Toyota Corolla

Thread: Toyota Corolla

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Toyota Corolla

This week I bought a 2000 model Toyota Corolla, After having it checked, it is mechanically in good condition. I paid cash for it and I want to be able to pay cash for any future repairs etc. Are there any commom problems or issues that may arise and how much should I budget for them. It has done 145 000km, approx. 90 000 miles.
    Thanks

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The biggest complaint I found is it uses some oil, so check it everytime you fill up for the first 3-4 months. After that, you should get a feel for how much it is using, and can lessen how often you check it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

DH and I just bought a 2006 and I LOVE it! It feels so good to be driving around in our "grown-up" car. Haven't noticed any glitches yet, but I'm interested to hear what others have to say.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We have a 2005 and a new 2010 Toyota Corolla and we love them. On the 2005, all we have done in repairs is new tires and a new battery....new brakes are next. It has around 65,000 miles on it.

Thanks for the heads up on the oil thing Russ....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We have a pair of 2000 Toyota Echoes. The one with 245,000 miles is a parts car.

After 150,000 - 200,000 miles, you need to think about the front end steering system. Front wheel bearings, outer tie rod ends and ball joints. I suggest doing the ball joints at the same time as the bearing even if only one needs to be done. It is a bear getting the steering knuckle off. The first time we did a bearing, we spent $600 on a mid-grade consumer-grade air compressor and impact wrench. These tools have already paid for themselves in mechanics' bill savings. Even on a long commute, you should have some warning / ability to wait for a weekend to do this work yourself.

Also in this time frame, water pump and alternator. When one of these goes, the car stops working (or, if you ignore the water pump, the engine siezes and you're much, much worse off). So, when this invariably occurs Monday morning, you may need to take it to a shop if you don't have time to do the work yourself.

There's also something related to the charcoal canister (might just be a switch or solenoid) that throws P440, P441 and P446 EVAP codes that I'm trying to sort out right now. I keep wondering if the parts car would still be a driver if I hadn't just ignored this for several tens of thousands of miles and a few years. (NY allows 1 unready CEL monitor for inspection of 2000 model year, so I just erased the codes and drove around town until only EVAP was not ready to comply with the letter of the law each year). Right now (new to this better way of money management) I'm also budgeting for and sourcing salvage parts to replace this $300 (new, USD) part on our driving Echo.

I know an Echo isn't a Corolla, but they're both Toyota small cars, so hopefully this can help give you a ballpark.

Oh, look into whether your Corolla has a timing chain or a belt. If a belt (Echo has a chain) it is CRITICAL that it be replaced at proper intervals, which yours may already be at. A reputable mechanic can look at it to examine it for wear if you don't know if it was done by previous owners. These small cars use interference engines, and if the timing belt breaks while the engine is running, the engine gets destroyed. A timing belt change is a lot of labor and not cheap, sadly. Maybe $700 USD at a reputable independent shop.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Congrats! I need a car so bad but I'm not getting one until I have enough cash saved (don't want any payments). I'll be looking for a Honda or Toyota. I've had two Camrys and an Accord in the past and they're great cars.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Just wanted to pop in and say congrats on paying cash for your car. Hope you get many happy years with it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

My parents had a Corolla for YEARS....I want to say they had it for about 20.

I can't help you with your questions, but like Darlene, I wanted to say WTG with paying for it with cash