Car trouble...

Thread: Car trouble...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Car trouble...

Ugh, I hate cars. Ours is doing bad things. Lately, its been stalling. The power will decrease, the dash lights fade, the rpm gauge flits back and forth. Sometimes it goes back to normal, sometimes it stalls then starts up again. We're holding our breath for the time it doesnt start again. Plus our one tire has a huge leak in it. Its terrible. We're saving for a new one but has anyone had this problem before and could possibly tell me how it can be fixed??? I know its a long shot but I was just wondering.

Thanks

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

have you had your alternator checked?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Can you take your tire to be repaired? That costs much less than a new one. I had a leak, took it to be fixed, and that didn't work so I saved up for a whole new set of tires. Once that thousand bucks was burning a hole in my pocket, I had someone else look at the tire and it turned out it hadn't been plugged at all. He fixed the tire, and I slapped that $1000 down on my credit card.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default CAR

I had that same problem in a grand marquis a hundred years ago that I had---it was the alternator..........know anyone handy, I don't recall it being a very expensive part...????

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I am definitely NOT a car expert (I wouldn't even call myself knowledgeable), but I did have to have my alternator replaced about a year ago and recall those being some of the "symptoms". My car is still under warranty, so I took it to the dealer to be fixed ($500ish IIRC), but you can probably find somewhere cheaper, depending on the car. I will ask my DBF when he gets home from work - I am sure he will have a better idea. He is very good w/ cars (his dad has been an auto mechanic for 30-some years).

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yep - sounds like the alternator.

Go to a reputable car parts dealer like Murrays, or Autozone or what ever is in your neck or the woods. Go talk to the people in the parts dept. You'll be amazed at what they can help you with.

Also ask them about this stuff called "Fix a Flat".

I swear I've kept cars together with duct tape, done some things, like used nutmeg to plug a leaky radiator, that would give a mechanic nightmares. But hey, for a woman who know little more than "turn up the radio" when you hear a strange noise in the car, I've managed.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

make sure you get your battery checked also. if it is the alt, your battery will drain pretty quickly.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default TRUE

Quote Originally Posted by halloweenfreak View Post
    make sure you get your battery checked also. if it is the alt, your battery will drain pretty quickly.
    true, very true, good point..........

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

So we're still not sure what it is. DH said it wasnt the alternator because of how long its been acting up, the battery would be dead or something. But we did clean the leads to the battery and we did push some fuses in that were lose and so far, the problem hasn't happened yet. We're going to check the sparkplug wires next but it was too cold to keep standing outside to do it yesterday...lets hope thats all that needs to be done with it!! Thanks for all you're advice though!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default car issues

that was going to be my next suggestions, points and plugs.....good luck!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Plugs won't cause the lights on the dash to fade. They only power the car to go.

It is definitely an electrical problem with those symptoms. Despite the fact it has been going on for a while, you should still have your alternator load-tested. That should only be about a half hour of labor. Have them check the battery's ability to hold a charge if it is the alternator. If the alternator checks out ok it could be the crank sensor or a computer.

As for the tire, if the hole is not in the sidewall, it can be plugged for about $20. If it is in the sidewall, then it must be replaced. Go to a garage that also sells tires to have the alternator checked and then see if they have any used tires kicking around that will fit your rims, if they do that will be less than half the price of a new tire, and the tread will be closer to the wear on the other three tires.

I work at a garage for a living - thus the info.