How long have your cars lasted??? - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am kind of funny about driving a car once it has reached 100K miles or so. I have no problems with routine maintenance, new tires, etc...But once the major repairs kick in, I lose confidence in the vehicle and prefer to just get another.

We have a 2001 Durango with 101K miles, bought brand new, has seen better days and time for it to hit the bricks. We are replacing it next month. DS turns 16 and we are getting him either a Camero, Mustang or Charger. We are all leaning towards the Charger.

DD has a 99 Civic with 111K miles. Her grandparents gave to her two years ago for her 16th birthday. They had owned it since it was brand new. She leaves next month, moving 100 miles away to college. She won't need her car there and will just leave it here at home. It won't really be driven while she is gone. As long as it is still going, we won't replace it until she graduates college, at which point we will get her a new one for her graduation gift.

We also have a 99 Malibu with 99K miles on it. Bought it 2001 with 65K miles on it. We never drive it. In the past six months we have only put $10 worth of gas in it and driven it less than 20 miles. But, once DH trades in the Durango for DS's new car, DH will start driving the Malibu for a while.

Over the past few years we have bought a couple of "just for fun" cars. In 2003 DH bought me a BMW 535i for Christmas. Loved that car, it was my toy. DH totaled it 6 months after I got it (not DH's fault). In 2004 we bought a Jeep Wrangler, hard top. It was DH's toy. Kept it about a year, had a wreck (again, not our fault), got it fixed and sold it.

BTW - haven't had a car payment in years and even when we buy DS's car next month we won't have one then either.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We recently sold our 93' Honda Accord with 290K miles. My son had been driving it, but needed a pickup for his job. I was sad to see it go.

Normally 10 years is our standard before replacing cars, but sometimes longer.

Our current vehicles are 05' Ford Taurus w/ 98K & 07' Toyota Sequoia w/ 30K, so we've still got several good years left with them.

However, I've got a 15 yr old son that will be getting his license soon, so will be looking for another used car soon. Yikes!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We have a '99, an '03 and an '08. The '99 has required a LOT of repairs lately. We were hoping to keep it for another 4 or 5 years, but may have to reconsider that idea.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Had a 78 (seventy-eight, no typo) Cadillac Deville that we drove until it was old enough to vote! Our mechanic then bought it from us for twice what we paid for it ($200 ) and turned it into a demolition derby car. That thing was a TANK! BUT it had six seatbelts (bench seat in the front) and the insurance was $19 a month. I LOVED that car and hated to see it go.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I would love to thank all of those auto workers who assembled my 1992 Saturn. I absolutely love my car! It has 183,000 miles and still looks brand new. All three of my kids learned to drive with this car, so it's really part of the family. Plus it's a great snow car, leaving all of those over sized pickups and SUVs spinning their wheels in the slush and ice here in the freezing Pacific Northwest. I will keep driving my Sylvia Saturn until she decides to retire.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

...knock on wood... I have a 2001 Saturn, bought it new, now has 70,800 miles on it. Runs like a dream... I have the oil change every 3000 miles..always. Will run it till the wheels drop off!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

'99 Toyota Camry 125K miles. Last car was a Corolla, owned 14 years, 167K miles before the radiator and AC went and could not be reasonably fixed. No major problems with Camry, other than catalytic converter had to be replaced twice.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have a '92 VW Jetta with somewhere around 130k miles (not exactly sure).
    My mother got it used in '93 or '94, and I took it over maybe around 1998-99 when she temporarily moved out of state. At the time, I spent about $1300 at state inspection for a bunch of repairs and maintenance (my mother isn't great with maintenance and I had taken the car to a better mechanic). I've not had to repeat that spending, though, in the entire time I've had the car.

The Jetta is my first car (I lived in Boston for most of the '90s, so I didn't need a car), and since I think of cars as huge pain-in-the-ass moneypits, most likely the car will have to be totaled before I shop for a new one.

