Anyone into beading?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Anyone into beading?

Wondering if others enjoy beading projects/jewelry making? I like working on simple necklaces & bracelets. Haven't worked on anything in several months & really need to set up a work area. Would love to get a thread going with others to post progress, discuss colors, styles, favorite sites & anything else involving beads.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I bead, also. I'm self taught so all of my things are really basic. I love to find bags of costume jewelry at Goodwill and incorporate some into the jewelry.

My favorite necklace I made is a two strand amethyst/turquiose one that has an earring that I found (made it into a pendant) hanging from it. I will try to post a picture of it sometime.

My sons made bracelets for their teachers at Christmas.

I haven't really made too much lately, but I find it so relaxing.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Cricket1,
    That's cool to find pieces at Goodwill & turn it into something you've designed! My pieces are very simple too... I'm not a jewelry designer or anything like that. I feel I can get nice results without lots of skill or time! I think that's one reason I enjoy it so much. I need to get a work area set up since I waste a lot of time pulling out supplies.

I've made a few items for gifts & they were well received. Would love to get started on my list of projects from January, but keep putting it off. Hope we can encourage each other! Do you have any projects you would like to work on? I'm also looking for a simple project my nephew can help make for himself & his brother.

Hope we can get a little group together, get some beading done & have a fun sharing ideas!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You've inspired me to work on stuff! I find that if you get a beading magazine they have so many patterns in them and easy to follow instructions. Do you have bead stores near you? The one I have here is very expensive. If I absolutely need to buy some I go to Michael's craft store. Ohhh!! I once got a fantastic lot of vintage beads on ebay. Have you checked it out for beading supplies?

There's also a supplier--something Mountain. They will send you a free huge catalog of their stuff.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I make beaded stitchmarkers...does that count?

I didn't even think of Goodwill as a source of material..good idea!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I made a couple of dangley rings , I saw them on a show on DIY...I want to learn to make bracelets and necklaces...there are so many pretty beads in the craft stores!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Any kind of beading counts! The more the merrier. I think there are so many different ways you can use beads. Many website have information/instructions on all kinds of projects. I'm so not an expert on beading of any type, but I really enjoy it.

No local bead store in my area, but the few I've been to seem expensive. Michaels & AC Moore (about 45 minutes away) have a nice selection & I enjoy their sales! Michaels has lots of instructions online, not sure about AC Moore. Most supplies I've ordered from Fire Mountain Gems. This is the company with the huge catalog Cricket1 mentioned & they also have a website. I've also ordered from ArtBeads... love their free shipping (great when you need few items). I've never purchased on ebay, but I enjoy looking at all the goodies... will check it out!

I'll try to get a list of websites for ya'll to check out (not great with links sometimes, but I'll see what I can do).

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well I'm back with a link or 2.

http:/artbeads.com/learning-center-ideas1.html

And I love these websites to just look at:

www.jmebyjamie.com

www.icecandycrystal.com

Hope its ok to list these. Also, I didn't list more in case they don't work!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oh I had an error or 2 & I can't edit to fix it.

www.artbeads.com

Look for the Learning Center for their projects & tips. Don't know why the link didn't work. Guess I'm not good with computers.

www.jmebyjaime.com

I just mis spelled this one... so sorry. Wish I could think of more, but my brain isn't work.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks for sharing the links!!! Here's one I have bought from http://www.shipwreckbeads.com/

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have thought about getting into beading, but I didn't think about reworking old jewelry either! That's a great idea about Goodwill, and also, I have a TON of old jewelry that I used to wear when I was an admin asst. that I could rework into something new.

I think there are endless possibilities for beads. I've seen some great handmade beads made with that polymer clay. I think that would be up my alley, because I like to be creative. Then incorporate some other things into it.

My cousin used to make those rolled paper beads. They were so cool!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I really like the thoughts of reworking pieces too! Some of my earlier pieces need a little reworking themselves; new cable/wire & clasps. Thinking of using accuflex instead of tigertail this time & changing some of the designs a little to. I haven't picked up items from Good Will with plans to rework them, but I'm keeping that in mind.

I'm into basic glass, semi-precious & seed beads mostly. I noticed some neat projects using polymer clay, but haven't tried any. Let us know what you come up with.

Anyone interested in listing projects we're working on & our progress or something similar. What do ya'll think? I haven't worked on anything in months & would enjoy sharing how my projects are going.