Microwave Ovens??
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Microwave Ovens??

I was not sure where to put this. Hope it is o.k. in this spot.

I do not have a microwave oven. I would like to get one. I need it to be inexpensive (under $100) but pretty good. It does not have to be big or gadgety. I will not be using it for cooking, just warming soup, ect. for my lunch. Any ideas or brand suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I personally don't have any advice, but I wanted to point you in the direction of these two free CR articles:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/a...Term=microwave

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/a...Term=microwave

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't know much about brands, etc....I kind of think now they are all about the same unless you want special features. I bought a nice one a few years ago at Walmart for about 70.00...don't remember the brand, dd has it now. I've seen them as low as 39.00.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sorry- looks like that second link might be a paid link. It SAID it was free. Grrr- I have this problem with the CR website all the time- they say things are free, but when you get there, they aren't. I'd sure like to give THAM a rating!!!

Hope the first link works for you.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Costco, Walmart, Canadian Tire if you live in Canada. All have good low prices and carry reasonable brands and will refund if it's defective within the year. You'd notice within a month or two if it was weird.

They save a lot of electricity when used to reheat food as opposed to a toaster oven, the big oven or a frying pan.

guest7
    Tourist

You can pick a good one up for $80 or so. wait for the sale. but do you REALLY need one JUST to warm up soup? That sure is an expensive soup warmer.
    If I were tight on $$ I'd wait till they were practically giving it away. But I can tell you that you'll do better to pick up a secondhand one. People are always getting rid of them.. not because they don't work.. but rather they upgrade or move into a house that has one installed. Check out around Universities and Colleges in May.. students want to get rid of stuff then.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I just bought a new one at Walmart for $35. It has multiple power settings, a turntable, auto defrost and a bunch of things I don't use, like a baked potato button & a popcorn button. It also has a timer, and while the timer is running, you can nuke something and not mess up your timer.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oh my goodness. You all are great.

Kimberly, the consumer report was very helpful. It gives me information and a ballpark figure for micros "Price range: $40 to $250 (countertop models);" $35 at Walmart seems perfect

Cheryl, it is an expensive soup warmer I am sure that I will find other uses for it. My girlfriend swears by hers. Also, I have a gift card that was a present when I retired last January (2005). I have been saving it, but I don't want to forget it or have it expire. So I am going to use it to help me buy at least one modern appliance

I think I will start looking around this week. Hopefully Iwill find one between $35 and $50.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

When we moved here 2 months ago we got one at Wal Mart it is an off brand. It was only 40.00 I thought I would have to replace it with a better one soon. So far it is the best microwave I have ever had. It warms food perfectly, defrosts perfectly and pops every grain of popcorn in the bag on the popcorn setting. Oh and it also bakes potatoes just right.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

When our big one crapped out a couple of years ago, I went and got this one at Wal*Mart http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...90546%3A132950

Works great for just 2 people, warming, baking potatoes, making popcorn etc.... and I'm sure I didn't pay that much, so hopefully it is less in the store than online.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It looks like Walmart is winning hands down I wasn't sure if there was a Walmart near me, but I saw one the other day.

Dee I am going to check out the link you gave me. Maybe they will have a sale this week.

Talking to you all is like having a pesonal consumer opinion poll.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

LOL and we are all loving the details. The only thing more fun than planning your own frugal safari in the hunt of a bargain is looking over the shoulder of a friend on her safari!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wish you lived close to me, we've got one we're selling in our next yard sale. It works great but my in-laws just gave us a brand new microwave (still not sure why!). Maybe during yard sale season you could find one?