My car proved me wrong!
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default My car proved me wrong!

I can't seem to find my old post about my car. Years ago I was worried my car would take a dump and I would still owe money on it. Well, that was over ten years ago and I still drive it. I don't want to get rid of it. Although at some point it will give up the ghost. Getting little pressure from my DH, who wants me to get a different vehicle. I want to pay off one of my credit cards and then get a vehicle. I'll have to see how that goes. He gets pretty insistent sometimes.
    Debt repayment

cc#1 -5,465.31
    cc#2 -5,134.00
    House- 86,970.51/51,037.82
    Student Loans- 35,545.84/13,500.00

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yeah, I still have my car and it's 14 years old now. It's been paid off for 11 years. I've had a few major repairs recently but it's been doing pretty well, all things considered. And the latest repair has actually fixed one ongoing problem I've had for years but the dealership couldn't figure out.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My husband's theory is when it starts giving you problems and you have to spend money it's time to get rid of it....we have a 2017 Kia which is paid for and he heard about a problem with them and he has his mind made up he will get a new one if we have the problem. I leave it up to him....I hate car shopping....absolutely hate it....

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We've bought our last 3 cars after doing online research. IMO, it's easier to narrow down the vehicle while comparing features and reviews from home, than while wandering through car lots with a salesperson at your heels. We've ended up with good cars and very few problems.

I'll be going on 5 years with my current car. My Saturn got wrecked at the end of Feb 2013. I didn't think I would keep the Mazda this long but it's kind of grown on me. Haven't had a single issue that wasn't of my own making.

IMO, if a repair is cheaper than making loan payments, go for the repair.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We ordered our used van from our local dealer, picked the options we wanted, right down to the color. Dealer found it on a car auction in Denver and flew one of his people out to drive it here. We saved huge bucks. Husby found our truck online. There were only 3 in the whole state, and luckily the one we liked most was only 2 hrs away, so we went and fetched it. Got that at rock bottom due to gas prices being $4/gallon and everyone selling off their trucks, resulting in a glut of used trucks no one wanted. Perfect!

Our 2005 van is getting about $1,000 worth of brake work tomorrow. If it lasts us another 3 months, we will be money ahead vs making payments. It only has 85K miles on it, so unless it gets wrecked, it should be good for close to another 100K, well worth the cost of new brakes.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Dh has a 2003 Sonoma that we bought when it was a year old for $8,000. It now has 240,000 miles on it and going strong. We have not put hardly any money into it and it hasn't needed any repair for the past year. Cars are built to last a long time. Normally though we keep our cars for about 14 years.
    I'm too busy working on my own grass to notice if yours is greener.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

CH - your comment about repairs vs. car payments made me chuckle. The cashier at the dealership agreed that the cost of the repair was cheaper than a new car payment. (Although I would've gone with a pre-owned if that were the case.) Then again, the shop manager did say that if the repair included the head gasket (or something like that), it would've been better to just get a new car than try and fix the entire engine. Sounds like the cost would've been about the same as a pre-owned car at that point.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Yes, when the head gasket goes you need a new engine. It's like your car having a heart attack. It can be repaired at great expense, but it is usually not worth it, and usually not the only problem that needs fixed. Most of the time it happens to very old cars, or poorly maintained cars, and the choice is often to get a new(er) vehicle.

Glad you were able to get your car fixed. Hopefully no more issues for a while.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I drove my first car for 27 years. My second car, a truck, bought used, lasted only 20 years. I am on my third vehicle, a Subaru, also bought used, and it is still kicking at 7 years old. It needs an oil leak repair that will get done this year, but is doing great otherwise. One of these days, I will buy a brand new car! I am a bit jealous of all the bells and whistles out there now!
    DH aka Mad Hen
    (http://mad-hen-creations.blogspot.com/)

Every time you spend money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want. Anna Lappe