Stove/oven advice?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Stove/oven advice?

I wasn't sure where to post this so point me in the right direction if this isn't it.

We're getting a new stove/oven for the new house so I've been window shopping on the internet. We have a Home Depot credit card on which we can buy it, with no interest for several months. So, we're going with Home Depot. Our budget is to stay under $500 so we can pay it off easily within the no interest period. We will also have a wood cookstove up there but want a "normal" stove for when we don't want to heat up the house. Oh, and propane is the available fuel here.

On to the questions! Here is one that really caught my eye (on the GE page because it has more details than Home Depot's site):

http://products.geappliances.com/App...HWW&SITEID=GEA

I LOVE the fifth burner, the odd-shaped griddle one! Are there any drawbacks to this? If you have one, do you love it?

Sealed burners--a good thing, right? It seems to me it would be a wonderful thing for cleaning.

Electronic ignitor. Ew. Does that mean we're dependent on electricity to get the burners and oven started or can we use a match when electricity goes out? (It does often here.) Is there another work around for that?

It states the stove is set up for natural gas but we only have propane available. That's just a simple fix with an inexpensive doohickey, right?

Any other advice, tips, pros/cons, etc greatly welcomed! Thanks!

Can you tell I've not shopped for new appliances in forever? LOL

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Re: Stove/oven advice?

Originally posted by owiebrain
    I LOVE the fifth burner, the odd-shaped griddle one! Are there any drawbacks to this? If you have one, do you love it? Love your choice!

Sealed burners--a good thing, right? It seems to me it would be a wonderful thing for cleaning. I don't have a GE, but I do have sealed burners and they are wonderful for clean up.

Electronic ignitor. Ew. Does that mean we're dependent on electricity to get the burners and oven started or can we use a match when electricity goes out? (It does often here.) Is there another work around for that? Yep I have electronic ignitors too, and yes you can light the burners with a match, not sure about the oven as I have never done that. We too loose power a lot here.

It states the stove is set up for natural gas but we only have propane available. That's just a simple fix with an inexpensive doohickey, right? It was so long ago I don't remember the cost, but we just called the company that services our propane and the tech did it for us, same with our dryer. In NY a qualified tech has to do this and you have to be present when they test it so you know what escaping propane smells like, then I remember having to sign a paper stating that.

Any other advice, tips, pros/cons, etc greatly welcomed! Thanks!

Can you tell I've not shopped for new appliances in forever? LOL

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Diane, I'd be awfully careful about checking first that the conversion is even possible, let alone cheap.

Those sorts of things, the appliance store or place you buy the stove, expects you to deal with making sure it's compatible with your fuel first, and they might get cranky about taking it back if it doesn't work as expected.

Talk to a gas fitter, and I'd suggest emailing the company that makes the stoves, but keep copies of ALL correspondence so that if they say yeah sure no problem, and it turns out later to be a big problem, and they try to back out, you have it in writing.

As to the closed burners, mine aren't gas, but I've got a glass top electric, and I absolutely LOVE it.

SO SO SO much more easy to keep clean, and it looks so sleek and pretty too.

So I'd say YES to the closed burner system if it's anything like mine.

Oh and mine has a 5th thing at the back for warming stuff and its' handy.

I'd be thinking a built in griddle would be the cat's whiskers!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks, guys!

Turns out the nat gas to propane conversion is a simple deal. Easy-peasy and the stove even includes it. I should have known that but, apparently, I'm getting senile. LOL

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Diane, be careful about converting the stove to propane. We purchased a new gas stove last summer, and the fellow at Home Depot told us it was SIMPLE to convert it from Nat Gas to Propane, just screw in some fittings. Yeah right!!! After DH stewed over the directions for a while, we just called an appliance guy to change the fittings -- less than $50 I think. It was worth it to know we weren't going to asphyxiate ourselves.

