Is anyone going car-free?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Is anyone going car-free?

My husband and I both own cars, but I hardly ever use mine since we live downtown and can walk to work, the grocery store and everywhere else we want to go. He needs his vehicle for work. But recently a number of our friends have either gone from two cars to one or given up cars completely. The motivations all vary, but most do it either due to the cost of gas or because it's greener to go car-free.

Has anyone else gone car-free or downsized to one vehicle? I'd love to hear about your experience.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

No, we are unable to do this because of where we live. We live in the rural area, and have to drive everywhere we need to go. Kinda stinks but that is the trade off for the country living.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Japan's youth are.

Japan's Young Won't Rally Round the Car

TOKYO -- In the teenager-teeming Harajuku neighborhood here, Nissan Motor Co. designers have dreamed up a bubble of a car that drives sideways and comes equipped with a talking robot and another meant more for hanging out than getting places. They are trying to woo some of the world's toughest customers: young Japanese, who have fallen out of love with the automobile.

UKBB

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Pretty Close

I started walking to the bus park and ride instead of driving there. I was driving 44 miles RT to school, but now take the bus. Even if I drove to the park and ride I would only be spending 10 bucks a month on gas! better than before, with gas and parking monthly it was $250+

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'd love to, but we can't. All DH's truck does is either sit in our driveway, or sit in the airport parking lot - but he still needs it to get to/from the airport.

When we lived in KY and were only 10 minutes from the airport I often picked him up/dropped him off. We also had only a 6 month old...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

My fiance and I are going to start car pooling to work together soon. We work within 15 minutes of each other, but we are both on opposite sides of the same city (making it a bit inconvenient too). We each have cars that are paid off and are only 6 years old. I can't see us actually parting with one of them, but we are driving them less and less lately.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We are getting better but not able to give it up all together. Living where we do,it's not possible to live without one.
    Dh makes a 50 mile round trip to work everyday. When he retires next April I see us only driving usually a couple times a month for grocery shopping (20 min drive away) & hopefully doctor 1x a year & dentist trips 2x a year. We already go to the dentist at the same time and will coordinate dr. visits too if possible.
    Need to add in a few drives to visit family & friends & can't forget the library. I'll pick out my books online, make sure they are there & grab them quickly on the visits to see family.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am like some of the others and living in a rural setting with no public transportation makes it almost impossible to give up the car. However I am really cutting back on the car usage. I drove about 30 miles the last two weeks combined and my husbands truck is only used on Saturdays, he has a company truck for through the week. His truck can't be given up either for we use it for our cattle work and shows.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

i was with out a car for 2 mos and i took the bus everywhere i live right on the bus line and u know since i got a car again i am spending more money for gas and tires and insurance and repairs i really liked not having a car alot less worries and sure saved alot of money so i may go back to ridding the bus just keep the car here at home full of gas and use it if i really ned to

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Not anytime soon, but......

when we retire, we have quite a list of must haves for that home. I've just added "near businesses we frequent" to that list! In addition to low maintenance, city water and sewer, natural gas, basement, etc!

We too live in a rural area. DH and I both drive 50 Round trip to work. We just can't give up a car. Actually, we have 3 cars - one compact, 1 SUV and 1 truck. I don't like to put the kiddos in the compact one, so DH drives it to work, he gets out 2 hours before I do, so he picks up my SUV and picks up the kiddos. We use the truck at least once a month to haul stuff.

So, we'll keep them all right now. It's nice when one needs to repairs to have a third one available. The compact car only cost me about $250 year for plates and insurance.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Haven't had one for a couple of years. Did take some time to get used to. Luckily there are two bus lines within walking distance. Also there are a couple stores within walking distance. If I need to buy something to big to carry on the bus I can usually get a ride. This doesn't happen very often.

The expense of a car for me is too much. Also don't have to worry about all the problems a car brings. Some times it gets a little difficult (bad weather). However I am getting healthier with all the walking around. Maybe you could try just using one car for a month and see if that works for the two of you. Then you can decide on getting rid of one car.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We are keeping both our cars for now, but if we end up living in a bigger city close to: shops, grocery, busline, or subway we will only keep one car for long distance travel to visit family or get out of the city we live in. The rest of the time we will walk or take public transportation.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We don´t have a car. I don´t even have a driving license. We live next to a subway station. If we need a car for something, we rent.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We are in the process of reducing as well.

I walk to the bus stop - or get dropped off by DH - and the bus brings me in to work.

But, since our cars are paid for, and the insurance is only about $600/yr. it's not that big of a deal to own our second one.

I don't drive it much so hardly any gas.

But I think we might be seeing a trend.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast