Ford explorer problems:
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Ford explorer problems:

Hey Greebo, I have a question for you and some of the men on this forum or ladies if you can help.

I have a 1992 Ford Explorer and in June bought a new battery, then in August it went dead we charged it and then now its dead again. We thought maybe the cell was bad, so we went and traded it for a new one.
    Fine for a few weeks then dead again. So we took it to someone who tested the electrical system and altinatar (didn't spell that right) nothing, so he recharged the battery and yesterday I went out and its dead again.

Dh won't be able to look at it until sunday but he has no clue as to what it could be. Any ideas where to start looking.
    I'm trying to cut his time down since he works 60 plus hours a week, but he doesn't want to spend $700 to $1000 if its something he can fix on his own.

Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated and I will let everyone know after he looks at it if anything worked
    Thank you in advance.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Is there a light being left on somewhere draining the battery ?
    If the battery is going dead , then either the battery is no good, or the alternator is not charging it back up.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

my durango did this and we never could get it figured out..we replaced both, my dad is even a mechanic..(he hates dodges and fords..oh well) so we got it workin one day and traded it in...and a week later they had their mechanic call us and said nothing they do will get it running..and just to please tell them what was wrong..we told them we had no clue

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think once a battery dies completely it's really no good. We switched to gel cell batteries and love them! Both of our Fords have them.

I would check your battery wires. Clean your cables and try again. It may not be the battery itself?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thank you guys for the suggestions and keep them coming. I never heard of a gel cell, I'll have to tell dh that.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Maybe the end of the cable where it connects to the battery post needs cleaning ? It may not be getting a good solid connection.
    And or maybe there is a problem with a wire. If the wiring is cracked or has a problem, it will keep acting up.
    We just had a cracked wire in our 4 wheeler under the steering wheel that kept shutting the machine off. Thank goodness for a clever mechanic friend.

I've never heard of a gel cell battery either. We have all fords here. A 2003 and a 2006 ,both F150's and a 1941 Ford street rod. All our past vehicles have been Ford trucks.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Check battery cables and not just at the battery.
    There also may be a short and a good shop should be able to trace it.
    Something is drawing that battery down.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

If the battery keeps draining and the alternator is fine, you'll want to check something else in the vehicle.

An electrical "drain" can be anything that is drawing power (draining) from the battery with the engine/key OFF. Every vehicle will have some amount of electrical drain which is normal. Radio and clock memory and engine computer memory will drain a small amount of battery power with the key off, and that is normal.

Tracking down an electrical drain can sometimes take hours! Make sure the shop you choose to help you has a qualified electrical mechanic so you don’t needlessly pay for inaccurate diagnosis time.

Some causes for an electrical drain:

1. Trunk, hood, or interior light or glove box light that is staying on when the engine is OFF

2. Aftermarket radios, CD players, amplifiers, cell phone chargers etc. etc. are notorious for drains

3. Electric seat motors and electric antennae motors that are stuck in the ON position

4. Relays or components under the hood that are ON or running with the engine OFF - for instance electric cooling fan motors, anti lock brake pump motors, air ride suspension pump motors.

Check those first to see if there's an electrical drain.

If you are still having issues, check out this forum:

http://www.ford-forums.com/

They helped us out a lot when we had issues with the CPU in our Windstar.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thank you so much momtotwoboys for that link. Dh says he's going to take one wiring at a time. The guy who looked at it didn't charge me for hooking it up to see if anything electrical showed, but he did mention like you did the doors and seat and glove box. Which I made all was closed when I locked it that night. Hopefully we can fix it, because for a 92 its in really good shape and very clean. It doesn't have a radio but I don't need one. The only seat and they are leather seats that is messed up is the drivers side it has a small tare.
    When dh goes to look at it sunday I am going to print everyone's suggestions so he can have some ideas.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We have some very smart women on this site, the only thing I know how to do is an oil change and regular maintenance, oh and change a tire.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

keep us posted on the car. hopefully it is an easy (cheap) fix

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Had the alternator and battery checked nothing wrong with either, but the guy recommended that we recharge the battery and change the wiring from the battery to the alternator. Dh changed some and its a wait and see game. He also recommended taking the battery back and that it was possible to get two batteries bad ones from the same place. So we will see tomorrow if it worked or in a few days.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Dh went out this morning and the Explorer started up but still was draining from somewhere. He took the tester light and tested all fuses and the only one that didn't light up when the fuse was taken out was the Radio/tow package. So he said we would leave it out since I didn't use either and see if that will help. If not then we will move on to the next thing. I'm just hoping with fingers and toes crossed that this is the problem.
    I've had the explorer it seems like forever and I want it at least for a few more years.
    Thanks again for everyone's help and the web site really helped dh decide what to look for.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks for getting back to us.
    I so enjoy hearing the solution to a stubborn problem
    And or the process how to get there.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

ladytoysdream, I just wanted to say I love your pic of your pets.
    I had a cocker spaniel when the kids were growing up. He was red and his name was scooter. Brings tears to my eyes. I have a lab and a German sherperd mix now. But still the memories.