As for being dependent on electricity to light your stove, I am pretty sure you can use a match if the electricity goes out. I don't think this will vary from stove to stove --- and we have always been able to light our various stoves over the years with a match in a power outage. I wouldn't use the oven, though.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We're renting right now, and I'm glad to have the opportunity to try-before-buying on the sealed glass stove. I thought I'd like it but I HATE IT HATE HATE IT!!
    Get the least little spill ( and I don't know about you, but potatotes tend to boil over on me, and pasta) and the starch-scented water cooks onto the burner, stinking up the place, and there's nothing you can do about it! The water spillover doesn't run down into the drip pans on regular stoves. The stove needs to be very carefully cleaned every single tme, whether theres been a spill or not - and trust me, if you miss a spill, you'll smell it and regret it. For one thing, your meal must first finish cooking, so you either must move it to another burner, or let it continue to cook and stink. And, either way, these burners take a long time to cool down. (One advantage: they heat up quickly, too!)

Can you tell I woulnd't buy one?
    ~Mary

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Jean, I finally pinned hubby down long enough to ask him about the conversion thing and he said he's done it to most of the stoves we've had so far and it's a really simple fix. (That's why I said I should have known that. LOL) Why wouldn't you use the oven?

Mary, thanks for the BTDT. So you have a regular stove, not one of those flat-top deals, but with glass burners? I've never heard of those so that's why I'm asking. Very good point! Ew. Does yours have a well underneath the burners, though, or is there just no place for the spills to go other than level with the burner? (Trying to paint a picture in my mind so I know what to look out for.) The one we've picked has a well for the liquid spills but it's hard to judge exactly how big it is from just photos. I'll be checking that out in person first!

Thanks to you both!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Solid glass surface. It's an electric stove. The burners are some kind of halogen lamps that glow and heat the pot sitting on the glass above it. Spills are contained on the glass surface because mine has a little lip all round the outside edge and so the whole surface is a little below that lip.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Jean, I finally pinned hubby down long enough to ask him about the conversion thing and he said he's done it to most of the stoves we've had so far and it's a really simple fix. (That's why I said I should have known that. LOL) Why wouldn't you use the oven?

Mary, thanks for the BTDT. So you have a regular stove, not one of those flat-top deals, but with glass burners? I've never heard of those so that's why I'm asking. Very good point! Ew. Does yours have a well underneath the burners, though, or is there just no place for the spills to go other than level with the burner? (Trying to paint a picture in my mind so I know what to look out for.) The one we've picked has a well for the liquid spills but it's hard to judge exactly how big it is from just photos. I'll be checking that out in person first!

Thanks to you both!
    You're welcome!

Unlike Canadiangardener's our stove is simply a flat sheet of glass over completely sealed coils. There is the tiniest lip that will keep liquids from running onto the floor, bu there is no bowl at all underneath the burner to catch drips from that burner. One sheet of glass covers all.

Mind you, it looks really cool! And it heats up really fast, so I know there are energy savings, but I really, really... well, you know, HATE IT! (Oh, BTW, it's only a year or two old, so it's not een one of the first generation ones. I know some people love them, and I thought -- and hoped!! -- I would, but I guess I'm too sloppy of a cook!))

Blessings,
    Mary

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks! The ones you two are talking about are completely different than the one that I linked to so that makes me feel better! Unless I find out something horrible about it or it doesn't pass the in-person once-over, we'll be ordering it in a week or two.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Why wouldn't you use the oven?

Well, maybe I'm wrong, but I wouldn't use the oven during an electrical outage because I'm guessing the thermostat is electrical too --- but again I may be wrong, and its probably different on different stoves.

Glad to hear DH has experience doing the conversion kit! I was pretty mad at the fellow at Home Depot who told us it was simple to change and then it wasn't the case with ours.

Good luck!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks for clarifying, Jean. You have a good point there! Hmmm... I'll have to try to find the answer to that one.

Well, we ordered it last night so I guess we're stuck with it anyway. LOL We have a wood cook stove, too, so I guess I shouldn't be worried about lack of electricity too much.

Thanks for all of the help, everyone! I'm sooo excited to be able to bake again!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm sooo excited to be able to bake again!!
    Oh my I know what you mean! DH and I were without an oven for a long while during the early years of our marriage. I soooooo longed to bake things, and when we finally got equipped with an oven the first thing I baked was a chicken. Yum.