Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Thick and chewy homemade noodles

Mom’s Thick Noodles
    (Double batch)
    6 eggs
    2 Tbsp salt
    4 cups flour, approximately

These are really my mom’s noodles. I think she learned to make them from her mom. This is the first time these instructions have been written down. The basic idea is to combine all ingredients, roll them out, cut the noodles, dry briefly, and then cook in boiling water. I always make a double batch because we love them, but you may want to halve this recipe to make sure you like them. The double batch makes about 8 cups cooked.

Your noodles may look quite different from mine. I use my own organic duck eggs, which have a lot more color to the yolk. I also have unbleached all-purpose flour which appears darker than whole-wheat flour.

The first picture shows what you will need, except I forgot the measuring cup and measuring spoon. So you will need those plus, flour, salt, eggs, a bowl in which to mix, a fork with which to mix, a rolling pin, and something to cut the noodles. My mom uses a knife. I started using a pizza cutter, but then I found the white and silver tool shown at the front right of the picture below. It’s like 5 pizza cutters all lined up in a row. The box says it’s an herb mincer. You can get by with just the knife.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

This picture shows the eggs in a bowl with the salt. I only have five eggs because my duck eggs are quite a bit larger than ‘large’ store eggs. Beat them together thoroughly with the fork. I know this seems like a lot of salt, but trust me.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Add the flour in approximately one-cup increments, mixing well with the fork between additions. At about the third cup, your dough will become stiff and impossible to stir with the fork. It will look like the picture below.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Turn the dough out onto a floured counter-top. Knead for a minute or so, until something resembling a ball is formed. My dough today was particularly stiff. Cut your dough ball in half or fourth, depending on the size of your work area. Roll the dough out with a rolling pin. You’ll use quite a bit more flour to prevent sticking. Any shape is okay, as you can see by my picture. The thickness is somewhere between 1/16th and 1/8th of an inch.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Next cut your noodles about ¼ inch wide and 2 inches long.

Sometimes I just make them ¼ inch wide and leave them long. Other times, I cut them with mincer, and then move the mincer over 1/8th inch, so I end up with long skinny noodles.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Whatever size you decide on, you’ll want them fairly uniform, so they’ll cook evenly. Break them up and let them sit out to dry for about a half hour. If you do long noodles you can dry them on clothes hangers, hung on your cabinet knobs.

BTW, it took me about 30 minutes to get to this point, but that includes taking pictures and jotting down notes of things to tell you.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Place noodles in a colander and shake, shake, shake off the extra flour, then add noodles to boiling water, and cook for about 20-25 minutes. After about 10 minutes, take one noodle out and bite or break it in half. Now you know what the middle looks like when they’re not fully cooked. Continue cooking until done.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Drain the noodles, reserving the water. It is thickened from the extra flour and makes a wonderful addition to soups and stews. Remember your eggs and flour may make a lighter product than I have here.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wow! Thanks Valerie!

I have always wanted to make my own noodles, what a great tutorial

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

This is awesome. Thanks so much. Is it ok if I add it to the tutorial section of the site?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Valerie, you did an awesome job on this tutorial. It's exactly how I make my noodles and even the same recipe.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

They look good Valerie, thank you!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Originally posted by Sara Noel
    This is awesome. Thanks so much. Is it ok if I add it to the tutorial section of the site?
    Sure, Sara. And thanks for the award.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wonderful! I'll have to try these for sure!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

this is terrific, and it's exactly how my Russian mother in law taught me. Nutritious and delicious!!! AND SO frugal!

The recipe and the step by step photos are terrific Valerie, thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast