You can never plan for everything (van update).
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default You can never plan for everything (van update).

Ok, so a status update on the van:

Ford called us on Friday and told us that they changed the spark plugs and the fuel filter just so that they could get the van to start. It did start, but it was stalling out and sputtering on them so they were going to work on it over the weekend. Since there's no CSR at the dealership on the weekends, we expected not to hear back from them until today.

DH called me this morning before I left the house and gave me an update. He said that they gave the van an oil change and had to replace the mass airflow sensor in the van, but the running total of the repair costs would at least be $1600-$1700. They said something about water that had seeped into the computer, which is what would have made everything go haywire in the first place.

A lesson to you all?

You can't plan for everything when it comes to vehicles.

You could put as much money in the world into a car repair and maintenance fund, but the unexpected things are what hurts the most.

So this month's third paycheck is going to go to three things:

1) Mortgage
    2) Groceries
    3) Paying off a large chunk of the CC.

I absolutely refuse to ask the inlaws for another loan. They've already given us enough and I can't deal with asking them for more.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ouch! I know just how you feel but ours isn't going to hurt near as much as yours. Hubby hit not 1 but 2 deer last Friday night. Thank God he was in the 4x4. They did a little number on the front bumper so now we have to look for a "new" one at the junk yard. There goes at least $200 of our extra pay.

Cat

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Sassyclass View Post
    Ouch! I know just how you feel but ours isn't going to hurt near as much as yours. Hubby hit not 1 but 2 deer last Friday night. Thank God he was in the 4x4. They did a little number on the front bumper so now we have to look for a "new" one at the junk yard. There goes at least $200 of our extra pay.

Cat
    That sucks, but think about all the free dear meat!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Greebo View Post
    That sucks, but think about all the free dear meat!
    Only problem with that is neither one of us like deer meat and they were small deer so smeared on the road. I'm sure the coyote and buzzards enjoyed the free deer meat though. This is the third time he has taken out at least 2 deer in one hit. The first time was in the big truck at work, he took out a doe and the cop informed him he took out 3, a doe that was pregnant with twins. The second time was right after we bought the Cavalier, he took out 2 about a mile from home. We hadn't even made the first payment on the car! And now this. I wonder if a cowcatcher on the front of my little car would be a good idea?

Cat

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

September must have been the month for car repairs. We had to have $800 in repairs done to dh's truck, then the alternator went out on my van (which we fixed ourselves) and that was another $250.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm doing the happy dance here. My "thrifty husband in training" told me he doesn't think he will worry about replacing the bumper. It has a dent but it still serves its purpose. Ahhh the sweet smell of victory.

Cat

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Well I'm glad it wasn't that bad.

We found out yesterday that we're going to have to take the van back, but this time it's a recall thing so we shouldn't be charged for it. Something having to do with the cruise control deactivation switch. I told DH about it and he's calling Ford this week to get the van in.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by MomToTwoBoys View Post
    Well I'm glad it wasn't that bad.

We found out yesterday that we're going to have to take the van back, but this time it's a recall thing so we shouldn't be charged for it. Something having to do with the cruise control deactivation switch. I told DH about it and he's calling Ford this week to get the van in.
    I read this on AOL this morning. It's another fire hazard. It looks like a pretty big recall but they are covering all their bases. They are going back several years and including some models that have not had any trouble yet but they don't want to take any chances. I'm not a Ford fan but kudos to them for taking care of their customers.

Cat

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sorry to hear about the car trouble MTTB.......that sucks!

HANG IN THERE!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The Ford recall is a expansion on what they did a few years back. The truck I drive is a 2003 extended cab 4x4 and that part has already been replaced by their first recall . It was real quick too. They guy came out to the parking lot with the part, and put it on. Maybe at the ford place 10 minutes tops.
    Looks like they added a lot more years onto the first group they did. Our other Ford truck is not affected by this recall.

Registered User pop goes the weasel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I had a recall on my cavalier about the steering colum. It went on to say that there was no danger but wanted to fix it. I found out that it was the ignition switch and that if it malfunctioned it would catch fire. Nope no danger in that now is there lol. I'm a deer magnet. If there is on within 30 miles of me you can bet I'd find some way to hit it. Last time one came down off the bank, hit the front bomper, slid back and stuck it's head in the open window on my arm. Nothing like deer spit on ya at 6 in the morning. Then it got up and ran.Go figure.Hope things go ok for ya