continuous brake problem - what would you do?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default continuous brake problem - what would you do?

does anyone know anything about brakes?

I have a 2009 Hyundai Sonata, I bought it used in Feb with 15,000 miles on it. I have brought it back to the dealer 4 times since I've had it for the same problem. I have a burning smell coming from the back pasengerside brake.

The first time they said it was a seized caliper, replaced, fixed whatever - covered under warranty
    the second time they found nothing wrong.
    the third time they said who ever owned the car before me put on cheap brakes and they were cracking and that was the smell - brakes are considered regular wear and tear and not covered under warranty - $530. I know its alot but I figure I want my car in the best shape possible and if this fixed the problem so be it.
    well here we are exactly one month later and I brought it in for the same problem again and now they are saying there is no problem. Brakes are fine, they pulled everything off, lubricated and put everything back together.

My question is....what would you do next? I know the burning smell is either still going to be there or come back within the next two weeks. Do I just live with it, do I bring it to a different Hyundai dealer...I'm at a loss for what my next steps should be.

When I tell them my concerns they literally say nothing other than we checked it and found nothing wrong.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Find another dealer or mechanic.
    Google the problem and see if there are similar ones and if it's fixable.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I very quickly googled it...I need to spend more time reading.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Put exactly this into Google, quote marks included:

"2009 hyundai sonata + burning smell"

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Are you certain it is coming from the rear passenger brake? Do you actually get out there and stick your nose up there?

If so, I would find a different mechanic. I would tell this mechanic everything the previous mechanic said, did, and how ineffectual it has been.

$530 for a brake replacement is incredibly high. Was it a simple replace, or did they do something else?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That is what I was thinking... That seemed like a small fortune for a brake job.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Unless they replaced a bunch of parts, they screwed you royally. If they replaced the pads, it shouldn't have been over $100 for both rear wheels.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Have you spoken with the service manager? I've been through something similar and I made sure that my dealer understood that I was not going to pay another penny AND I expected my problem to be found and fixed. A year later....and the service manager finally got involved and looky here, all of a sudden it no longer has any issues.

I'd be googling the dealer and seeing if there are complaints filed against that location.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Are the rear brakes drums or rotors? If they're rotors, they should be fairly easy to replace pads and rotors yourself - rotors just slightly more involved than pads. Also, if rotors, how long since the caliper pin hardware has been replaced and lubed? The caliper assembly could be hanging a bit on the caliper pins and not fully disengaging - maybe not enough to add noticeable drag to the vehicle, but enough to generate heat.

Again, if caliper pins on a rotor system are the problem, they are almost trivial to replace - don't be stingy with the caliper pin lube either. Don't put so much on it'll leak out onto the rotor, but spend the extra $2 to get a decent size container of the stuff instead of just the one-use foil packs at the front of the parts store. Also, clean out the caliper pin receiving holes before putting the new, well-lubed pins in. I suggest a power drill and appropriately sized brass bore brush (gun store) for this.

If they are drum brakes, best to pony up and find a good mechanic - one that will stand behind there work - unless you're experienced at mechanicals. Disc (rotor / pad) brakes, however, are a great place to start learning mechanical skills.

Do you ever use the emergency brake? If so, are you absolutely, positively sure that it is completely releasing when it is disengaged?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

yes, I know the $530 was EXTREMELY high for the replacement of the back backs. I'd have to look at the invoice to see if they replaced rotors also. As I said, I knew it was high and made the decision at the time that if it fixes the problem, fine so be it. BUT it didn't fix the problem.

No, I don't use the emergency brake, and the car is still under warranty so although I don't have to bring it Hyundai, why should I pay for service while I have the warranty?

And to answer another question, yes I do get on my knees and stick my nose up there and it is a burning brake smell coming from the back passenger side.

yesterday when I picked my car up I asked the guy...what would you do if this was your car. He didn't give me a straight answer but he assured me he would not release the car if it wasn't safe. his name is on it, the mechanic's name is on it and Hyundai's name is on it.

