Better SUV Gas Mileage??? - Page 2

Poll: How much do you spend on gas each week?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Our family vehical is a Chevy Suburban but it now sits in our garage uninsured waiting for my Dh to be employed again. We simply cannot afford gas for it. So what we did was we bought an ancient honda 1982 as a second car (it was $600) and my husbands car is a 1989 honda. These 2 vehicals are very inexpensive to run in comparison to the Chevy. Both cars together cost us about $150/month and the Chevy costs us about $300/month by itself!!!! We have 3 children and often have 1 or two exchange students living with us. If we are going somewhere as a family and we have guests we take both cars.
    We may insure the Chevy for a couple of months in the summer to go camping and use for pulling our trailer for yard work and then the insurance will be removed again.
    So perhaps you can find a smaller super cheap vehical that will fit just you and your children for daily errands (when your Dh isn't around). And use the Yukon only when Dh is going along with all the children? I know it is extra insurance but you may find that you save so much in gas that the extra insurance is paid for many times over! That is what we figured out in our case.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Corrine,

I don't think Gayle was critizing (sp) you. We really didn't have all your info about children etc... until your second post.

On that note, I too drive an SUV. It is a Honda CRV and gets about 32 mpg. Much smaller than your Yukon, but when I purchased it, I was driving 35 miles each way to work every night (11pm - 7am) alone on a pretty deserted highway and I was tired and scared of looking under tractor trailers!

I realize not all of us live in the city and can walk to work or stores, so we do what we have to do.The ladies have given you some excellent advice. I too have to travel pretty far just to grocery shop, so I try and combine trips and make it a day of errands. Also CJ is right, keeping your oil changed according to your manufacturer is wonderful advice along with checking air and fuel filters and tire pressure.

Hope some of this helps you as gas prices just seem to keep going up and up!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I too drive an SUV. I have three children and in the state of Illinois, you are required to have children in car seats until they are eight or 80 lbs. We searched for a car that allowed us to safely store a wagon and a double stroller and the Suburban was the only car that had that much storage capacity. Now the gas is killing me. Now my youngest uses a walker, so we will not be getting rid of it any time soon.

I think everyone here has stated everything possible to do for better gas mileage (even some things that I haven't thought of.) Since I cannot control gas prices, I treat my gas money just like my grocery money. I budget a certain amount every month then I use it accordingly. Needless to say I am now looking for a bike trailer and desperately trying to teach my six year old how to ride a two wheeler.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I drive a VW Jetta diesel and the gas mileage is great. I get 45 mpg highway and probably 35 streets. I drive this basically because I dont feel comfortable in something larger, but I so wish that I had something that I could pack up for camping trips or better yet that I could pull a pop-up trailer with. I love my Jetta and would buy another without reservation or hesitation. It is by far the best investment I have ever made, plus driving it is SO much fun~

I do not understand how society criticizes those that choose to drive big vehicles or when those that were opposed to these kinds of vehicles were vandalizing them. There are so many other important issues to deal with.

Good for you if you can afford it, but if you ever really consider a smaller car, I just heqard this morning that the new Jettas rated VERY high in safety and are under 21,000.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks so much for the many great tips & hints - I really do appreciate them!!!
    Corinne

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Here's a link to some gas saving tips: www.rationalsimplicity.com/gas.html.

Tim

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I drive a VW Jetta diesel and the gas mileage is great. I get 45 mpg highway and probably 35 streets. I drive this basically because I dont feel comfortable in something larger, but I so wish that I had something that I could pack up for camping trips or better yet that I could pull a pop-up trailer with. I love my Jetta and would buy another without reservation or hesitation. It is by far the best investment I have ever made, plus driving it is SO much fun~
    Robin, we have a VW turbo diesel golf and we LOVE it too! It cost us a total of $90 to drive to Colorado and back to Vermont.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I love those Jettas...very cool looking! Bet Robin is styling and profiling in hers
    What color is yours Robin? I'd love a black one

Hey Dee---What model is your Honda? Don't you need to trade it in on a new one? How bout a Pilot? Odyssey?for all your babies..?
    Yes,I'm pushing what dh makes

We've been looking at vehicles and because there's 6 of us,we need something big.I'd LOVE one of the new Surburbans. But will likely get another van. I drive a 99 Montana now and the gas mileage is OK but not great. I know anything bigger will cost more to drive. We even looked at the Yukons...very sharp! Steve said I would do to much damage with something that big
    I'd think I owned the road (sorry Sara U.)

Sorry--All I did was ramble!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12