Pellet stoves / Corn Stoves?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Pellet stoves / Corn Stoves?

I'm not sure if this is the right place...
    Pellet stoves or corn stoves, anyone have one, what do you like about it, hate about it and what brand? We've had a woodstove in the past, but weren't home enough to tend to it. Pellet/ corn just seems more convenient and we'd put it where the wood stove was. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My aunt and uncle have one, and they warned me against one, but I can't seem to remember why. Sorry, not very helpful...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by MTS04 View Post
    I'm not sure if this is the right place...
    Pellet stoves or corn stoves, anyone have one, what do you like about it, hate about it and what brand? We've had a woodstove in the past, but weren't home enough to tend to it. Pellet/ corn just seems more convenient and we'd put it where the wood stove was. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    There is a person who owns a business called Heat With corn, his business has grown i 2 years. I pass by his business on occasion, he is still in business.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I had a pellet stove and loved it!! I don't remember the brand (it was at my last home). It was easy to use, I only had to empty the ash bin once a year, bought one ton of pellets per year which heated my 1000sf home easily. Would fill the hopper in the morning and in the evening. I would definitely purchase another one.

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've been toying with the idea of getting a pellet stove...only problem is that when the power goes out the electronic starter on them won't work unless you get a battery back up system or generator too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Love our pellet/corn stove

We have an old house with gravity ducts to upstairs, the furnace never kept the house warm, then we got a propane ventless fireplace which was tons better but propane was crazy high so we got a pellet stove. It is the best, keeps the house the warmest and it's not too dirty, there is a bit of dust involved but very minimal. We fill it in the morning and before bed if it's cold, we are home during the day so we can fill it any time. Its an American Harvest Multifuel stove. I would definately recommend one. For when the electric goes out we have a charged car battery and there are connectors you use. I'd have to ask my dh for those details if you want. We havent lost electric since we got the back up system. lol

Registered User wanderinggrandma's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Lopi Pellet Stove/ Love it!

We had a wood stove for many years. When our kids were teenagers they would rather be cold than fill the stove if we were not home. The wood bin etc was dirty and messy.

During a remodel we installed the pellet stove. It is a free-standing stove not an insert so the hopper is larger. We can fill it once a day if the feed is on low or morning and night if it's cold and we crank it up. The hopper holds one bag of pellets. Love it! Nice constant even heat source. We have a couple of generators but I built a battery backup system last fall so I could hook it up if my DH was not home to drag out a generator.

The bonus is that I can dry a rack of laundry very quickly in front of it and it puts moisture back into the air.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

But how much do the pellets/corn cost?

What is the difference between one of these stoves, a wood stove and say a conventional natural gas furnace?

Thanks.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We had a wood stove early in our marriage.Our parents had a pellet stove. The pellet was neater. I cannot imagine using a corn burning stove( People burn a food source in this day and age?) but those corn subsidies are wonderful and if others want to do so, well...........,Katchawa Tong.( Show me the money!)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

The pellets run about $4 for a 50 pound bag around here.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

thank you for your input. We're doing some quick research. I'll let you know what I find.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Please do. I'm dying to buy a woodstove. Have wanted one for years!

Currently have a gas furnace. Costs about $150. per month year round (budget plan.) I think that's too much but I know it's cheaper than electricity.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Dh & I are looking into getting one of the fake liquid fuel burning corner fireplaces. I hope we get one they put off heat and real flames better than the fake electric fireplaces.