Making Tofu

Thread: Making Tofu

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Making Tofu

Making Tofu.

First start with some soy milk. I make my own, but I suppose even the store bought stuff will work, but have no experience with it. Here is how I make the soy milk.

Start with about four cups of soy milk. Heat to about 85C or just before boiling, add emulsifier to the soy milk and stir. The curds should form immediately. Let cool, and pour into a mold. The tofu will take the shape of the mold. Place a weight on top of the cheese covered tofu in the mold to remove as much moisture as desired. If storing for several days the tofu should be covered with water. Depending upon the quantity of tofu desired judge the quantity of soy milk accordingly. Time about half an hour after having the soy milk.

Emulsifier can be Magnesium sulfate (Epsom Salts), Magnesium chloride, or Calcium Sulfate.
    Dissolve about two tablespoons of the Epsom Salts ( my choice) in hot water. The idea is to utilize as little of the emulsifier as possible and achieve curds- maybe a bit of trial and error.

Use your imagination on a suitable mold. I chose some items from kitchen supply store. Cheese cloth is available form most fabric stores.

Steps included on each photo, too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

This is excellent. Thank you so much for sharing it. I love your posts. You're always "doing" and it's inspiring.

pip
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Interesting! Thanks for sharing.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Sara Noel View Post
    This is excellent. Thank you so much for sharing it. I love your posts. You're always "doing" and it's inspiring.
    Since the original post I tried white vinegar as an emulsifier with great success- probably my choice in the future.

Emulsifier can be Magnesium sulfate (Epsom Salts), Magnesium chloride, Calcium Sulfate, or Vinegar. I find a cup of white vinegar per half liter of soy milk curdles quite well. Dissolve about two tablespoons of the Epsom Salts in hot water per half liter of soy milk. The idea is to utilize as little of the emulsifier as possible and achieve curds- maybe a bit of trial and error.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Durgan, what "firmness" would you consider this? Medium, Firm, Extra-Firm?

Thank-you again for such a inspiring thread, this makes me want to go out and buy some soybeans to try my hand at making some.

I've read on other forums about how the 1970 era vegetarians used to make their tofu in their bathtubs, I always thought it was so interesting!
    Michelle in middle Tennessee!

Ever so slowly rebuilding my stockpile...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by cheles2kids View Post
    Durgan, what "firmness" would you consider this? Medium, Firm, Extra-Firm?

Thank-you again for such a inspiring thread, this makes me want to go out and buy some soybeans to try my hand at making some.

I've read on other forums about how the 1970 era vegetarians used to make their tofu in their bathtubs, I always thought it was so interesting!
    I just press mine until is appears to be suitable. I can cut it without crumbling. I imagine each batch will be slightly different. In future I will be making it about once per week. I really like the stuff, much more than the jelly-like store bought tofu. I have been using it for evening snack food.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Utilizing Soy Milk Fiber Residue

I made a another batch of tofu today and did some experimenting with the soy milk fiber residue with great success. Here are my findings.

http://www.durgan.org/ShortURL/?YUHVD 3 October 2008 Utilizing Soy Milk Fiber Residue
    Drying the soy milk residue fiber in the oven was found to be inadequate. Making paddies and cooking in the microwave for about three minutes dries the center of the paddy, then cooking in the oven at 375F for an hour browns the paddies to a nice consistency. I found cooking in the microwave individually does a better center drying than trying a a number of paddies on a plate-probably depending upon the power of one's microwave. These cooked paddies have a most pleasant taste, and may be utilized in many ways. Possibilities are serving like pancakes, or eaten like scones. This residue probably has as many nutrients as the soy milk, plus fiber. Mixing with vegetables and serving vegeburgers after the microwave treatment is another real possibility. Serving possibilities are only limited by one's imagination.

http://www.durgan.org/ShortURL/?QNSVQ Summary: Experience of making Tofu.