Pans in dishwashers - do yours get clean? Do you rinse? Etc.
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Pans in dishwashers - do yours get clean? Do you rinse? Etc.

Just wondering if your pans get clean when you put them in the dishwasher? Does it depend on what's in them? Do you soak them? I never used to soak my pans and I'd put them in the dishwasher and they'd never get clean - I'd always end up washing by hand anyway. I got a new dishwasher and I started soaking them and now they seem to get cleaner in the dishwasher. Just wondering if anyone has a dishwasher that doesn't require soaking of pans to get them clean? Or is this pretty typical?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't always soak my pans. Unless there was cheese or something sticky in there. I never let them dry out though. I rinse always when they are still hot.

I put them in the dishwasher unless I run out if room, then I hand wash. I hate hand washing!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I always hand wash my pans and put them away.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I rinse off visible chunks of food bits. Our d/w seems to do a good job of cleaning pots & pans - the very few that do get to go in there. I find certain detergents do a better job then others though.

(my gf will use a scrubby on a handle with liquid dishsoap to 'pre-clean' her dishes...after watching her do this a few times, I basically told her to just rinse and put in the drying rack )

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Our dishwasher is over 20 yrs old so it is really just a sanitizer. We scrubby everything that goes in it. The pots and pans get handwashed.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've never gotten good results using the dishwasher for pots and pans. I hand wash and dry my cookware and knives.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I usually soak mine since I only run it every other day or so, so the pans sit for a while before they go in. I'll also soak if it's something greasy and crusted on.

I've also found that if I'm not soaking or scrubbing, using the "power scour" option does a much better job. I usually try and use "energy saver" but sometimes that doesn't always happen, LOL.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Like others here, I wash my pans by hand. Whenever I've emptied one from what was cooking in it, I immediately (or a.s.a.p.) put some water in it and put it back on the hob, even when it's turned off. There is always some residual heat and it warms the water and this is a start to the cleaning of the pan.
    The only pan I do put in the dishwasher is the small one that I only use for hard-boiling eggs. I don't know why I think this is OK
    Cleaning out the dishwasher filter is a messy enough job, without there being the gunge from pans in there as well.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have a fairly new diswasher and if I want them to get clean I have to put them on steam clean. My old dishwasher didn't do a thing. My new dishwasher has sanitize, high heat, light wash, all the bells and whistles.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I hand-wash pots and pans, sometimes soaking in Dawn first to loosen crud. sometimes I still have to use an SOS pad (remember those? they STILL work LOL). I use a lot of cast iron, which of course can't go in DW or even soak in Dawn, so I use a lot of elbow grease and "husband power." What I use my DW most for is parrot toys, perches, rope swings, and dishes. It gets them REALLY clean and sanitized. I DO have a pots-and-pans cycle on my new DW but I've never used it. I may just have to give that a try. I just never thought about using it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I hand wash NOTHING. Everything goes in the dishwasher. I do at least one load a day, but very often I do two. Our dishwasher is less than a year old and it gets everything off without having to pre-scrub or pre-wash. I put some pretty cooked and caked on stuff in there, too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I wash my pots and pans by hand. I put them directly into soapy hot water if there is something that will be hard to remove. Finish dishwashing tablets RUINED one of my pots and a pan for my toaster oven.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Neeley View Post
    I hand wash NOTHING. Everything goes in the dishwasher. I do at least one load a day, but very often I do two. Our dishwasher is less than a year old and it gets everything off without having to pre-scrub or pre-wash. I put some pretty cooked and caked on stuff in there, too.
    OK - I have to ask - what kind of dishwasher do you have?