Repair or replace?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Repair or replace?

Our house is getting to be that dreaded age - 10 years old - which seems to be the age now when all the original appliances go kaput!

I simply don't like our refrigerator but it has yet to give up. In the meantime, we've done service on the dryer, washer, over-the-range microwave, water heater, and over-the-range microwave to keep them all going. The dishwasher limps along - sometimes working correctly and sometimes not. I'm okay with that. I can hand-wash dishes and use the dishwasher as a big ol' drying rack if I want.

In the meantime, our range (stovetop and oven) has blown up - literally. It fried the main circuit board. We can replace the board for about $160 OR Memorial Day sales are still going on and I could buy a new unit for around $600. My usual decision point is when the repair costs half the price of new so this doesn't quite meet that criteria.

On the other hand, there is nothing big I really need a range for. I have so many other appliances that can do the same thing - microwave, indoor grill, BBQ, hot plate, crockpot, etc. The only thing we'd miss is the oven for baking cookies and biscuits and we really don't do that a lot. In other words, I could wait to replace or repair the darn thing. I simply don't see the range as a vital piece of kitchen equipment.

What would you do?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oh, and maybe I should clarify ... the current range is just a basic model.

If I buy a new range it will be a really nice one. With sales and gift cards my husband earns through work, we'd get a high end range for a moderate price.

Then again, I could shop sales and use the gift cards for a refrigerator that I really, really want. I just wouldn't buy one now because I don't really need it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

well - here is what i would do if it were my situation. i would continue to save for the fridge and let the stove go. not repair. if it does completely stop working then i would just buy a basic low end stove to do just what you would need. a fridge is something you deal with every day several time so i would get just what i wanted.

good luck deciding

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

well our stove is 26 yrs. old and still going.
    so you can see where this is going. I grill in the summer,microwave and just use the top. I generally end up buying baked goods on clearance if at all.
    So I guess I would go get a double hot plate from Walmart. I have a burner on the grill too. I tend to use the stove in the Winter. So I would save cash and cards then hit the labor Day sale. Hate changing appliances in the winter.
    I am currently 1/2 heartedly shopping for freezer to replace the one that died before winter.
    IDK was that even helpful??lol So little sleep,so pretty out.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yeah, we broke out the BBQ and the two burner counter-top hot plate but it is amazing how many things you want to bake when you no longer have an oven. Oh, and the old unit is completely dead. There is no limping along with it.

We broke down and bought the nice replacement. The good thing about a range is we don't have to sell it with the house. We can take it with us when we move.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

My vote was going to be for the stove and then read your choice. Me... it's one thing to have the fridge that still works and another not to have a stovetop nor oven period. I'd rather have both working and get the fridge later.
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon/Sales Challenge Feb
    $8.00

Grocery Challenge/Feb
    Goal $250.00
    Total $33.55

Eat Out No More Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp/8

No Spend Challenge/Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp 4

Change Jar 2020
    $

Christmas Fund 2020
    $

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I agree with NikoSan.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Glad you got the new one.

For me, it would have been go that day and get it fixed or replaced. LOL ROFL I do a ton of cooking, baking, etc. and use my oven (oven and stovetop) way too often to go without. Although I could limp along a short time with the microwave and grill and smoker, I still want my working oven. That would be a full stop we are not doing anything else until it is working thing for me personally.
    2020 Pay Off Debt Challenge: $25,675.45/$25,676.45 (Goal COMPLETED: Pay Off By 12/30/2020)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

good question