it is FLOODED right now as there have been rebates offered for buying more water efficient machines.

I sold one EONS ago.........and only got $25.......so after that I let Sears or whomever DEAL it. (they don't even take them---they give you a number to call and someone else picks them up)

I would list them for free on CL.........and STATE that they still work. Here it would cost you a MINIMUM of $25 to take them to the dump.........and in your case.........plus truck rental.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I would also put them on Craigslist for free. A charity may want them, and would pick them up for you, scoring you a (meager) tax write-off.