Gas going up, paycheck staying the same
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Gas going up, paycheck staying the same

What can we do??

We are going to be getting extrememly frugal, pinching places we didnt know we had...

Lets brainstorm together

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've been cutting back to and rethinking every penny spent. I was looking forward to Steve's cost of living raise in Nov...He informed me,they are not getting one

He gets his 12 month raise in Oct..that;ll help. I tell ya,this high gas thing is depressing

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I was going to post a thread like this myself. I have been thinking of this myself, all day. First of all, if it is not a have to, I am not going. We are gonna have to start cutting back everywhere around here.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

dh got his yearly review last week and we should see his increase on the 10th. i got a small promotion and my increase should show up in my check tomorrow. unfortunatly i don't think either of them are going to be enough to keep up with gas prices. our biggest help will be school starting next week. with the kids in school, i won't have to pay for a babysitter. i am also going to start walking to work. i was going to wait another couple of weeks when it should cool down a bit, but i'm going to start walking tomorrow. i'll just have to make sure i have a bottle of water for the walk home.
    i'll be making more things from scratch too like our bread. i haven't made much in a while because i could get it cheap at the bread thrift store, but now it will cost more to buy it if i factor in gas because it's not on the way to anywhere. i used to make a trip once a month out there, but it will be too costly now.
    i think our biggest adjustment will be to take my car almost everywhere instead of dh's van. smaller gas tank to fill and it gets better gas mileage.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We both have commutes. Mine 2-3 days a week 30 miles and Dh's 40 miles 4 days a week. We just wont be going unless it's necessary.
    I'm giving up my expensive diet moderate/low carb diet for a while to cut costs. I know its healthier but its very expensive sometimes.
    I told the kids they would only be allowed hot lunch 1 day a week. As much as I hated to do it.
    Dh works for a a subcontractor that hauls for a big homeimprovement store. I'm getting concerned as he says the stores are seeming slow already. They generally get slower every winter which means less $ in Dh's pocket. Usually thats not 2 bad but with all costs rising yikes! I'm a stylist. When people are stretched cash wise they put the stylist off. So could be a big hurt in my business also.
    Keep brainstormimg folks!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

~drive under the speed limit
    ~if you can go without using your a/c in your vehicle, keep it off. You'll use less gas.
    ~make sure you have the proper air in your tires. makes a huge difference in gas consumption
    ~change your oil when you should, at every 3,000 miles.
    ~if you can, buy gas where you get something back - be it airmile rewards, coupons or as we do Canadian Tire dollars. If we have to pay high prices, go where you can make a few cents back.
    ~don't leave your vehicle idling when you can shut it off. I noticed at our local hydro building office they have a sign. Shut off your vehicle and you'll save on gas consumption.

Were combining trips. To get to the city, its an hour one way. Were walking everywhere in our small town. If you can, ride a bike.

We won't be going out to restaurants at all. We didn't go often, however it was nice to go once in awhile. Not as long as gas prices are up.

I'm stockpiling so that I only have to purchase loss leaders. Groceries are going up already. Our local Co-op was already told to be prepared for more price increases.

Cut back where you can. Thats all you can do. Dh and I were talking about that coming back from the city. Were doing what we can and tightening our belts where its possible. Then were going for the ride because there isn't anything else we can do about it.

Remember, this is also going to affect our heating costs. Start looking now for ways to make your home more energy efficient.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

There was a sad little segment on our local news station last night that was supposed to be offering advice to people on how to get through the coming winter and the expected high heating bills --- their advice? clip coupons, weatherize your home, and use food pantries. I thought they missed a great opportunity on offering some really good advice and educational items and something that people can use LONG TERM in case this does turn out to be the Way of the Future for everyone.

I think it is the long term that scares everyone --- if this is temporary then we can face it and deal with it, but to believe that we are just going to have to learn to live this way from now on is scarey.

Personally, I'm trying to become as self sufficient as possible. And in my case part of that means a big garden and harvesting/storing everything possible. Also, we have been postponing getting some chickens --- they are beginning to look like a good idea more and more.

I think back to the stories I've heard my Depression Era parents tell of how they got by and I'm gleaning out the ideas that may be relevant to today's world. Handmedown or remade clothes; gardens; wild foods (plants and critters); reading by oil lamp light; soap making; eating less meat; use it up and wear it out. Etc.

cmu
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Yup, I was just telling DH last night...started to post about it too.

We have got to find a way to be extra frugal around my house....I am going to be doing some brain storming for the next few days.

I may start a clothes line again (even though my HOA might not approve)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

This is so depressing...We've been watching CNN allday and they just keep on about how bad we are going to have it. For us frugal people,we cut back already as much as we can,I have been brainstorming allday,to think of something else to do to save money.
    ~Our once a week eating out will be history.
    ~I turned the ac up from 73 to 75...gonna turn it up more tonight (temp suppose to be 65)
    ~no unnessary trips ANYWHERE

?? All I can think of right now,I had more,but forgot lol...need to be writing all these down

You know....If gas gets as high as they say...$4/gal here....people will not be buying (new) cars,and my husband may be out of a job.....now thats depressing

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Gas just hit 2.67 in my area. It is a horrible price! I intend to start to look for web sites and cookbooks that feature more crockpot, meatless meals. My DH is very much a meat and potatoe man but he is going to start being served more meatless dishes. I really need to rethink our eating and cooking habits.

