What's your limit?? (AC)
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    McD
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default What's your limit?? (AC)

What's your limit or the threshold it has to hit before you turn the air conditioner on in your house?

Do you wait for a certain date? Do you wait until it hits a certain temperature in your house?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Dates are pointless. If it's too hot, it's too hot. If it's too cold, it's too cold. I'm not going to be miserable in my own house.

It's not a temp, it's how it feels. Eighty-five, sunny, and humid is a lot different than eighty-five, overcast, and dry.

I guess what I'm getting at is I play it by ear. If the house is too hot and/or humid, I'll turn on the AC unless it's late in the day, since it usually cools off here at night.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I also play it by ear. I can take it if I feel hot and sticky, if it is already late afternoon, and I know it will be cooling off soon, if it is already hot in the morning, on the a/c goes. I can tolerate high, dry temps better than lower, more humid temps though.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It has to hit 100 degrees before I'll turn on the AC. I'll use ceiling fans before that but my hard core / ain't no way it's coming on, is 100 degrees.

Of course, that takes some strategy - open windows at night and close mid-morning, use shades to keep the sun out and no baking or serious cooking. I also live alone so I can hang out in a sports bra and boxers if need be.

Need to edit per someone's post - I live in Phoenix. Arizona. Where 115 degrees is not unheard of for weeks on end. We have central AC, I have an older block (brick) home that has had new windows and outside doors and I have a ceiling fan in every room, except the bathrooms. When it gets hot (and it does) it does not cool off at night. Night time lows might be 95 degrees. And although we're touted as "it's a dry heat" we typically hit monsoon season (50% humidity at a minimum) by the 4th of July and it stays that way until the end of September.
    Last edited by JerryG; 03-18-2012 at 05:53 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Haven't have our on in 9 years. Too costly.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We have never had a air conditioner.

Years ago, we just opened the screened windows, and used fans to move the air around.
    When we added on our porch deck, we now have a nice extended roof over the deck, and it really helps with shade. We still use fans but only if really necessary.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

If it were up to me I'd never turn it on hehe. Personally I'd rather have fans on in the house. During the day I'm home alone and bf is at work so i typically turn our oscilating fan on in whatever room i'm in and I keep all the windows open. It has to get reallly really hot in the house for me to want the AC on.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Our old house had crank out windows so we couldn't have one. New place has "normal" windows so we'll probably get a small one for the bedroom. So to answer your question, when the humidity is going to wreck my chances of a good nights sleep, it will go on. During the day we'll suffer.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It depends a lot on how much shade is around your house, too. If you have large mature trees, the house will be much cooler than if you're in a new development or something with no trees.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post
    What's your limit or the threshold it has to hit before you turn the air conditioner on in your house?
    Couldn't resist this.............must be pretty high, as I don't have
    any AC.

But then..........don't live where there is high humidity and have a fan in every room. The most that I would have to run AC......THE MOST.......would be maybe two weeks on a really hot summer. And we haven't seen one lately!!! (the reason I haven't put it in)

YOU GUYS ARE GETTING THE HEAT.............we are still freezing our butts off here!!!!!! It is like the heat backed up to the EDGE of Montana.........and then stopped............and Montana NEVER warms up before we do............:ack" UNFAIR!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We have window units in the upstairs bedrooms. If it gets hard to sleep because of heat for dh it goes on. Same for the kids.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

This thread would be ever so much more interesting if people would put a general location under their avatars.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My ac is on right now. Due to health issues and some meds that I take I can't get hot so I run the ac to stay comfortable and so I can breathe easier.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We have two room a/c units. We only use them when the weather is close to or at 100F. It really doesn't get that hot here though, usually only a few days out of the summer (think like four tops).

We usually only run them during the day because it cools off here at night. We also have ceiling fans in every room and we use those mainly. We do the open the house up at night and close it before it starts heating up thing.

As for location, we are on the coast side of Portland (ie, to the west). I know that helps to keep us cooler also.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

we turned ours on last week, we've been in the 80's in Oklahoma. I am going to be comfortable, like someone else said, the temp can be low but if the humidity is high the AC comes on.
    Terry

Jan grocery /275.00

YTD grocery

New Recipe 1/24
    Items repurposed

as of 1-11

Personal challenge, 5 A Day
    put away, throw away, give away
    at least 5 items a day

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast