Every little bit counts!
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Every little bit counts!

Due to the strange cold weather temperatures, our truck's windshield suffered a crack. Unfortunately, our insurance doesn't cover it because it needs to be replaced and not just repaired (what do I pay full coverage for?)

So after calling around and getting a few quotes, I contacted a company who would come to our house and install it for $250.

I got my husband's okay on it and called back to set the appointment in stone and decided why not try to haggle just a little bit? Well, it worked - not by much, but I'll take it! They dropped it down to $225, and that's $25 that will stay in my pocket for longer.

I think I'll attempt haggling with more companies other than just the phone company. What's there to lose? Nothing! I'm going to ask for discounts wherever I go.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Don't you feel like you've achieved a huge goal by getting that lil bit off their original price? Great job - now save save save the $25 lol.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

six of diamonds
    In MI comprehensive ins pays for cracked windshield. Our deductible is more than you are paying to fix it though. I think its $250.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Our comprehensive insurance also pays for a cracked windscreen and we don't have a deductible for this at all thank goodness.

However, I TOTALLY agree with you, every little bit counts.

We get a small amount (€ 23) from one of our sons every month for an expense that we used to pay for him.
    Because we have been used to paying this for him before he got a full time job, we are 'pretending' that we still have to pay it for him, so that when he transfers the money, it goes straight into our savings.
    It's not much but, as you say, every little bit helps.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by SixxOfDiamonds View Post
    I think I'll attempt haggling with more companies other than just the phone company. What's there to lose? Nothing! I'm going to ask for discounts wherever I go.
    Absolutely! My hubby wants to 'die' sometimes over my nerve to ask , but like you said, you've got nothing to lose! And surprisingly, most times, stores and businesses are more than happy to oblige. About a month ago, I had an expired RX coupon for Target's pharmacy to get a free $10 GC. Well, I asked if they would take it, and he said "no problem". He asked though that I spread the word about the good service they provide. I certainly have gladly obliged in return

Ya just never know till you try!! When the opportunity comes around...go for it!!

Theresa

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by craftypam View Post
    six of diamonds
    In MI comprehensive ins pays for cracked windshield. Our deductible is more than you are paying to fix it though. I think its $250.
    Yes, I recall when I lived in Michigan and was able to get my windshield fixed. It only cost me $25 - those were the days.

In North Carolina, apparently, it's a different story.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mamamia View Post
    Absolutely! My hubby wants to 'die' sometimes over my nerve to ask , but like you said, you've got nothing to lose! And surprisingly, most times, stores and businesses are more than happy to oblige. About a month ago, I had an expired RX coupon for Target's pharmacy to get a free $10 GC. Well, I asked if they would take it, and he said "no problem". He asked though that I spread the word about the good service they provide. I certainly have gladly obliged in return

Ya just never know till you try!! When the opportunity comes around...go for it!!

Theresa

Definitely! And as long as this company does a great job, I will be sure to tell people about them.

I'm hoping everywhere I go has a veteran, military, American Quarter Horse Association, AAA or USAA discount. I'm surely going to ask!

A good friend of mine regularly asks for military discounts at stores. Often times they don't have one but are willing to give a senior discount. Sometimes, they do! Lowes and Home Depot for example have 10%. Plenty of clothing stores amazingly give military discounts, too. I just have to remember.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Many places advertise that they give discounts to police, fire, etc. Hubby is a state correctional officer. He ALWAYS asks if the discount is extended to him AND it always is!

He recently found a leather motorcycle jacket on sale for a great price. He asked about the discount and got an additional 10% off. I paid with my PayPal debit card as credit using existing cash and got 1.5% cashback too. On top of the low sale price we saved almost $20.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My son-laws-dad gets discounts at Walmart all the time.He will go in there end up only buying a candy bar and talk them into taking something off it.Sometimes it's only a dime but he says any money saved is better than no money saved.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You never know until you ask! I'm not afraid to ask at all either, it has saved me $ many, many times! Way to go!