I think we all need to look at our standard of living and decide what is really a NEED as opposed to a want or something we just have had for so long that we take for granted. I intend to do the following:
    ~No trips that are not necessary
    ~combine errands when I do have to drive
    ~continue to try and limit energy costs by hanging clothes,
    turning off electirc items not in use, monitoring water usage
    ~stop tossing out items that I might be able to recycle, reuse or
    perhaps sell
    ~Start to try to cook from scratch and become a better cook
    ~ pull out the sewing machine and mend instead of replace

Most importantly to finally learn to be content with the blessings I have and not to think happiness comes in a store shopping or in eating! LOL

Please post ladies, we need all the ideas, help, encouragement and motivation we can get! Lets help each other to not get depressed and to stay committed!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Here gas is $2.79 per gallon. It is supposed to be $3.80/gallon tomorrow. Also, there is a shortage here, so most of the gas stations are out of gas. Don't know what to do? They had all of the companies, and emergency vehicles fill up today.

I put our a/c on 82, and am not using the dryer. Also, TRYING not to use the a/c in the car, but it is really hot here!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Gas is 3.35 here this eve. I luckily topped off my tank at 2.75 this morning in Illinois. We both commute-hubby drives 150 miles a day and I drive 88 miles a day for work .
    We are not using a/c at all...but, it is not too hot anyways. No dryer at all-clothes lining it! We have been cutting costs all around as it is...no cable...it's fuzzy tv for us, looks like we will be getting rid of Netflix-even if it is our only type of entertainment. Board games, and books will be our new entertainment.....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

There is a DVD coming out called "end of suburbia" it talks about just this what we are saying here.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Yes, cutting back on everything seems to be the common thread here. Thankfully, fall is coming so the weather is cooler and we don't need the a/c or heat on.

Gas prices are up 30% here in MI. I was listening to Bill O'Reilly tonight and he recommended trying to use less gas as there could be a temporary gas shortage. So, the big problem seems to be not that the gas prices are high, but the supply is low right now.

Tonight I talked my husband into exchanging cars with me. I drive a small car, with air; he drives a Jeep without air. He's got a longer drive so I told him he should really use my car. I suggested to him to see if he could work a 4 day week vs. a 5 day week. That might be something people with flexible work schedules might be able to do. Although you'd be working longer, you'd avoid having to drive for one day a week.

Check your work to see who lives close, maybe you could meet at a designated location and carpool.

My husband is an Amsoil dealer, synthetic oil. He uses it in his Jeep. He can go 10,000 miles without an oil change, and he claims he's getting better gas mileage. Plus, it's synthetic. That might be something for people to consider.

If it is in your budget, you might want to think about the new hybrid cars. At least you could get a tax credit this year.

Limit road trips to only those that are absolutely essential. I'm not planning a big vacation this year. This was in the works prior to the gas problems, part of my debt reduction plan.

Check your house to see if there is anything at all you can return to the store to get extra cash.

Take a route to work that avoids the expensive coffee shops like Starbucks. That's my new plan.

In the winter, put a featherbed, down comforter on your bed, add extra blankets. Use flannel sheets. Synthetic pajamas like the fuzzy fleece polyester fabrics are really warm, so pack the sexy nighties away!

Eat at home, plan meals ahead to avoid ordering take-out.

Cancel all extra services you don't need. I just signed up for Netflix. I guess I don't need to spend an extra $10 a month, $120 a year for movies.

Calculate how much you spend on monthly services and multiply by 12, that will really make you think, "Do I really need it?"

If you have room, consider renting out a room for extra cash or even consider renting out storage space.

Ebay, there are always people that have money to spend. See what you have to sell, and list it today.

Call your electric/gas company and ask how you can reduce your bill. It is sometimes cheaper to use electricity during off peak times.

Consider fewer cell phones. Does your family really need one for each person?

Call all your credit cards and ask for a lower interest rate. If the first person says no, ask to speak to the supervisor.

Call around to see if you can get a better interest rate on your savings account.

If you have the time, check into doing online surveys. It's not much cash, but it is something.

Don't buy anything unless you absolutely need it and it is deeply discounted. Use coupons to get double savings. Use no brands. Eat less meat. Try to avoid packaged food like potato chips.

I'm going to try to add an extra $100 per month into my Emergency Fund to help with the heating bill.

Clean out your filters on your heater. Don't use the dryer, hang out everything to dry. I don't have a clothesline, but I have a rack in the basement, plus over the door devices to hang up clothes. I have a two clotheslines that I use to hang up sheets.

Give up paper products. Use more rags, and less paper towels. Instead of napkins, use cloth napkins.

Ask for gift cards for Christmas to grocery stores, Target, Walmart, etc. . . That way you can always use the gift towards groceries. Buy people practical gifts they need.

If your employer offers a flexible spending account, consider increasing the amount you contribute to it. That is a 30% savings right there since the money isn't taxed.

Declutter, simplify your life. Get rid of things, and make money while you do it.

Get your financial papers in order. Write down all your bills, then call the companies to see about lowering your monthly expenses.

Consider increasing your insurance deductible. That should save you on insurance.

Exercise, take vitamins, herbs, and eat more natural foods so you don't get sick this winter. Stock up your medical cabinet now while things are on sale. I have things like Cold Ease, Oscilli. . . a homeopathic remedy for the flu, I take vit. C daily, and etc. . .

Check out other sites like:

dollarstretcher.com, betterbudgeting.com, about.com, msn money for more ideas

An inspiring site is lainesletters.com for more tips on frugal living.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

here's what we're doing:

-no eating out
    -only driving to the grocery store and to thrift stores on Sat
    -selling a vehicle to pay of debt & lower insurance
    -making all our bread
    -cutting back to $30 a week on groceries (this will be tough)
    -having a yard sale

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast