How did you get started in jewelry making?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Question How did you get started in jewelry making?

I want to learn from the ground up how to re-create and restring jewelry. Did you take a class? Read a book? Someone taught you?

Any suggestions on how to get started would be a great help.

Thanks

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    I want to learn from the ground up how to re-create and restring jewelry. Did you take a class? Read a book? Someone taught you?

Any suggestions on how to get started would be a great help.

Thanks
    There are some good books on making jewelry. I don't remember when I didn't string beads, grade school maybe? There are some techniques that are easier (in my opinion) to learn from someone than from a book, bead cups and knotting, for example.

Check out your local bead store. Look at their books and see if there's something you like. If so and it isn't hugely expensive to do so, buy the book and the beads, stringing materials, etc. Most shops are more than happy to help you. Ask them if they think the piece you have in mind is good for a first project.

Seed beads are probably where I'd start, the beads are relatively cheap, it gets you used to dealing with the materials, etc. But I'm biased, I LIKE seed beads better than many big beads. You can make a string of seed beads with a bead needle, and nymo (flat bead thread) if you don't want to buy a book.

Or, go to a thrift shop, find an old necklace whose pieces you like, and take it apart. Go to a bead store and buy needle and thread OR use small gauge fishing line and restring the beads from the old necklace.

There you go, 3 ideas!

Judi

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I started beading in the early 70's with seed beads. now i make jewerly nothing fancy just bracelets and earrings , necklaces beading is relaxing for me at times I also pick up beads elsewhere and take them apart and use them in something else . I now am doing magnetic bracelets there neat to work on and there sellers at my craft shows. thanks klean163

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

i started working on jewlery when i started working at ac moore back up north yrs ago. i was curious and i was already doing just about all other crafts so i said why not. and i liked it. sop it has become sort of therapy for me. my hands r bad at times and it helps keep me sorta nimble,i dont do anything fancy just basic stuff. what i do isnt hard i like to K.I.S.S = keep it simple stupid....so i used odd objects and make the greatest earrings! u r only limited by ur imagintion. luckily while i was there i learned alot from great woman and keep it going. honestly keep it simple til u get the basics down then they sky is the limit!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I started some 20 years ago. I learned from a lady who ran a garden shop on the outside, but the inside was a bead shop. I have studied books, tapes and any media I could find on how to make jewelry. The internet has saved a lot of shoe leather and the resources are never ending.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It depends what type of jewelry you're talking about.

I wouldn't say seed beading is inexpensive. Good beads are not cheap!

I learned to bead with seed beads in college about fifteen years ago, from a Blackfoot who was a master beader. She got me started. She was an amazing teacher, and I'm still learning. I have a set of books called Beads to Buckskins that has loads of different techniques.

I bead things a lot of people would never think about beading:

I also do things like beaded jean jackets using different techniques such as applique on velvet:

Or a technique called loom beading without a loom:

I do a lot of jewelry too, sometimes with just seed beads:

Or with stone cabachons:

Or using vintage jewelry I've picked up at estate sales. This started out as a brooch and earrings and became a hair barrette:

Some things need no description:

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I started by needing something to go with an outfit. Someone saw it and asked for one. So I made back all of my money I spent to get supplies. I checked the internet for instructions on more and kept practicing and found I could sell it. I finally found my own style and am in the process of tearing apart and remaking my first round of jewelry. After you learn the basics, your imagination is your best resource!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Spirit Deer--awesome stuff ! You have beautiful beadwork !

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I started my jewelry making journey from the time when I was still in school taking classed a year ago, I am in the calligraphy association and we were grouped to conduct the beading activity to make beaded jewelry which would be sold as donation for those who were in need for their university fee. I learned my skills from the group mates, teachers who knows about beading, I keep beading in the rest of my school time, well, that's how I my journey started. Well, I still believe that we should first learn by ourselves from books, or people we can bead to have some basic knowledge, then there is a need to take part in a group such as some beading websites, offline activities to have some mutual discussion or learning.