Anyone have an overnight rise
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Anyone have an overnight rise

bread recipe? I had some of these in highschool, 30 years ago, a white one and and whole wheat one.

Basically, you made up the dough and the first rise happened in the refrigerator overnight.

I want to expand my bread horizon a bit and rarely have the time (or patience) to spend 4 hours cooking anything, bread included! So, I was thinking about this and it occurred to me that someone here might use such a recipe?

I haven't looked at the artisan bread in 5 mins book that Grainlady mentions in another thread, although I will.

So, does anyone use a recipe like this? Does it work or do you prefer other types of bread???

TIA --

Judi

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Oh judi, the title just sounded kind of dirty! LOL!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Judi,
    That idea sounded interesting!

I had a link for you, but it won't post properly.
    Sorry!
    Last edited by Surilda; 11-25-2009 at 09:27 PM. Reason: link

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You can use a refrigerator dough like Betty Crocker's famous Potato Refrigerator Dough - http://www.astray.com/recipes/?show=...erator%20dough.

Double the recipe and bake when you have the time over a 5-day period, and fill your freezer.

I have the recipe in Betty Crocker's Baking Classics cookbook with instructions for making these items.

-Braided Dinner Rolls (1/3 of the recipe = 6 rolls)
    -Parker House Rolls
    -Crescent Rolls
    -Hamburger Buns (although it doesn't show them, you can also make hamburger buns with this recipe)
    -Even though it's technically not a sweet dough, you could also use it for making cinnamon rolls or sticky pecan rolls.
    -If you use it for loaves of bread, you may want to make more than one recipe at a time. One recipe is enough to make approx. 3-1/2-pounds of dough. Weigh the dough on a kitchen scale in order to place the appropriate amount of dough in the correct size loaf pan.

*2-pounds dough - 9x5-inch loaf pan (Quick Bread Loaf Pan)
    *1-1/2-pounds dough - 8-1/2 x 4-1/2" (Standard Loaf Pan)
    *1-pound dough - 7-1/2 x 3-1/2" (Small Loaf Pan)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Hmm...

Quote Originally Posted by ml2620 View Post
    Oh judi, the title just sounded kind of dirty! LOL!
    Seems to be my job here lately...ask questions about bread stuff and wind up being provocative???

Judi

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I just buy frozen bread dough and put it in the pan overnight. i bake it in the morning. You can also heat the oven to 300 degrees and turn it off then quick rise your dough in less than an hour. All day bread making is for suckers!! lol. I also do this then punch it down and spread it on a cookie sheet,butter and garlic. the absolute best garlic breadsticks. EASY.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by frugalwarrior2 View Post
    I just buy frozen bread dough and put it in the pan overnight. i bake it in the morning. You can also heat the oven to 300 degrees and turn it off then quick rise your dough in less than an hour. All day bread making is for suckers!! lol. I also do this then punch it down and spread it on a cookie sheet,butter and garlic. the absolute best garlic breadsticks. EASY.
    You REALLY don't think "all-day bread making is for suckers" (LOL) do you? (Although I can make a loaf of bread from scratch in 1-hour, which isn't much longer than using frozen bread dough.)

Just because making bread from scratch is an option you would rather not be bothered with doesn't mean those of us who make bread from scratch are a "sucker". Homemade OR commercial frozen are just choices - neither is right or wrong.

Personally, I thoroughly enjoy the process of making bread, starting with milling the grains/seeds/beans I use in my recipes so I can increase the nutrition and fiber, but also the science of the process from seed to loaf. I also enjoy developing bread recipes and making a large number of types of breads not possible using frozen bread dough. I take the time to make all our baked goods and breads from scratch for my pleasure and our health.

You may be interested to know, I've had several people try to fake-it-and-NOT-make-it by using frozen dough for their entries at the fair where I was a Foods Judge, and I can spot it every time.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I've tried all the ways to make bread and this is the one I've found to be less times consuming, doesn't require me to be home, no kneading, and you can add other ingredients to create your own breads. Friends offer to buy it from me.
    http://homecooking.about.com/od/brea.../blbread14.htm
    ps I never knead it ..... just stir the ingredients together, easy to do, my 11 yr old granddaughter made perfect bread on her first try!