do you go to the dealer for car repairs?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Cool do you go to the dealer for car repairs?

I was wondering what everyone does when they need car maintenece or repairs. I called and got quotes on tires, brakes, routine stuff for mine and I ended up dropping it off at the dealership this morning because they are quite a bit cheaper here. There was a $40 difference in price of tires between the dealer and firestone and the tires were the same! I asked the dealer why they are so much cheaper and they told me that they do an across the board $12 mark up on the tires instead of a percentage. Not sure if all dealers are cheaper and I imagine I am paying a bit more for some things but the overall cost was way less.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We only take our cars to the dealer for warranty or recall work. Everything else we have a regular place we take them. We trust them and they always do a good job. The dealer, not so much.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Actually there are lots of things that DH can do on our cars that we don't take it in for. Other than that DH has certain folks he lets do certain things. Some things do get done at the dealership.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am blessed with a dh who was a car mechanic for many years , so he does our repairs..If it is something he can't do we go to the dealership or for tires, Walmart In fact he is working on the van as I speak!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

My step-dad is a mechanic at a dealership, so he fixes my car up for the cost he can get the parts at and doesn't charge for labor. I make him a treat like brownies or cookies as a thank you. Otherwise I would have to pay a lot for work as I know no one else who can work on cars and make them work again.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I also am lucky to have a DH who is very skilled under the hood - he's even taught me how to do a few basic things. For what he's uncomfortable tackling, we use a local mechanic who specializes in foreign cars (both of ours are) - he's cheap, honest, and does good work. It's been my own experience that dealers are more expensive, but hey - go for the deal!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I really thought the dealer would be more but I just got off the phoen and they are under our budget on the repairs after adding a transmission flush. I budgeted $1200 for everything. Tires, brakes(front and rear), alignment, oil change, and transmission flush! I may have enough left over to have the car professionally detailed!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I work at a dealer and while we are a bit more expensive than the neighborhood mechanic there are several bonuses:

1.) Factory trained technicians are going to be familiar with all the quirks of a particular make, and therefore able to diagnose your problem quicker, cosint you less money.
    2.) Parts and labor are backed up by a manufacturer's warranty so if the part goes bad 6 months down the road the re-repair will be free.
    3.) Computer systems that are able to communicate with your car. We often get people who have gone in to their regular mechanic for a "Check Engine" light, where they have spent hundreds of dollars chasing a problem we can find immediately.
    4.) Record-keeping. If you are under warranty and you have a problem with the transmission the manufacturer will ask when you got your tranny serviced. If all the work has been done at the dealer, they have the info at hand, reducing the need for you to keep such meticualous records.

of course I am biased but I will always use dealers for repairs, even if I no longer work there.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The way they build cars now, even changing the oil can be a big pain. Hubby figures his time is worth something too, no fun to struggle, freeze your fingers off (and swear your brains out) with hard to get at parts or nuts that won't come off when they have the tools & the know how to get it done easier. He'll do basics but if the car is under warranty it goes to dealer, otherwise it goes to our local garage.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I use the dealer for everything, even oil changes. I jut dont trust any of the mechanics around here, and am willing to pay more for my peace of mind.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We take everything to the dealer. DH says he's too old to be crawling around under cars and hoods (he's 55). Truth be told, he's just not interested in doing it.

Jean

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am so glad I haven't paid for a car repair in 8 years. Hubby is a certified master mechanic and he does all our repairs. I do buy tires (rubber only) at another location and have hubby install. I have had too many problems with the tire places installing wrong and the tires leak air and aren't balanced correctly. Sure does save lots of money!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

DH is the Parts Manager at a car dealership, so he gets our parts at cost and has one of the techs do the labor for a little money on the side.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default local garage here...

We have a wonderful local garage that we take our vehicles to. If they can't fix it, then they admit that and then we go to the dealer. And it cracks me up that the receptionist calls me hon!

I had a bad experience once at a dealer, so I try to give my business to the "mom and pop" shop first.

I think you should go wherever you feel most comfortable!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I go to a small local mechanic we trust. He's worked on cars for my family for years, long before I started driving. I even go there for oil changes (it's about $27, a little more than the quick change places but less than the $40 at the dealership). DH takes his car to the dealership for maintainance and oil changes. Funny, since we bought both our cars at the same dealership, from the same guy, same make/model/year, just 8 months apart.

One thing I have learned from my car accident is that my mechanic doesn't do body work. But as it's under insurance, I know exactly what my cost will be.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast