Humidifier filters
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Humidifier filters

It is that time of the year in Toronto, when the temperature dips, the furnace starts working often and the indoor air dries up, causing so many problems...

We have purchased 3 humidifiers by now, to find that the filters require frequent replacement (except one of them, with a "permanent" filter that made the whole machine obsolete in no time!

We have come up with a more economical solution that so far keeps the humidifier doing its job. Assembled a tube out of semi-rigid acetate film the size of the filter, put it in place, and draped J-Cloths on it (new, sizing rinsed, wet), in a way that they go over the top edge and are partly submerged in the water tray. Every 2 or 3 weeks they are fully clogged with the water minerals, and we replace them with new ones. Just one layer is enough.

I researched the function of the commercial filters online, they seem to be mainly wicks, and I question their "filtering" qualities on the users' behalf. The most important task is to keep the water container, tray and supporting tube free of mold.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Can you post what kind of humidifier you have?

I have one like this:

and then one that is bigger, but uses the same kind of filter.

I'm thinking that your method wouldn't work for me. I've considered using swamp cooler pads that were cut up and tied into a circle, but I'm not sure if the little fan has enough suction.

Ultimately, I'll probably end up adding one to the forced air heating system, but in the meantime...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sorry mndtrp, I didn't know you had a question for me, and just changed my options to be informed about comments!

The last 2 humidifiers we bought, in which we are using the support I described, are Honeywell. Looking at the photo, I assume they are basically similar to yours, in that there is a water tank and beside it, where the motor is, there is a water tray where the filter sits, and its sucking action makes the water circulate and be slowly dispersed into the air.

Somewhere online there are instructions to make a filter using a pile of coffee filters, cut up in a special way and stapled (Google it), but it is a great deal of work considering its short duration. On the other hand, with the $14 a filter costs, we buy quite a few boxes of J-Cloths, containing... 8 each?

The cloths end up absolutely unusable, they retain so much of the water minerals...

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

In our experience the filter needed to be replaced when it was so clogged with the minerals from the water that it wasn't absorbing anymore! It never lasted us as long as 3 months, and this is an animal-free home.

More than "filtering" dust and dander as we are led to believe, the so called filter is just a wick sucking up water, which the fan evaporates into the air...

That was the whole point that motivated me to start the thread.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Torontonian View Post
    In our experience the filter needed to be replaced when it was so clogged with the minerals from the water that it wasn't absorbing anymore! It never lasted us as long as 3 months, and this is an animal-free home.

More than "filtering" dust and dander as we are led to believe, the so called filter is just a wick sucking up water, which the fan evaporates into the air...

That was the whole point that motivated me to start the thread.
    Yeah, that's the problem I've had. I can prolong the life of the wick by turning it over, but I know Honeywell won't be creating these wicks forever.

How does your method compare to a new wick, with regards to water being sent into the air? With a new wick in my humidifier, the tank drains in about two days.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

As I said at the beginning, we are using new (rinsed) J-Cloths. 2 in a small humidifier or the medium size are sufficient. They keep moist and soft maybe a week, with the machine on all the time. It is obvious they do the job of the "filter", as the large tank needs water every 2 or 3 days, and we check the hygrometer to make sure we have between 45 and 50% humidity indoors. After a week or so the cloths start getting clogged, harden and need replacing.

Super-conscious conservationists can boil them in water mixed with white vinegar, which would remove the minerals, the way vinegar is used in kettles, etc to remove the scale. I know it works with them, then they can be given other uses.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We went out to walmart (where we bought our humidifier.. bionaire brand) yesterday and they don't sell that brand anymore, OR the filters. We are having a heck of a time finding them. I should look online. our house is so dry it is unreal.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Torontonian

What size J cloth are you using? Thanks