How long have your cars lasted??? - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Had to let my Toyota go last weekend. It was 15 years old and had 175k miles. It needed 1k in repairs to take care of the major stuff and just wasn't worth it. I felt like I lost an old friend. Now I'm driving DH's truck to work while he uses the company van.

Looking for something for me to drive in the near future. I'm not looking forward to having a car payment.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

My Toyota Supra lasted about 27 years. My current truck, a Nissan Frontier, is 11 years old now.
    DH aka Mad Hen
    (http://mad-hen-creations.blogspot.com/)

Every time you spend money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want. Anna Lappe

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by madhen View Post
    My Toyota Supra lasted about 27 years. My current truck, a Nissan Frontier, is 11 years old now.
    Toyotas are the best! Our Camry has been fully paid for over a year now. I have had 2 others and I put over 200,000 miles on each. Got a Toyota mini van last year that we still owe on.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Registered User monkeywrangler71's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Living in the salt capital of the world, I don't expect our 10 year old mini van to last much longer. Last year, after moving back here, it seemed like a chunk of it rotted and fell off nearly every day during the winter. Around here, a car rusts out way before the engine fails.

We've only been back a year, but I expect to need a replacement any day now.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We just got rid of a 2000 Subaru Legacy with 109,000 miles on it. To repair it was more than the value of the car.

Unfortunately our 2002 Outback Sport also has an potentially terminal issue that we just aren't going to fix. It'll probably run forever, lol. The dealer's service department even recommended not paying the money to fix it and just driving it until it dies! lol That was 12,000 miles ago.

Picked up a 2003 Nissan Frontier with 48k miles on it. I'm hoping I can drive it for many years to come.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We have a 2000 GMC Sierra truck with about 90K miles on it and a 2004 Chevy Tahoe with 70K on it. The truck will last forever, the tahoe is starting to have issues!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have a 2003 Suzsuki XL7 that I bought new. It has 110,000 miles on it but still runs great! My dh keeps up with the repairs. I'm hoping to make it last another few years before trading it in for a newer car. Don't ever want a car payment so I am starting to save money towards newer car now.

My dh has a 2000 Mercedes with 130,000 miles. He bought it over a year ago with cash and maintains that himself as well. We hope to drive that for aloooooong time too!

My ds will be getting his driving license this Summer but I don't plan on buying a car for him right away. We'll see how he does with responsibilty first. When we do buy him a car it will be a beater. I always had beater's until I could afford to purchase my own car when I was gainfully employed!

I can't believe how much new car's cost these days! Will never buy a "new" car again.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Cars last forever if you want them to. My first car was a '67 Ford and had 302,000 miles on the original engine and trans when I sold it. The frame was rotting and I didn't have the skill or tools at the time to repair it.

My current daily driver is an '86 Ford pickup. Body has around 200k miles I'd guess, but it oculd be 300k. I've welded in new metal to repair the rust and it'll get fresh paint in spring. Built a new big block for it and swapped the 3 speed automatic for a newer 5 speed manual overdrive transmission. I'll own this truck until I die and when done I'll have under $10k into it... 1/4 the price of a comparable new truck and it'll be like a brand new '86 but with more power and better MPG.

I also have a '68 Ford with 150k miles on it. In the family since new and was my daily driver for several years. Currently in restoration doing metal work as time allows. Probably get this one done next winter and will have it until I die or have kids and pass it on.

Oldest car I ever had was a '63 Ford which died a premature death in an accident (not caused by me). I really liked that car, and it got over 30 MPG. I had plans to get 40+ MPG out of it, in style.

I could go on with a few others, but I won't. The point is, it's cheaper to get a car you like and keep it. Aside from a bad accident there's nothing that can't be fixed. Cars last forever, compared to how long you'll last before giving up the ghost. Worn out driveline or rusted bodies can be fixed, and for cheap if you take the time to learn it yourself. Always cheaper and you'll save money on every vehicle you own by learning to maintain your own vehicles. A few bucks for some beer and pizza vs a few hundred to pay someone else's labor. If I can learn it, anyone can.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am driving a 1992 Chevy truck that I bought new and it has over 200,000 miles on it with the original engine and a new transmission. Hubby is driving a 1993 Chevy truck that we bought used and it has over 235,000 miles on it with the original engine and tranmission.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We have an '02 Camry with 75k on it. We follow the Owner's Manual for service and hope to have the car for a long, long time.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

1998 Ford Tauras 120,000 and a 2005 toyota scion only 27,000 still like new just needs a bath right now. Put about 1200 into the ford for some computer issues and new struts/boots/2axels, mechanic said it should last a while, engine in great condition. Cheaper than buying a new car.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

right now we only have one car. A 2008 suzuki reno. It is great on gas mileage and we hope to pass it onto dd when she starts driving in a couple of years. The down fall is that we commute to work so we already have 108,000 miles on it. We have only had a couple of repairs so far. Hoping it lasts a while longer!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My car is a 2004 Ford Taurus, we have owned it since 2005.

One major repair ($1000 air conditioner compressor, connected to the engine so HAD to fix it), two batteries, and regular maintenance.

The Saturn we had before that cost us 3000 in 18 months *sigh*
    EmilyD

Change/Piggy Bank Jar Challenge (I use it for my clothes allowance)
    All silver change into piggy for 1 year (Oct 2019) (Will turn in today 1/3)
    Household savings account $200.00 monthly, current bal. $900.00
    My savings: current bal. 10.00
    Pay extra on mortgage/loan/auto $50.00 @ monthly

Projects for 2020:
    # 1 New front porch
    Major declutter house
    Major declutter garage

2020 Stash Management
    2020 Frugal Challenge
    2020 House Purge / Declutter Challenge
    2020 Meal Planning Challenge
    2020 Grocery Budget Challenge $250.00 monthly

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Between my husband and I we have 3 vehicles, but our real workhorse is our 1999 Honda Civic. I bought it new and it has 210,000 kms (about 130,000 miles) on it right now. I can't imagine ever getting rid of it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My car is an '04 VW Passat TDI. Not that old, but it has 283,000 miles and going strong. Lowest total cost of ownership of any vehicle I've ever owned. Plan on driving it another 2-3 years and handing it down to my son. I drive for work and accumulate about 40-50k miles/year. It'll be close to 400k miles when he gets it.

I don't understand how people can get rid of a car because of a $1,200 repair? Certainly $1,200 is cheaper than a new vehicle!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast