What to do with bananas...
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default What to do with bananas...

Someone gave me an entire case of bananas. They are just getting ripe. I thought I might freeze some. Should I wait until they are pretty ripe or freeze them now? How do I freeze them? And... How long can they stay in the freezer?

Also... Any good idea for using the bananas...

Thanks...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

sorry to be boring, but we love banana bread. This time of year you can make them in smaller loaves, freeze, and then wrap in saran wrap and foil, but a bow on it, and they make lovely "neighbor gifts" for Christmas

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You can freeze bananas with the skin on. Add them to smoothies in the morning or make banana shakes! Banana creme Pie comes to mind or banana pudding with nilla wafers.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

someone told me the other day to peel a banana, slice it (whatever thickness you prefer)...put the slices side by side on a cookie sheet and freeze....when frozen scrape off sheet with a spatula into freezer bag and keep for frozen snacks in the freezer..(eat frozen...don't thaw).....

so i tried this yesterday and i have to admit they were pretty tasty little treats to pop in your mouth.....

i don't know how well they would thaw and if they would turn brown before they did but that is my next experiment coz then i wouldn't have to buy them every couple of days for our cereal...just thaw them out when ready like i do the blueberries and strawberries.....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Wait until they're ripe but not mushy, slice them up, sprinkle them with a little lemon juice. Freeze solid. Take them out of the freezer and put them through a food processor or mill. Serve IMMEDIATELY. Banana "ice cream" has all the texture and taste of ice cream NONE of the fat or cholesterol.

My retelling of the recipe in the cookbook, Fast and Low by Stillman(?).

Our other favorite banana recipe is banana "halva" from the Country Commune Cookbook. Its' a very rich pudding. I'm going away tomorrow, but if you're interested, let me know and I"ll post the recipe when I get back on Sunday.

Judi

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have frozen them both ways.....with the skins on and sliced.

Will leave the skins on if I am going to make banana muffins or bread.......they get mushy when thawed but work for bread.

Check the recipes here for some other ideas........and......you can make:
    Honey Baked Bananas (for dessert or after school)
    Cut bananas lengthwise - place in shallow baking dish - mix up 2 Tablesp. melted butter, 2 Tablesp. lemon juice, and 1/4 cup honey. Brush this mixture on the bananas. (heavy coating)
    Bake at 325 for 15 minutes, turning 3 to 4 times.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sabrelvssammy View Post
    someone told me the other day to peel a banana, slice it (whatever thickness you prefer)...put the slices side by side on a cookie sheet and freeze....when frozen scrape off sheet with a spatula into freezer bag and keep for frozen snacks in the freezer..(eat frozen...don't thaw).....

so i tried this yesterday and i have to admit they were pretty tasty little treats to pop in your mouth.....

i don't know how well they would thaw and if they would turn brown before they did but that is my next experiment coz then i wouldn't have to buy them every couple of days for our cereal...just thaw them out when ready like i do the blueberries and strawberries.....
    so i thawed some out this morning to put on my cereal and although they didn't turn brn they were really mushy (like a sliced strawberry gets when thawed)....so they will still be great for my smoothies and it will be helpful with winter coming on that i have some in the freezer if i can't make it to the grocery.... (they are still super yummy as frozen treats....try em....)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I freeze ripe bananas whole for a few bread recipes that call for 2 or 3 whole bananas - they work fine for that.

But for banana pancakes, banana quick breads, more traditional banana ice cream and similar recipes, I puree the bananas in the food processor, and then freeze them in the quantities that I will need. I use either freezer bags or styrofoam cups double wrapped. Both are easy to mark with the quantity of banana. You can add a little lemon juice to reduce browning, but normally I don't bother.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We smash them up and then measure them out for banana muffins and put in containers and freeze.

We also put dollops on a cookie sheet and freeze and then peel them off and put them in a big baggie. We call them banana plops. We use them in smoothies or milkshakes or blended adult drinks. Well, DH and I use them in adult drinks, the boys, not so much.