new freezer?

Thread: new freezer?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default new freezer?

When buying a new freezer what brand do you lean too and what extras would make you buy it?? Now I am already going with the chest freezer as we lose power here often and it can be for weeks and chest freezer stay cold alot longer than an upright. I will be replacing a 10 cubic foot chest freezer, I have a 20 cubic foot upright and another small upright. Just looking for recommendations. I will be buying the 24.5 cubic foot size.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We went with Kenmore for our upright, but that was only a year ago so I can't vouch for Kenmore freezer longevity. The small chest we bought is a Haier we got a killer deal on for Black Friday a couple years ago. I don't especially like Haier products, but we use that freezer only that would not spoil if we had to do without that freezer for a few weeks, like peanut butter, cookies, flour, nuts, etc. We pick up a lot of stuff like that on clearance so need a place to keep it so it doesn't get old before we can use it.

We had never had an upright before except for our side by sides, and I wish now we would have gotten another chest freezer. The way I had our old one organized, it was actually easier to find things than the upright, and it was easier to defrost, and it kept things colder, plus the cold air didn't fall out every time the door opened. But we have the upright now and we'll be keeping it.

We specifically did not want an Energy Star freezer. IMO, the compressors aren't big enough in those and they fail sooner than a non-ES compressor. Any money we'd save on electricity would not make up for having to repair or replace the freezer more often.

We also did not want a freezer with an electronic control panel. They are a lot more expensive, and if something goes wrong with that panel, it's an expensive repair.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

freebs I will go check and see what mine is..Paige bought it in Nov..after ours died..it was used and bought 18 years ago..lol

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by freebs View Post
    When buying a new freezer what brand do you lean too and what extras would make you buy it?? Now I am already going with the chest freezer as we lose power here often and it can be for weeks and chest freezer stay cold alot longer than an upright. I will be replacing a 10 cubic foot chest freezer, I have a 20 cubic foot upright and another small upright. Just looking for recommendations. I will be buying the 24.5 cubic foot size.
    Being an experienced freezer user..........you probably already know the basics.......and most of them that size will have them.

I lean towards Whirlpool on appliances.........but bought a Kenmore for my 'tiny one' a few months ago...........as it was the size I wanted and all the WP I looked at were bigger. It was also on a 'decent' sale at the time.................

I always like.............a locking one...............NOT self defrosting.........and a light inside (usually in the lid).............baskets always help, and with one that big I would even ask about throwing in extra baskets.............only had them do that once...............but worth a try.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Kenmore IS made by Whirlpool!Same as Maytag,all made by Whirlpool.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Thanks all, i went with the fridgidare brand, it is a 24.5 cubic foot. non frost free. Has 3 dividers and 3 baskets. I waited and it was onsale $100 cheaper than what i was planning.