Scooters!!

Thread: Scooters!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thumbs up Scooters!!

The gas prices are killing me. My answer? I am selling two of our cars (we have 3 if you can believe that) and are replacing them with little 49cc scooters. The scooters do not require to be licensed/registered in the state I live in BUT they *are* street legal. They also do not require insurance although I live on an Army post and had to get insured for their requirements (insurance ran me $70 a year). They go up to 40 mph get 120+ mpg.

Anyhow, we kept the minivan to haul our 4 kids around in but whenever we can, we are scooting!!! Oh. And they cost a whopping $2K. They were bought w/the revenue generated from getting rid of our gas guzzlers.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Fantastic idea! I read recently that there are lots of scooter sales!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We are thinking of doing something similar, but will be getting rid of one of our three cars instead of two cars. It just seems so economical these days.

Enjoy your new scooters!!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My neighbor just bought a scooter to drive back and forth to work on........so far they are happy with it!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My son has a Honda Ruckus. He bought it last October, and has just put his 3rd tank of gas in it. He gets about 90miles to the gallon. In Illinois, scooters under 49cc may be driven without a motorcycle license, but you must have a valid driver's license. Scooters also must be insured, and he pays about $200/year (he just turned 18).

My son is 6'2 and 170lbs, and he rides very comfortably, but he says that the top MPH is greatly exaggerated. The Ruckus does well at 30 MPH, and he could do 35 if he needed to, but he says he would have to be going down a steep hill to get up to 40.

All in all, he finds the Ruckus to be great transportation for the hops he takes around town, and they are a lot of fun to drive. The scooter won't take the place of his car, but his car gets a lot of rest these days!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yeah, but was that 40 MPH clocked with a 100 lb waif on it?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If I put my big butt on a scooter it would barely chug to the end of the driveway before coughing and dying. No way would it get anywhere close to 40 mph.....4 would be pushing it!

DH is 6'8' and has a touch of chunk himself. I can't even picture his long, tall self on a scooter.

He and I have had the Vespa discussion and it ended in giggles. It's great for those who have the build (weight, height or both) for it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

No, it goes 40 and I weight close to 200 lbs and am 5'11". It surely won't go over 40 though...lol. For me,that doesn't matter because I live on post and can't go over 40 on 90% of the roads anyways.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Please remember on a scooter to also wear a helmet (not required in all states) and a brightly colored vest or jacket. Those things are small (and quiet) and hard to see on the road!!! We've had a huge increase in scooter and motorcycle accidents this year. We wear *bumble bee* jackets in our motorcycle. They are bright yellow and made with a teflon coating that slides on the pavement if worse comes to worse! It really makes a huge visablity difference. We've had 4 cycle accidents this weekend alone....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I wear a PT belt everywhere I go and have a DOT helmet w/flames on it. LOL

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Do you drive these along the side of the road? If they can't keep up with traffic...I'm just wondering where they are allowed.
    gas milage is neato.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

When I saw the title to your thread...Scooters...I immediately thought it was going to be about the drive through coffee place around here named Scooters! Boy was I off!