Hamburger/Sandwich Buns (bread machine)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Hamburger/Sandwich Buns (bread machine)

This recipe makes soft sandwich buns. I've been using it for several years now and it's the only bun recipe I use. I originally got the recipe here on FV and have tweaked it a little over the years.

Hamburger/Sandwich Buns

1 1/4 c. milk
    1 egg, beaten
    3 3/4 c. bread flour*
    1/4 c. sugar
    3/4 t. salt
    2 T. margarine
    1 1/4 t. yeast

Add ingredients. Set bread machine to dough cycle and select 2 pound setting. When dough cycle is complete, punch down dough on floured surface. Divide into 24 and shape into balls. Cover with clean dish towel and let rise 1 hour on greased cookie sheet in warm place, till doubled. Bake 10-15 minutes till browned top and bottom. Remove from pan and cool on wire rack.

*A mix of 2 c. whole wheat or white whole wheat flour may be subbed for an equal amount of bread flour. If dough it too dry, add water a teaspoon at a time and allow it to mix in before adding more as needed.

My tweaks: I never add salt. Bread does not need it and neither to I. I don't beat the egg, I crack it into the bread case and break the yolk on the paddle, then just swirl around the paddle till it's uniform. I've used runny yogurt, whey, or powdered milk instead of regular milk and it works just fine. I don't put the dough ball out on the counter on flour, but just pinch off blobs of dough after punching down in the bread case, so less mess to clean up. I put a large bowl of hot water in the microwave and then set the cookie sheet with the formed buns on top the bowl, then cover and let rise with micro door shut. That creates a nice environment for the dough to rise.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Thanks so much!! sounds delish!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Looks yummy SD. Would you believe I just thought of rising dough in the microwave after it was warmed up today? Great minds......!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Registered User alaska_tiger_36's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sound great. I can't wait to try it! Thanks!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Thanks..nice tip on using the microwave!

What I do is turn the oven on for a few minutes then shut it off place my bread dough in their rightful baking dish or whatever dough in the oven covered with a hand towel and let it rise that way..another thing Ive done quite a bit is heat up my rice packs and put them under the baking pans then cover them with a towel that works really well.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks! I have been wanting to make my own buns. I have been making my own bread for several years. Since I have arthritis, carpal tunnel, and tendonitis in my hands I can only use my bread machine to make bread products.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I also sometimes use honey in place of the sugar. Honey is a tenderizer and makes the buns even softer.

TDN
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Deer View Post
    This recipe makes soft sandwich buns. I've been using it for several years now and it's the only bun recipe I use. I originally got the recipe here on FV and have tweaked it a little over the years.

Hamburger/Sandwich Buns

1 1/4 c. milk
    1 egg, beaten
    3 3/4 c. bread flour*
    1/4 c. sugar
    3/4 t. salt
    2 T. margarine
    1 1/4 t. yeast

Add ingredients. Set bread machine to dough cycle and select 2 pound setting. When dough cycle is complete, punch down dough on floured surface. Divide into 24 and shape into balls. Cover with clean dish towel and let rise 1 hour on greased cookie sheet in warm place, till doubled. Bake 10-15 minutes till browned top and bottom. Remove from pan and cool on wire rack.

*A mix of 2 c. whole wheat or white whole wheat flour may be subbed for an equal amount of bread flour. If dough it too dry, add water a teaspoon at a time and allow it to mix in before adding more as needed.

My tweaks: I never add salt. Bread does not need it and neither to I. I don't beat the egg, I crack it into the bread case and break the yolk on the paddle, then just swirl around the paddle till it's uniform. I've used runny yogurt, whey, or powdered milk instead of regular milk and it works just fine. I don't put the dough ball out on the counter on flour, but just pinch off blobs of dough after punching down in the bread case, so less mess to clean up. I put a large bowl of hot water in the microwave and then set the cookie sheet with the formed buns on top the bowl, then cover and let rise with micro door shut. That creates a nice environment for the dough to rise.
    Spirit Deer....what temp do you bake these on? I am going to try today.....I guess I will try 375 if I don't find out in time.......thanks!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It's 350 or 375. It doesn't make much difference.

TDN
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thank you.....rising in bread machine now!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'll be surprised if you don't like them.

I also let them cool on a rack just to the point where they won't melt the plastic bag, maybe five minutes or so, and then put them right in the bag and close it up. That steams them and helps them stay soft. I freeze them as soon as they cool completely. That makes them less of a temptation for me, the bread addict, and also keeps them from getting moldy since they don't have preservatives like store-bought buns. If you don't want to freeze them, store them in the fridge.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Here's another good recipe for sandwich buns (bread machine) if you're interested.
    It's actually a roll recipe, but make great buns, too - super soft and light.
    I haven't tried it with any whole wheat flour yet, but if I ever do, I'll let you know how it turns out.

BUTTERY ROLLS

1 cup warm milk (70-80 deg.)
    ½ cup butter or margarine, softened
    ¼ cup sugar
    2 eggs
    1½ teaspoons salt
    4 cups bread flour
    2¼ teaspoons active dry yeast

In bread machine, place all ingredients in order. Select dough setting. (Check dough
    after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water or flour as needed.)
    When cycle is completed, turn dough onto a lightly floured surface. Divide into 24
    portions; shape into balls. Place in a greased 13x9 inch baking pan. Cover and
    let rise in a warm place for 15 minutes. Bake at 375 deg. for 13-16 minutes.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by wjcalderon View Post
    Here's another good recipe for sandwich buns (bread machine) if you're interested.
    I haven't tried it with any whole wheat flour yet, but if I ever do, I'll let you know how it turns out.

BUTTERY ROLLS

¼ cup sugar
    2 eggs
    1½ teaspoons salt
    4 cups bread flour

In bread machine, place all ingredients in order. Select dough setting. (Check dough
    When cycle is completed, turn dough onto a lightly floured surface. Divide into 24
    I make these for every family dinner, I think my son-in-law would protest if I didn't.
    Terry

Jan grocery /275.00

YTD grocery

New Recipe 1/24
    Items repurposed

as of 1-11

Personal challenge, 5 A Day
    put away, throw away, give away
    at least 5 items a day

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by wunsagin View Post
    I make these for every family dinner, I think my son-in-law would protest if I didn't.
    Have you ever made them with part whole wheat flour? I would like to try it, but they're so good, I don't want to mess them up.

TDN
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by wjcalderon View Post

BUTTERY ROLLS

¼ cup sugar
    2 eggs
    1½ teaspoons salt
    4 cups bread flour

I make one very similar....an old Betty Crocker recipe that works great making dough in machine..1 cup milk, 1/3 cup butter or margarine, 1/3 cup sugar( I use 1/4 cup) 2 eggs, 1 tsp salt, 4-41/2 cups flour, 21/4 tsp yeast. Sometimes I use part whole wheat pastry flour and they are still good. Since I only make them at holidays now though I just make them regular. We had to give up our nightly bread with dinner for hubby's blood sugar levels.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast