Sourdough starter with bread flour?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Question Sourdough starter with bread flour?

I want to get a starter going, but I'm not sure if I have the flour I need. The store shelves are bare of flour currently, so I only have bleached all-purpose and unbleached bread flour. Can I use the bread flour to safely make the starter?
    Also, if you have a good recipe for it so I'm not making too much, that would be great as well!
    Thanks!
    Tia ~ Slowly Drowning
    DH, Brad married 10/31/07
    Kissa GitanaVirginia RaeKiwi Louise
    Delilah Moon Posie May
    EF $0/$1,000
    Snowball
    CC#1(C1T)$1,444 CC#2(C1T2)$1,774

Truck Loan $7,[email protected]%

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sourdough does not like me, so I'm no expert. But I think you could try both flours and see what happens, without being out much if it doesn't work.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Both are fine for feeding your starter and for making bread. You will get better results baking with bread flour and adding a small amount of yeast to the dough when you are ready to bake. I use the AP to feed and bake with bread flour.

Do you have a starter culture or are you hoping to catch a local one in the air? It's much easier to work with a known, robust, starter than something random.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I will be making my own starter at this point as I don't know anyone that has one personally (not that it's safe currently anyway).
    I am thinking I may just start with the bread flour since it is unbleached and raw. Once I get a good starter going, I may feed with AP from there.
    Thanks!
    Tia ~ Slowly Drowning
    DH, Brad married 10/31/07
    Kissa GitanaVirginia RaeKiwi Louise
    Delilah Moon Posie May
    EF $0/$1,000
    Snowball
    CC#1(C1T)$1,444 CC#2(C1T2)$1,774

Truck Loan $7,[email protected]%

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have a package of this, because I thought it was a dried sourdough starter. But it's not, and says 'not meant to be used in place of a sourdough starter'. But do you think I could get a batch of starter going? Ingredients rye flour, lactobacillus, yeast, soy flour, ascorbic acid and some other stuff.
    https://redstaryeast.com/red-star-pl...urdough-yeast/

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

DLR, not sure about that, but want to recommend www.kingarthurflour.com as a helpful resource for anything you need to know about baking bread. They have recipes for everything!

Some recipes such as ciabatta are made with a biga, which I think is similar to sourdough but quicker and more reliable, being made with yeast. Biga is mixed the day before and allowed to grow overnight. If you can't get a sourdough starter going, maybe biga recipes would be an alternative.

I like looking at KAF's site so much I had to set up a binder for all the recipes I printed from their site, in spite of already owning two 500-page bread cookbooks by them.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dlrcpa View Post
    I have a package of this, because I thought it was a dried sourdough starter. But it's not, and says 'not meant to be used in place of a sourdough starter'. But do you think I could get a batch of starter going? Ingredients rye flour, lactobacillus, yeast, soy flour, ascorbic acid and some other stuff.
    https://redstaryeast.com/red-star-pl...urdough-yeast/
    Lactobacillus is the bacteria that "makes" sourdough. Ascorbic acid is vitamin C, a common natural preservative and bread ingredient.

I see no reason why you could not use it to make a batch of starter. Make the recipe as instructed on the packet and ADD 1/2 cup each of flour and water. After the dough has done a 1st rise, remove 1 cup of dough from the batch. This will become the starter for your 2nd loaf.

Now, your 2nd and additional loaves are going to be a little different since the yeast will be spent, and you might not have rye flour, but you should be able to feed and divide and bake with it.

And I second King Arthur Flour's web site for good recipes and advice.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown