My cars are killing me!
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default My cars are killing me!

Last month, I had to pay $1200 to have my husbands car fixed. It was a big job and he couldn't do it.
    This month, my transmission went. It is a 1991 Ford Windstar. I had taken over a lease in 92 and bought it when the lease was up. At that time, I took out an extended warranty which is good till 7/08 or 76000 miles (I have 72,000). I was told the other day that the warranty company would not cover it unless I could produce receipts that I had the transmission serviced at 30,000 miles and 60,000 miles. First off, I don't remember if I had this done. I get my oil changes etc done at the local service station who isn't computerized. Secondly, even if I had it done, who keeps car records for years? I wouldn't even know where to look. A new transmission is anywhere from $2600-$3600 (I was looking online). so... Thirdly, how do I pay for this?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I would fight the warranty company on this - it's how they make money with loop holes. See if you can find your paper work or have them mail you a copy of the contract and see if it's on there plainly. If this does not work - perhaps you might have to buy something cheap until things improve - well at least cheaper than $3700. Best Wishes!
    Dianne

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

What if your husband or someone is the one that services the transmission.My daughter's BF does all that to my car and I don't keep a record I just remember that it was done.They want a record from a service station or some such place just to keep from fixing your van.My DD just sold her 93 Windstar that had over 150,000 miles on it and was running good.72,000 is low miles for a transmission to go out anyway.If you can't get them to fix it you can get a used one at a salvage yard.DD's BF gets parts at them all the time alot are guaranteed to work or they give the money back or another one.He's a mechanic and ppl that he fixes cars for like it that he can get parts at salvage yard lots cheaper.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Also forgot there are places around here that will put in a rebuilt transmission for around $500.You just trade your old one to them you need to check on that in your area.But first fight the warranty company on fixing it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Depotlady64 View Post
    Secondly, even if I had it done, who keeps car records for years?
    I won`t buy cars without records. My 270k Volvo has a huge file of service records spanning now 4 owners from at least 3 states. Every time I do something to the car, it is added to the file, whether buying oil at Auto Zone or having a mechanic fix something on it. Today, it looks like I will be adding an alternator purchase to the record as it just crapped out on me on the highway. Gotta love older cars.

I don`t think it was unreasonable for them to ask that you service your transmission for the warranty to be valid. The number one reason those things die is because people don`t take care of them. They will religiously change the engine oil, but run the transmission oil into the ground. My transmission is the original at 270k and still going strong. The only reason it hasn`t died that I can think of is regular service. It cost $190 to have the transmission oil changed in my car, so I know it isn`t cheap, but still cheaper than another transmission atm.

For a car that old, I would buy a junkyard transmission. Your car is not worth doing more to. Either that or look on Craigslist for another vehicle for the price you are seeing for a brand new transmission. Don`t buy from anyone with no service records.

Cars are lame. My brother has a much newer car than mine he is making payments on, but just replaced a head gasket for the tune of $1k and now needs to replace bearings, also $$$. Money pits, no matter what you do.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't have any words of wisdom on how to get it fixed but did want to give you a heads up that transmissions and head gaskets for that model and year are notorious for failing.

My SIL replaced the tranny in her windstart 3 times and head gastket once before she finally listened to her hubby and my dh and got rid of it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Depotlady64 View Post
    First off, I don't remember if I had this done. I get my oil changes etc done at the local service station who isn't computerized. Secondly, even if I had it done, who keeps car records for years?
    I do 99% of my own work on my vehicles, and I keep all receipts for all work. We've got a 4-drawer file cabinet. My wife and I each have our own drawer, plus a "joint" drawer. Each vehicle has it's own folder. Whenever I buy something for the car (oil, starter, wipers, tires etc.), I just throw the receipt into the folder. You could go one step further, and just buy a small little notebook, and annotate the date & mileage any time you change the oil, or do any maintenance on it. Even though it may not be serviced by a "professional garage", you will have valid proof with receipts that you have been maintaining the vehicle all along. Having these records will help greatly with resale as well, gives the buyer a warm fuzzy.

I wouldn't even know where to look. A new transmission is anywhere from $2600-$3600 (I was looking online). so... Thirdly, how do I pay for this?[/QUOTE]That is WAAAAAAAAAAAY too much money for an auto trans rebuild. If you have someone that can remove/replace the trans for you and drop it off at the shop, you can save $300-$500 right there. A rebuild shouldn't cost much more than ~$1500ish, although it all varies by location and transmission. Definitely call around.