1st snowball on truck didn't quite go as planned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default 1st snowball on truck didn't quite go as planned

We made our first snowball payment on the truck this month. DH waited a few days and then went on-line to see it posted. It posted but it was credited to next month's payment. He called to ask why and the lady told him he had to send principal only payments to another address. He asked why that wasn't on any of the paperwork and she told him because they hardly ever have anyone do that. She corrected the account (per DH, I haven't looked) and gave him the correct address.

DH likes feeling weird.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It's a start, lesson learned for the next time.
    Now, MAKE CERTAIN you tell the DH that you really appreciate the effort he made to get the payment in and then corrected.

I know some will say no need to mollycoddle him but if it gets and keeps him involved, interested and motivated it will be worth it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    It's a start, lesson learned for the next time.
    Now, MAKE CERTAIN you tell the DH that you really appreciate the effort he made to get the payment in and then corrected.

I know some will say no need to mollycoddle him but if it gets and keeps him involved, interested and motivated it will be worth it.
    There's a difference between mollycoddling and rewarding small, initial efforts. Seeing immediate progress is critical to fomenting long-term lifestyle change. This is why DR suggests paying smallest debts first, no matter the interest rate.

Maybe next time you make dinner, make him his fave?

As you keep track of things, you might notice that some months have different interest amounts, even though you're paying extra. This might be due to more days of accrued interest in the billing period (especially February to March), especially if only a small amount extra is made.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I did laugh with him (he thought it was funny that most people don't pay extra) and gave him a big hug. I didn't remind him that a yr ago he was one of those happy to pay the min $ late.

I had my little (that turned into 3? pages) pity party and am now back at it. Maybe when the truck is paid off and I don't have that monthly reminder, I'll get completely over it.

I don't have (I haven't asked for) access to his billing account and normally don't see the bill other than to bring it in. I have been estimating the interest. Per DH I have estimated high and we owe less than I am showing. I don't show much more so I didn't change it. I should keep a better eye on it but as most of you know this is a sore spot for us.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You'll be happier with life enjoying progress rather than holding out for perfection.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by mek42 View Post
    You'll be happier with life enjoying progress rather than holding out for perfection.
    I'm not sure I understand. Life isn't perfect and I don't expect it to be.

If you are talking about the comment on "that monthly reminder", I will never completely forget (unless I have dementia or something) the feelings (fear, hurt, disappointment, frustration, betrayed) I had when he told me he was on his way to get that truck. All those feelings come right back every time I make a payment. I hope it will stop after we pay it off.