Any Jewelry Makers Here? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Originally posted by madhen
    Cockatiels and finches!! :-) I have two Gouldian finches, currently also sitting on eggs. Also, two mini-macaws, an African Grey, and two budgies. (And lots and lots of chickens.)

So jealous of you!! I would love to increase our flock to include gouldians!! Well, any of the bird varieties you have mentioned. Please, please please lets talk about your birdies more, post in the pets forum in the Family section. I'd love to talk more about them!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Birds

I'll start a new thread in the pet section. Not sure if I have photo privileges yet!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Bird buttons as clasps

In re: the question of using bird buttons (i.e, buttons with birds on them) as clasps, yes, I do use them in jewelry. Often, either the button is colourful, or the bird is embossed in gold on dark brown, or some such combination, so I use the button to dictate what colours I use in the bracelet. Since I belong to a bird club and sell at the local bird-marts, they are a natural extension to pet bird supplies that I sell. :-) I still have quite a few buttons that are waiting for the muse to strike, though. I just do a search on eBay for "parrot button" and usually have to wade through dozens. :-) I'm not looking for the rare and expensive ones - just ones that will catch the eye. The running joke among most parrot owners is that we are very much like birds - we are attracted to shiny objects and want to feather our nests with them!!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have thought about doing this. I think that pins would be something great to make. I worked with a lady once that made all her own and I never saw her wear the same one twice. She would use trinkets she picked up at thrift stores and yard sales and make the most beautiful pins. She made barettes also. I know you can take pennies and hot glue them all over a barret and it is really pretty.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Re: Bird buttons as clasps

Originally posted by madhen
    In re: the question of using bird buttons (i.e, buttons with birds on them) as clasps, yes, I do use them in jewelry. Often, either the button is colourful, or the bird is embossed in gold on dark brown, or some such combination, so I use the button to dictate what colours I use in the bracelet. Since I belong to a bird club and sell at the local bird-marts, they are a natural extension to pet bird supplies that I sell. :-) I still have quite a few buttons that are waiting for the muse to strike, though. I just do a search on eBay for "parrot button" and usually have to wade through dozens. :-) I'm not looking for the rare and expensive ones - just ones that will catch the eye. The running joke among most parrot owners is that we are very much like birds - we are attracted to shiny objects and want to feather our nests with them!!
    Thanks for response I went to a function at our Musuem just recently and saw a woman wearing a really beautiful jacket. The jacket had bird (Toucon(sp??) buttons. They really made the jacket something special.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Originally posted by leeleeaub
    I have thought about doing this. I think that pins would be something great to make. I worked with a lady once that made all her own and I never saw her wear the same one twice. She would use trinkets she picked up at thrift stores and yard sales and make the most beautiful pins. She made barettes also. I know you can take pennies and hot glue them all over a barret and it is really pretty.
    Lee,

A great idea. I have some pin backs, but have never used them because I have not found anything that caught my eye. Probably a nice "extra" money-maker. The only supplies you need are pin backings and cement glue.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12