I bought a house in the city, so we don't use the car that much. In fact, the car is currently sitting in the backyard because we need to replace the brake lines and check the window switches before we take it in for inspection.

We've been using the time to test out car-free living and making our way around with Zipcar and public transportation. It's going pretty well, so I think if the Jetta dies in a way that we can't easily fix, we may just put off getting another car.

The only reason I hadn't switched over in the first place is that it costs less for me per year to have the Jetta than to do a year's worth of bus passes. But so far, the Jetta is happy and reliable, and most of the work it needs are small minor repairs and general maintenance.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I had a 92 Nissan Sentra, we sold it when it had 190,000 on it and it was 14years old.

I had a 2000 Nissan Sentra that had 170,000 on it and it just died this past January so I got 10 full years out of it. I would have gotten it fixed but there were many complications and frustrations so I just sold it for parts.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Neeley View Post
    DS turns 16 and we are getting him either a Camero, Mustang or Charger. We are all leaning towards the Charger.
    Wow, buying your 16 yr old son a new Charger? Am I really on Frugal Village? haha
    Wish my parents had felt that way. My Dad would've said that's like giving me a bottle of whiskey and a handgun!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Frugal Sooner View Post
    Wow, buying your 16 yr old son a new Charger? Am I really on Frugal Village? haha
    Wish my parents had felt that way. My Dad would've said that's like giving me a bottle of whiskey and a handgun!
    Lol that's what I was thinking, but I'm new here so I thought maybe that was normal.
    My parents have never bought me a car, I worked for each of them, paid for my own gas, own insurance, etc. My kids sure as heck won't be getting a new Charger, lol.

When I was 16 in 2004 I bought a 98 Pontiac Sunfire. I don't remember the mileage, it had been rebuilt. Bought it for $1,400 and drove it until I got married in 2007. No major issues. Sold it to my little brother who drove it for a few years before he sold it. As far as we know it's still going!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Frugal Sooner View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by micah_mae_ View Post
    Lol that's what I was thinking, but I'm new here so I thought maybe that was normal.
    My parents have never bought me a car, I worked for each of them, paid for my own gas, own insurance, etc. My kids sure as heck won't be getting a new Charger, lol.
    Well, since you choose to hijack this thread...Yes, you are on Frugal Village. Yes, there are people here from every background. Some make below the poverty level. Some above and then some make well into the six figures. We are a diverse group of people with different lifestyles, viewpoints and beliefs. We all get along very well and many of us are friends outside of the forums. Typically, we do not judge others here. It would be one thing if I were asking for input on what car to buy my kid. Then it is fair game to give your opinion. But, I was simply responding to a thread about how long you keep your cars/how long they last.

To respond to the comment about giving my kid a Charger is like giving him whiskey and a gun. I am offended. You do not know my family's situation. You know nothing about my son's level of maturity, responsibility or trustworthiness.

I am normally not easily annoyed on this forum. I actually cannot remember in the five or six years I have been a member here when I have actually gotten upset with someone until now.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We have a 1989 Nissan Sentra. It has 378,000+ miles on it. It won't die. Well, it is dying. We still drive it though. DH bought it new when he was young and stupid.

We also have a 1994 Jeep Cherokee. It is DH's car really and I don't know how many miles it has on it. I know it is close to 200,000 though.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

we have a 2004 and 2007 but those are new to us. Our average car last 10 years. 112,000 has been the highest. We usually run into repairs not being worth it after a certain point.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Neely if you let your DDs car sit for a long times at least take it for a run, and start it up once in a while, so that when she comes home she can just get in it and drive.

I bought a 1994 Ford Tempo , 2 door, when we bought it it had 99,000 miles on it, runs great, we put a fuel pump, wheel bearings from all the bad potholes. The car now needs brakes, oil change, new fan motor, it wants to overheat, so my husband hooked up a toogle switch inside of the car to turn on the fan while driving.

my husband does all the work on our vehicle including my DS and DDs vehicles.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast