Car Frustration....I hate buying cars!
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Car Frustration....I hate buying cars!

A little background....

Back in May someone ran a stop sign and ended up totaling my husbands car (that we had JUST had new brakes put on *sigh*). Since he was due to deploy a few weeks later we chose not to buy him a car right then. We instead saved the insurance pay out and a little more to be able to buy him a car when he got home.

So we bought him a car about a month ago, with cash. We paid about $4,000 after tags, registration, taxes, etc. Then put another $600 into it for new brakes, fix an oil leak ,etc.

He just took it to the inspection place to get his NJ safety inspection done.....it failed. Turns out someone had unscrewed the check engine light and it has an emissions code. I am SO angry. I figure either the previous owner did it to get a bigger trade in value or the dealership (a little mom and pop used car place) did it. Either way I am so angry. We have to get it fixed or it is illegal to drive it. And of course we signed an "as is" document at the dealership so we have no recourse (if I am wrong here please feel free to let me know!).

Now on to MY car. We are due with baby number 6 in.....9 weeks! Our mini van only holds 5 in the rear so we had to get something that seats at least 6 in the rear. We went to a different dealership and got a Honda Pilot. They asked $14k we agreed to pay $9.5k, we traded in our van for $5.5K so we owed $4.7K....we bought it on Wednesday and still don't have possession. Growl. I have called and am waiting to hear if we can pick it up today. It needed to have some cat scratches on the hood buffed out as part of our sales agreement and of course they are in no hurry.

I am SO sick of dealing with buying cars, and car salesmen, and mechanics, and just ALL of it.

I don't know what I am looking for here other than someone to tell me it will all by okay

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I hear ya!

I can't recommend Carmax enough. No hassle, no "deals", no pressure. We looked at the listings online and went in with printouts of cars we wanted to see. They guarantee all their cars. And they did the title and registration right there on site the day we picked it up.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

Because we, the people, have the power to build a better future. KH

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Okay here is our current predicament....How to pay for the repairs and our new loan....

I just emptied out and closed our kids college funds because after several years and a lot of research I was very unhappy with the 529 plans. They have never done anything but lose money and I would rather just pay the 10% now for closing them early then keep putting money in to them. Anyways the accts are closed and my plan was to put the money in a mutual fund ear marked for college savings. ($1,600 how pathetic is that that that is all that is left after 5 yrs?)

Also my husband has some back separation pay coming as of the 1st from his deployment ($1,035)

And lastly we are expecting this years installment of my husband's reenlistment bonus sometime around the middle of December. (Around $700 if I remember correctly)

My plan before these new repairs were needed was to:
    *Put the $1,600 from the college funds on to the car loan (and then put the money back in the college mutual fund when we got our TR in Feb)
    *Put the $1,035 from the separation pay towards paying for stockpiling 3mths of dinners in our freezer before the baby comes
    *Put the $700 from the reenlistment pay towards the car loan

Now that his car needs repairs I have to choose where to get the money for it. It can't come from our December budget because this next pay check is already spent on paper and there is no wiggle room (gotta love Christmas!). It can either come from our emergency fund or from the college savings money. I really hate using the college savings money for anything other then the reinvest in their accts though. They however are 8, 6, 2, 2, and 1 so not like they are going to college tomorrow.

I don't know what would you all do?

**ETA the car has to be fixed and pass the inspection within the next 10 days, and according to the paperwork he can get a ticket for driving without an inspection at any time in that 10 days**

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by -mimi- View Post

I don't know what I am looking for here other than someone to tell me it will all by okay
    It will all be okay..............take a deep breath.......exhale slowly.......you are just a little "hormonal" right now ...hang in there!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by frugalfranny View Post
    It will all be okay..............take a deep breath.......exhale slowly.......you are just a little "hormonal" right now ...hang in there!!
    ROFLOL yeah just a bit hormonal I am making chocolate chip cookies so it will all be all better in 8min