100% Whole Wheat Sandwich Bread
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default 100% Whole Wheat Sandwich Bread

I'm looking for a recipe for Whole Wheat bread that will be soft enough for my kids' PB&J sandwiches. I'd prefer it to be 100% whole wheat, but would add some white flour if necessary to get the texture I'm looking for.

Does anyone have a recipe they'd care to share? I don't have a bread maker, so over directions are appreciated. Thanks!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have several recipes for it...haven't tried most of them and I'm don't have a clue where I got them, but I'll post them for you anyway...hope they turn out well.

100% Whole Wheat Bread

1 2/3 cups very warm water
    2 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
    1 tablespoon instant yeast
    1/4 cup vegetable oil
    1/4 cup honey
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/3 cup instant potato flakes
    1 teaspoon lemon juice
    1 1/3 - 2 cups additional whole wheat flour

Combine first 3 ingredients, then slowly add oil, honey, salt, potato flakes, and lemon juice, mixing as you go.
    Add remaining flour a little at a time until the texture is right.
    Knead about 10 minutes (I use my KitchenAid).
    Shape into two loaves and place in two greased 8" loaf pans.
    Let rise until double, about 30 minutes.
    (I put them on top of the stove and preheated the oven at the same time.)
    Bake at 350 degrees F for about 30 minutes.
    Cool on rack.
    For a softer crust, cover the loaves with a towel as they cool.
    -----------------------------------------------
    100% Whole Grain Wheat Bread

100% Whole Grain Wheat Bread

Ingredients (use vegan versions):

2 3/4 cups of hot water
    1/3 cup of oil, olive is fine
    1/4 cup of raw sugar
    2 tablespoons molasses
    1 tablespoon salt, sea salt is good
    7 1/2 cups (max) of 100% whole grain wheat flour
    2 tablespoons of dry active yeast

Directions:

1. Place the first five ingredients in the bowl and mix.

2. Add: 2 Cups 100% whole grain wheat flour. Mix, then add 2 tablespoons of dry active yeast. If your not sure about your yeast proof it in a little warm water first.

3. Add: 4 cups of 100% whole grain wheat flour.

4. Mix until the consistency is some what even. Then continue to slowly add flour 1/2 cup at a time until the dough quits sticking to the sides of the bowl. It should be tacky to the touch. The trick is to have enough consistency to stand up with the least amount of flour so the bread will be fluffy. In any case do not exceed 7 1/2 cups of wheat flour. You can trade one cup of wheat flour for one cup of all purpose white if you wish. Don't over mix or the bread will be tough.

5. When your dough is finished, Cover the bowl and let it rise for about 30-45 minutes. The dough will be larger but it doesn't need to double when using a heavy mixer.

6. Grease two bread pans with Crisco. You can also flour the pans to reduce sticking.

7. Mix again just enough to knock it down at least close to the original size.

8. Drop the dough on a floured surface so you can work the dough and shape it. Roll it in the flour and shape it in your hands to make a nice ball getting enough flour on it so it isn't sticky.

Divide the ball in half and do it again.

Shape the loaves by turning the dough under it's self over and over. When the dough is shaped right the sides and ends will be sealed and all you will see is a nice oblong shaped loaf with smooth sides and top.

Drop the loaves in your bread pans and let them rise until almost doubled. Bake in a preheated oven at 350 for 36 minutes. If you forgot to preheat 41 minutes. (gas oven)

9. When done turn the bread out of the pan to a rack to cool. You can eat it right away. Don't wrap it until completely cooled. (Condensation will make it soggy) Put in tinfoil to store on the counter. If you put it in the refrigerator it will turn into a brick. Enjoy.

Notes: If you like fluffy brown bread this it. No white flour here. You can use any 100% whole grain wheat flour. I mill my own. This bread is not heavy like most 100% whole wheat breads. If it is you used too much flour and your dough was too stiff. If it flattens out and won't stand up you need more flour. The total amount of flour is usually about 7 cups. This recipe has been in my family for years and we all make it. We make a lot more now that we have powerful mixers and the hand kneeding is bye bye.

Serves: 12

Preparation time: 3 hours

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

This one I have tried, and we really liked it.

3 RISE WHOLE WHEAT BREAD

3 Tablespoons yeast
    4 cups warm water
    4 cups whole wheat flour
    Mix these ingredients together and let sit until double.
    ( Usually 15-30 minutes. )
    This step is called a sponge, and is very important to allow the yeast to get a head start.

Add...
    1/2 cup butter or vegetable oil
    2/3 cup honey or molasses
    3 teaspoons salt
    6-8 cup whole wheat flour

Mix this together, and knead for 15 -20 minutes if kneading by hand.
    Place in oiled bowl, cover and let rise again until double (about 30 minutes).
    Punch down and shape in pans.
    Cover, and let rise again until double (20-30 minutes).
    Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
    Oil top of bread for a nice shiney crust.

*Can add any left over cooked cereal, the bread even gets better! About a cup to the recipe.
    ---------------------------------------
    Haven't tried this one either...

Whole Wheat Bread
    makes 2 loaves

2 cups warm water
    1/3 cup honey or sugar
    1 T yeast
    1/3 cut olive oil
    2 t. salt
    1/3 cup gluten flour
    5 to 7 cups freshly ground whole wheat flour or store bought

In a large bowl or in a large mixer (such as a Kitchen Aid or Bosch type) combine the water, yeast and honey. Let sit for a few minutes to give the yeast a chance to start working. Add the salt, oil, gluten flour and 3 to 4 cups of whole wheat flour. Continue to add more flour until the dough does not stick to the side of the bowl and does not feel sticky to the touch. Knead for 4 minutes in a Bosch mixer or 7 to 10 in other mixers or 10 to 15 minutes by hand.

When dough has finished kneading let it rise once until doubled in bulk (unless you are using a Bosch type mixer and in this case you can skip the 1st rising). Punch down dough and divide it into 2 pieces and form into loaves and set in bread pans.

Let it rise in a slightly warm oven (this means that you turn the oven on for just 2 or 3 min. or until you can feel the heat and then turn it off, if it is too hot then it will kill the yeast) for 15 to 25 minutes or until the dough is ½ inch above top of pan. Turn oven to 350 (without taking bread out) and bake for approx. 30 minutes or until golden brown.