Refrigerator Potato Bread dough
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Refrigerator Potato Bread dough

This is such a time and money saver since you can just make a batch on Sunday afternoon and enjoy fresh bread all week. The great thing about this recipe is you can make as much or as little bread as you want. You don't have to make a dozen rolls at a time-you can just make and bake 4 or 5 if that is all you need, or you can make 2 dozen.

Potato Refrigerator Dough (Makes 4 dozen rolls, 3 medium loaves or 3 braids )

Ingredients:
    2 packages (5 tsp.) active dry or fast-acting yeast*
    1 1/2 cup warm (105-115° F.) water
    1 cup lukewarm (95-105° F.) mashed potatoes**
    2/3 cup granulated sugar
    2/3 cup margarine, butter or vegetable oil
    2 large eggs
    1 1/2 tsp. Salt
    7 to 7 1/2 cups all purpose or bread flour (may be part whole-wheat flour), divided

*If using active dry yeast, dissolve in 1/2 cup of the warm water until it foams. If using fast-rising yeast, use warmer water - 120-130° F. and simply stir the yeast and water into the other ingredients plus half the flour (see steps 1 and 2).

**May be made from 1 1/3 cups boiling water and 1 cup instant potatoes. Cool to 105° F. before adding to the yeast mixture.

Method:

1. Combine the dissolved yeast and remaining 1 cup water or the fast-rising yeast with all the water and remaining ingredients except the flour.
    2. Mix in 3 1/2 cups of the flour with an electric mixer or beating by hand. Beat for 3 minutes.
    3. Mix in additional flour with dough hooks or by hand until the dough forms a rough dough ball.
    4. Turn onto a floured counter and knead by hand or with the mixer's dough hooks until smooth and elastic - about 5 to 8 minutes.
    5. Place in a greased or sprayed bowl, turning dough so greased side is up. Cover bowl with sealing lid or plastic wrap. (you may want to spray it so it doesn't stick)
    6. Place in the refrigerator. Punch down when doubled (about 30 minutes for fast-acting, 45 minutes to an hour for active dry yeast).
    7. Keep dough refrigerated for up to 4 days, punching down if doubled in size.
    8. About two hours before baking, shape dough into desired rolls, loaves or braids.
    9. Place in greased pans and cover with sprayed or greased plastic wrap. Let rise until doubled, about 1 ½ hours.
    10. Bake at 375° F. according to directions for type of roll or loaf prepared.

Rolls: Divide dough into 4 pieces. Divide and shape each piece into a dozen rolls. Cover shaped rolls with greased plastic wrap and let double in size. Bake at 375 degrees F. for 12 to 15 minutes, until golden. (My own modification is to sometimes add garlic and shredded cheese, tastes very much like the garlic cheese rolls at Red Lobster)

Loaves: Shape into three medium loaves and place in greased 8 1/2-inch loaf pans. Cover with a greased plastic wrap and let rise until above the edge of the pan. Bake at 350 degrees F., 25 to 35 minutes.

Braid: Divide dough into three pieces. Divide each of these again into three pieces and roll pieces into three smooth ropes of dough, about 15 inches long. Braid each set of three dough ropes, pinching the ends and tucking them under. Place on a greased baking sheet, cover and let double in size. Bake at 350 degrees F. for 25 minutes or until golden. Optional egg wash - Beat 1 large egg + 1 tablespoon cold water. Brush on just before baking.

Pecan Caramel Roll: Shape 1/4 of the dough into 12 smoothly rounded dough pieces. Prepare Glaze and spread in the bottom of a greased 8-inch round or square pan or bottoms of 12 medium muffin cups. (My kids don't like nuts so I left them out)

Caramel roll glaze:2 tablespoons butter or margarine1/2 cup brown sugar1/4 cup honey1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
    - Place in microwaveable bowl. Bring just to a boil.- Pour into greased, 8-inch baking pan or 12 medium muffin tins.- Cool before topping with yeast dough.
    Cover the dough pieces with greased plastic wrap. Let double in size and bake at 375° F. until golden, about 12 to 15 minutes. Immediately turn onto a plate and cool.

Pizza crust: (This is my own modification so I don't really have precise measurements or times but it came out great, just play with it)
    -Take as much dough as you need, it varies depending on the size of your pan and how thick you like your crust but is easily adjusted. You don't need to let this rise after taking from the fridge and if you want you can add italian spices, garlic, or parmesean to the dough before rolling.
    -Roll out to fit your pan, top with your favorite toppings and bake at 350 for about 12-15 minutes
    -I usually make two extra crusts on aluminum pizza pans, fully baked. After cooling I top with favorite toppings and freeze, voila, homemade frozen pizza for those rushed nights

Breadsticks:
    I also modified this myself from the roll recipe, I just roll the dough between my hands to form breadsticks instead of rolls.

Nutritional Analysis:For 1 of 48 rolls or slices of bread (each is 1.5 oz.)
    Calories: 124 Protein: 3 g Carbohydrates: 21 gDietary Fiber: 1 g Total fat: 3 gCholesterol: 8 mgSodium: 94 mg Potassium: 60 mg
    % Calories from:Carbohydrate: 69% Fat: 22%
    Protein: 9%

ETA: The potato is important as this is what makes the dough last for so long in the fridge, so don't skip this ingredient!
    Last edited by elphie; 10-11-2008 at 11:20 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Man on man can I vouch for this recipe. It makes the best cinnamon rolls ever!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I need to try this. We love lots of soups and stew this time of year and fresh rolls are so good on the side.