Easy
    Time Needed:
    1 hr., approx.
    Ingredients:
    1-2 lb. cut beef roast
    Serves:
    Depends on the size of roast
    Directions:
    Cut 1 inch chunks of well chilled semi frozen beef and fat. Freeze chunks for 20-30 minutes.

Place meat cubes in the processor with metal blade, taking care to process in small (no more than 1/2-pound depending on the size of your processor) batches. Add any seasoning for a recipe, right in before beginning to process.

Pulse in short 1- to 2-held second bursts until the desired consistency is achieved, about 10 pulses. (Count one one thousand two one thousand). Pulsing is key do not let it run.

Pulsing distributes the pieces for more even chopping and avoids excess heat from friction that could turn your ground beef into mass of mush.

For burgers, a coarse grind is preferred. For meatloaf and meatballs, a finer grind helps the meat compact, blend with other ingredients, and hold its shape.

Ground beef usually comes from one of three cuts: chuck, round or sirloin. Brisket is a great choice for burgers. I haven`t tried yet but is on my list to make.
    Chuck is my favorite choice; it's a little fattier than the others, but gives great flavor.

Ground beef from the round or sirloin tends to be leaner, a good thing if you're counting calories but a bad thing if you want the juiciest, most dynamic burger possible.

If meats are lean add olive oil, tomato juice, egg so it is moist. For best results your ground meat should have at least 10 percent fat to meat ratio.

My favorite is 85 percent lean ground chuck. The fat is where the flavor is, and it also adds moisture for a juicier end result.

Yes turkey, chicken, pork, veal, lamb can be ground as well.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Perfect! I just got a coupon for Buy 1 Get 2 Free chuck roasts!!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm going to try this. I've noticed for a while now that the lean ground beef is never on sale, but when beef is buy one get one free, I can get enough for 3 meals sometimes. That would make a lot of ground beef.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't have a meat grinder, but Publix, which in my opinion ranks #1 for meats, will do it for you. Actually, I've had it done at Albetson's as well as Winn-Dixie. It's the only way I'll buy my chop meat because I hate "mystery meat". Just pick out your roasts, and ask the butcher.

Theresa

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default question...

For those of you who grind your own burger....

I found chuck roast "steaks" on sale and purchased them for grinding for hamburger. Now that I'm reading up on it... should I blend it with another cut?

I'm reading where some add sirloin to chuck for added flavor but I don't have any here and I don't want to freeze my chuck steaks, grind and refreeze.

And, how much of a difference is there if I use the large or the small die, will the small holed die make the burgers to crumbly and fine?

I appreciate any advice
    Thank you
    Ceashels

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ceashels,

I think Russ is very helpful and knowledgeable in this area. If he doesn't happen to see maybe you could pm him. I do have to say the past few days I have sat back and realized how helpful and knowledgeable many on here are.

Hugs,

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Chuck roast is perfect for hamburger as long as you get a good deal on it and I (personally) would not add anything to it.
    The marbling is the flavor of a piece of meat and adding sirloin is just adding more meat. If you think about it, where do you suppose the "ground chuck" would (originally) come from? The grinding of the chuck or blade roast.

For reference, I would rather have a rib steak (a.k.a. prime rib, Delmonico, rib roast, rib eye) over a piece of Tenderloin. IMO, better flavoring and a better piece of meat.

HTH.
    ~Russ