Today there was no smell but I'd bet my hard earned money that in a couple of weeks I'll be smelling it again. If this happens, I think I'll bring it to a different Hyundai dealer or at least speak to someone different before doing anything. Or maybe I won't be so specific about what I think it is, maybe I'll just say something's burning, figure it out and see what they come up with.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

It's extremely frustrating when you have the same problem over and over. I have to disagree - $530 is not OUTRAGEOUSLY high. I'd bet that there was some diagnostic time as they likely had the mechanic drive the car to get the brakes hot and see what happened.

I beleive the Sonata has rotors, and if that is the case, the parking brake shoes are inside the rotors. I think that the shoes might be sticking, which would definitely cause the smell that you are describing.

I completely agree that you need to speak with the service manager. When you do, you need to complain about having to pay for the brakes. If they replaced the calipers because they were sticking, then they could have replaced the pads and rotors as consequentially damaged. Of course, this depends how far apart the repairs were. If it was within a month or so of the calipers, you have a very strong argument. If the service manager does not give you satisfaction in resolving the issue, your next step would be to call Hyundai's Customer Service number. They have amazing results in helping customers and dealers work together.

I work in the industry so PM me if you have any specific questions that you'd like to discuss - I'm happy to help if I can.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by mek42 View Post
    Are the rear brakes drums or rotors? If they're rotors, they should be fairly easy to replace pads and rotors yourself - rotors just slightly more involved than pads. Also, if rotors, how long since the caliper pin hardware has been replaced and lubed? The caliper assembly could be hanging a bit on the caliper pins and not fully disengaging - maybe not enough to add noticeable drag to the vehicle, but enough to generate heat.

Again, if caliper pins on a rotor system are the problem, they are almost trivial to replace - don't be stingy with the caliper pin lube either. Don't put so much on it'll leak out onto the rotor, but spend the extra $2 to get a decent size container of the stuff instead of just the one-use foil packs at the front of the parts store. Also, clean out the caliper pin receiving holes before putting the new, well-lubed pins in. I suggest a power drill and appropriately sized brass bore brush (gun store) for this.

If they are drum brakes, best to pony up and find a good mechanic - one that will stand behind there work - unless you're experienced at mechanicals. Disc (rotor / pad) brakes, however, are a great place to start learning mechanical skills.

Do you ever use the emergency brake? If so, are you absolutely, positively sure that it is completely releasing when it is disengaged?
    My husband agrees with you about everything, he says that the caliper pins should never seized, if everything was done properly, you should not have the problem. they might be waiting for the warantee to run out so that they don't have to pay to fix the problem.

I would do as other says and take the car to another mechanic, if it is under warantee, it should be covered, not always are you required to take it to the dealer that you bought it from.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mh3rdwheel View Post
    they might be waiting for the warantee to run out so that they don't have to pay to fix the problem.
    Dealers don't hesitate to warranty a repair because it doesn't come out of their pocket. They submit the repair to the manufacturer, who pays them within the week. This is a common misconception.

Caliper pins DO stick sometimes - this is an issue of design - not workmanship. I'm not as familiar with Hyundai's engineering but I know that this has been a VERY prevalent problem in Dodge-land lately.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Daisygirl View Post
    Caliper pins DO stick sometimes - this is an issue of design - not workmanship. I'm not as familiar with Hyundai's engineering but I know that this has been a VERY prevalent problem in Dodge-land lately.
    Somewhat off-topic: A guy I went to FPU with always lamented the fact that his poor forlorn Cummins diesel engine was trapped inside a Dodge body.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by mh3rdwheel View Post
    .... they might be waiting for the warantee to run out so that they don't have to pay to fix the problem.
    I have another two years on the warranty so they'll be waiting a while.

And sure enough the smell is back...not as strong as it was but its there. I've been talking to a mechanic where I work so we will see.
    I'm just frustrated more than anything.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast