Bread Machine...is it worth it?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Bread Machine...is it worth it?

Ok, ladies...

I'm considering putting out 40.00 + tax on a bread machine. I want opinions...Pro or Con welcome.

If you're Pro, what brand would you recommend and what about yeast...bulk? Places that sell in bulk? that sort of thing.

If you're Con, Why?

TYIA!

Graci

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Uhm-- I'm pro and con

I use my machine more for making doughs , than actually making breads. . . cinnamon roll dough, pizza dough. Bread dough I make by hand-- one tiny loaf doesn't go far enough around here.

Pro's:

Easy to use

can set it on a timer and forget it- have fresh baked bread when you get up for breakfast, or when you come home for dinner.

encourages you to try "new" healthier recipes (at least is does me)

Con's:

large and bulky appliance-- it's a hassle for me to drag it out to use it.

can only bake one loaf of bread at a time (I generally bake 6 loaves when I make bread by hand)

I buy bulk yeast at Sam's and freeze it, works great and loads cheaper than buying the tiny little packets. Sour dough is even cheaper though.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Go for it Graci! I use mine all the time, wouldn't be without it.
    I have a Breville.

Julia

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm with sunshine. I like to make cinnamon roll dough in the night with mine.

Another con...I don't like the texture of the bread. There's something about hand-kneaded bread.

I used to use it almost daily, but for the past year...maybe 3 times. I'd rather do it by hand.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I love my bread machine, and I use it for dough and bread. I am not very good at hand kneaded bread.

As for yeast, I just get mine at grocery store. But I swear by King Arthur Flour. My bread rises and pops the lid open on my machine when I use this flour.

http://shop.bakerscatalogue.com/items/

They will also send you a free catalog and they have a lot fo cool stuff.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

~Con~
    I used mine a lot. Then I noticed the pounds packing on. It is so yummy when it is warm with butter. I would easily eat half the loaf.
    I still make bread a lot but by hand. I find I tend not to eat it as fast if I did hard work making it.
    Another bad point is I have no storage in my house. So I had to find a place to put it.
    JM2C

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm like Cheryl...not very good at kneaded dough, that's why I'm thinking of the Br. Mach.

I've been doing some reading and would like to avoid Soy. How hards that!?! LOL We go thru 3-4 loaves of bread a week. More if we do French Toast on the weekend.

I used to find it cheaper to just buy bread dough and keep it for when we ran out of store bought, but they raised prices...yada, yada, yada....

Thanks for all the input!!

Graci

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Graci, if you look at yard sales, you could probably find one for very little $$. You could try it out and see if you liked it. If not, you could put it in your own yard sale.

About every second yard sale, at least in our province has a bread machine for sale.

I didn't like mine. It only made one loaf at a time, the bread was very dense and it just became more practical for me to make my own by hand. In my opinion, getting a KA and using it to knead your bread dough would be a far better investment.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Graci, I have one that you can have RAOK, but I WOULD NEED YOU TO PAY POSTAGE EMAIL ME IF U ARE INTERESTED!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Originally posted by daddys3chicks
    I swear by King Arthur Flour. My bread rises and pops the lid open on my machine when I use this flour.

Do you use their whole wheat flour? I just bought some this week for the first time, and my loaf came out short. My bread machine recommended 1 c bread flour and 1 c wheat flour to help with rising, which is what I did. Think I might try all wheat today and see if that comes out any better.

It also suggested adding gluten when using wheat flour, not sure what I think about that.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Graci, I borrowed a friend's machine for a month. I didn't like using it so I gave it back. Did the same thing with another friend's dehydrator. If you know of anyone that has a bread machine and is willing to give it up for a whole month, borrow it! You will then know 100% if you will like it and use it!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

tnmimzie, just a suggestion, but I'd try 1/4c ww flour & 1 3/4 c white. Then I'd gradually adjust more & more ww, and less white into it until you get the amount you can use to get a loaf that you like.

And, I'd get the gluten...it helps.

I'm using 1/2 c ww to 10 cups white for 4 loaves. We like it better & I get a good rise.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I had one once... I didn't care for it.. the loaves were too dense, I didn't like the way the crust came out, and you could only make one thing... loaves with a funny shape. I use my Kitchen Aid mixer now for mixing and kneading, and it works like a charm. And the big bowl is great for rising too!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks mom22grls. I think your suggestion is a good one. I see some baking in my future today

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I agree with homesteadmom, I got mine at the AM-vet store for $3.98. Used it a couple of times and it made really good bread. The only thing is that I missed kneadinding the dough and punching it down ( I think I used it for letting out agression), so I don't use it anymore.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast