Not a traditional stew and I made up the name. My mother used to cook this. I love it! Fix it all the time and even for company. As usual, no specific measurements - just wing it.

Main ingredients: stew meat, onions, tomato sauce, potatoes, rice

Stew meat - salt, pepper, dredge in flour and let sit for 15-20 minutes while you thinly slice a large onion. Brown meat in oil until well browned. Remove to plate. Reduce heat.

In oil, add 3-4 tablespoons flour and slowly brown until very dark brown, being careful not to burn flour. When dark, add the sliced onion and cook/stir until tender.

Add 1 8-oz can tomato sauce and hot water - about 4 cups. Add a quick dash of garlic powder, S&P as desired. Blend well, return meat to skillet. Cover and simmer, adding more water as necessary...maybe 30 minutes or so until meat is tender.

Peel/cube potatoes. (I like potatoes so I use about 3 medium Idaho's). Simmer until cooked.

Now in the meantime, and this is the weird part...cook a pot of rice. Yep. Steamed rice and potatoes - but it works.

I serve as a pile of rice and a pile of potatoes. Gravy over both piles. For some reason, I love this with LeSeur green peas and salad. It is really, really good! I prefer the rice/potatoes/gravy part so I generally use just a little stew meat. Warning: leftovers aren't too great but I eat it anyway.