Making bread with machine
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Making bread with machine

Does anyone have a good tried and true recipe for making bread in machine that they wouldn't care to share.I tryed the basic one in the book that came with the bread machine didn't care to much for it and i love yeast bread.Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

What did you not like about the bread?

I have found that the ingredients make a huge difference. First and foremost, the yeast makes a huge difference in the taste. I prefer Red Star.

Second, of course is the flour. Many people swear by King Arthur or Red Mill. I prefer Gold Medal Unbleached.

I find the recipes work best if they include a bit of dry/powdered milk, sea salt and sugar.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Have you tried the Fleishmans website? They have tons of recipes. There's a Harvest Stuffing bread there that's pretty awesome (though I wouldn't want it every day).

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

1 1/8 c tap water
    2 cups all purpose flour
    1 tsp salt
    1 tbs sugar
    1 tbs honey
    1 tbs olive oil
    1 1/2 tsp dry yeast

This was my old standby when I used a machine. It's best eaten fresh, once it cools. It's pretty good within the first 24 hours or so, then it kind of dries out and loses flavor. So eat it up the first day!

I used regular yeast, not "bread machine" yeast. Room temp water to get it started, not warm. If you have a longer rise setting, use that. You get a nicer loaf if you take it out of the machine after the first rise and put it in an oiled loaf pan and cover it with a tea towel for the 2nd rise. Then bake in your oven at 350 for 20-30 minutes -- it should be browned and hollow sounding when you thump it. The internal temp of cooked bread is 190-200F.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

Because we, the people, have the power to build a better future. KH

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

this is my favorite that I've been making for a few years, made it last night. I goofed, didn't follow my own recipe, calls for 1 tea. yeast and I dumped in the whole packet. I thought it was a bit off but still very good.

1 1/2 Pound Recipe (12 slices)

1 egg plus enough water to equal 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons

1 teaspoon salt

1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon sugar

1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter, softened

3 cups bread flour (I just use all purpose flour)

1 teaspoon bread machine or quick active dry yeast

Make 1 1/2 pound recipe with bread machines that use 3 cups flour.

Measure carefully, placing all ingredients in bread machine pan in the order recommended by the manufacturer.

Select Basic/White cycle. Use Medium or Light crust colour (I use Light crust). Do not use delay cycles. Remove baked bread from pan, and cool on a wire rack.
    Terry

Jan grocery /275.00

YTD grocery

New Recipe 1/24
    Items repurposed

as of 1-11

Personal challenge, 5 A Day
    put away, throw away, give away
    at least 5 items a day

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have a book called Bread Machine Magic, by Linda Rehberg and Lois Conway, St. Martin's Press, copyright 1992. I found it very helpful and it discusses different types of flours, slight adjustments to make for different machines, and has 139 recipes. Found it at a used book store. Plus it gives tips on making the bread dough in the machine and baking in the oven.

Your best bet is to look up your machines website to see if other recipes are listed. Sometimes it is just a matter of making an adjustment (less water) or finding a recipe you enjoy. Half the fun is making it and seeing if you enjoy it. Don't forget if the loaf is not great but still can be used to make a bread pudding, bread crumbs, french toast, etc, with it instead of just throwing it away.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Honey Wheat Bread for the Bread Machine

1 1/2 cups warm water
    2 Tbsp honey
    2 Tbsp butter
    3 cups white bread flour (I just use all purpose white flour)
    1 cup whole wheat flour
    2 Tbsp powdered milk
    2 tsp salt
    2 tsp yeast

Tried and true. Have made it several times. It's a lovely light wheat with a hint of honey loaf. Don't remember where I got the recipe or I would give them credit.

Hmmmmm.....I was going to make chicken and noodles over mashed potatos with a fresh loaf of bread from the store. Re-thinking, I'm going to have to make this bread instead.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by CookieLee View Post
    What did you not like about the bread?

I have found that the ingredients make a huge difference. First and foremost, the yeast makes a huge difference in the taste. I prefer Red Star.

Second, of course is the flour. Many people swear by King Arthur or Red Mill. I prefer Gold Medal Unbleached.

I find the recipes work best if they include a bit of dry/powdered milk, sea salt and sugar.
    I used red star yeast and W R flour that the kind of flour i have used for baking for several years i used powder milk and sugar just used regular salt.The taste just seem like it didn't have enough yeast in it but it rose up to the glass on lid.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

You can make a "sourdough starter" to give your bread more flavor. Take a cup of flour and a cup of water and tsp of sugar and put it in a large container with a lid. Stir it until it looks like lumpy oatmeal and then leave it on the counter for two days. It will develop a sour smell.

After two days add 2 spoons of flour, two spoons of water and stir it in. Do this again on days 4 and 5.

At that point you have a spongy liquidy mass that looks kind of like pancake batter with lots of bubbles and a tangy smell.

To use it, stir it well and take out one cup of starter. This replaces 1/2 cup of flour and 1/2 cup of water in your recipe.

To the remaining starter add 1/2 cup of flour and 1/2 cup of water. Stir and refrigerate until you need it again. It will keep a very long time and still have good flavor even if it goes flat and "dies". You can revive it with fresh flour and water each time you bake. The flavor just keeps getting better.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

Because we, the people, have the power to build a better future. KH

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

This is the recipe I use for sourdough starter Wild Yeast Sourdough Starter Recipe - Food.com - 116648

But you can also fake a sourdough flavor by using some plain yogurt or plain kefir instead of some or all of the liquid in a bread recipe. This is a recipe I've made, Hearty Onion Rye Bread Bread Machine) Recipe - Food.com - 281784 , but I've done it with other recipes, too.