Sugarcane ethanol
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Sugarcane ethanol

~I read this interesting article on Brazilian ethanol biofuel and the facts in it are very interesting indeed. Definately confirms my earlier opinion that ethanol made from corn is wasteful. http://www.mcclatchydc.com/world/story/35360.html ~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hopefully cellulosic ethanol will pan out.

General Motors finances ethanol maker Coskata

DETROIT — General Motors (GM) says it is investing in a fledgling company that claims its secret process could be able to make ethanol from waste in large quantity as soon as 2010 for $1 a gallon or less, half the cost of making gasoline.

Bill Roe, CEO of 18-month-old ethanol maker Coskata, says the company's process uses bacteria developed at the University of Oklahoma and existing gasification technology to generate 99.7% pure ethanol, plus water. He says the method should leapfrog cellulosic production, which has been seen as the next step from today's ethanol production using corn.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/indust...-coskata_N.htm

UKBB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I completely agree. Using food as fuel is causing havoc worlwide. I also hope that cellulosic ethanol will be developed, because an alternative is needed. Gas prices are not going down! Thank you for the link.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ethanol is wasteful, period. The energy you get out of it is less than the energy it takes to process it. A gallon of ethanol has around 70% of the energy density of gasoline. Without going into a huge explanation involving organic chemistry, the fact is, where i live the gas is 10% ethanol. What it basically means is I pay more for gas, and get less mileage from it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by ab27 View Post
    Ethanol is wasteful, period. The energy you get out of it is less than the energy it takes to process it. A gallon of ethanol has around 70% of the energy density of gasoline. Without going into a huge explanation involving organic chemistry, the fact is, where i live the gas is 10% ethanol. What it basically means is I pay more for gas, and get less mileage from it.
    Ahhh, but it burns cleaner and makes the US less dependent on foreign oil. If the US would have been a little bit more proactive on figuring out alternative fuels in the last 30+ years since the last gas crisis - then we would be better off. Ethanol is still in the "baby" stages compared to the history of refining crude oil. Sugar ethanol is better alternative, but the US cannot grow sugar cane the way South America can.
    I disagree with one posters opinion that corn ethanol production has put the world in a food crisis. The fact that the US still pays farmers NOT to grow crops could very well be part of it. Our groceries cost as much as they do because the gas it cost to get it to the grocery cost so much.
    I would personally rather pay more for a bio-fuel per gallon and have it burn cleaner than continue to watch the rich get richer with high crude oil prices. They are going to go up, and up, and they may come down some, but we have seen the last of $2.79 a gallon.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I forgot to mention, as part of a grant, this summer I am working with a professor at my college on biodiesel and gasoline additives. We will be measuring the exhaust emissions and determining what the most efficient/least polluting mixture is. I can keep anyone here posted if you are interested. We are supposed to conclude by early August.