Beans and Rice with Sausage - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by SueBee49 View Post
    Actually, abecedarian, the original recipe is real mild and calls for kidney beans. I have used the mild chili beans when I couldn't find the hot beans and it's just as good - just not as spicy as I like it so I add more ground red pepper and Tabasco sauce. When I fix it for company or to take somewhere, I tone it down. It's one of those recipes you can play with and adapt to your own taste. I hope you enjoy when you try it.
    What kind of bread do you usually serve with it? I bet cornbread would be awesome..

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Strange you should ask. I don't frequently serve bread with meals (keep in mind, it's usually just me eating), but for some reason the other night when I fixed this, I did in fact fix some cornbread muffins. I had a mix I had bought and needed to use it. However, it really was a good addition.
    The downside is I'm still having to eat those muffins. Not bad, tho', warmed in microwave with some butter and a little honey.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Strange you should ask. I don't frequently serve bread with meals (keep in mind, it's usually just me eating), but for some reason the other night when I fixed this, I did in fact fix some cornbread muffins. I had a mix I had bought and needed to use it. However, it really was a good addition.
    The downside is I'm still having to eat those muffins. Not bad, tho', warmed in microwave with some butter and a little honey.

Why not freeze each muffin in a small freezer bag individually? Then you can reheat as you feel like. I have a crowd to feed, so good bread gets snarfed quickly. Even so, I'm trying to think of ways to package things like muffins in such a way as to encourage limits..a whole dozen in a large bag is just too tempting to one 'starving' kid; two per small bag might be a visual reminder that there ARE other people in the house who might like muffins too...(not to derail your Red Beans and Sausage thread..)

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've tried freezing cornbread before and it didn't turn out very well. Also, my freezer (just an apartment size side-by-side) is stuffed so full I hate to waste the space. But rest assured, I'm putting those remaining corn muffins to good use! With the butter and honey...really good.
    And speaking of cornbread...that has always been something I absolutely and 100% cannot make. I've tried every recipe...had a neighbor a few years ago that made wonderful cornbread every single night. From scratch. She even came over one night with all of her own ingredients and step by step, had me make cornbread. Flat as a pancake. Even she gave up on me at that point. I have no idea what I do to cornbread.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've tried freezing cornbread before and it didn't turn out very well. Also, my freezer (just an apartment size side-by-side) is stuffed so full I hate to waste the space. But rest assured, I'm putting those remaining corn muffins to good use! With the butter and honey...really good.
    And speaking of cornbread...that has always been something I absolutely and 100% cannot make. I've tried every recipe...had a neighbor a few years ago that made wonderful cornbread every single night. From scratch. She even came over one night with all of her own ingredients and step by step, had me make cornbread. Flat as a pancake. Even she gave up on me at that point. I have no idea what I do to cornbread.
    I feel your pain on the cornbread front; I can't figure out knitting..I think there are just some things that others are better at than me. Also, the only way I can cook a decent roast is in the crockpot. If I put it in the oven, it's good for the dog, grinding up for sandwich filling. Praise God for crockpots..

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I guess it's good we all have our various strengths and weaknesses.
    As for the muffins, they are dwindling. I just had to get up and get another one with butter and honey. Also, I remembered years ago someone brought a big pan of cornbread to work. It had been sliced in half (like you would slice a layer cake), cheese added, and the top replaced. I guess they heated it in the oven to melt the cheese. Gosh! That was so good. Next muffin will be with cheese.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Try this:

Melie
    1- 8.5 oz. package cornbread mix (Jiffy)
    1 egg
    1 c. milk
    1/2 stick margarine, melted
    1 bunch green onions, sliced thin
    12 oz. cottage cheese
    Mix melted margarine, corn bread mix, milk, and egg. Pour half into greased 9x9 pan. Mix cottage cheese and onion and spread over corn mix. Spread remaining mix over the top. Bake one hour at 350.

We eat this as a main dish, but it would be a good side dish too, especially with something spicy because the cottage cheese would help cool the fire. For a main dish I just serve fruit or a green veggie on the side, like a lettuce salad or coleslaw.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Now that sounds good! Recipe has copied, printed and will be tried following next trip to grocery. And I have a small piece of cabbage in there right now for coleslaw. Shoot! I just might make a Walmart run today.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I made the Melie and it is deliciously good! The cottage cheese part in the center is almost like pudding consistency. Have to admit tho'...I only used 8 oz of cottage cheese. Guess I just read the recipe wrong. Whatever! It's still really, really good. A keeper.

One question. Is it supposed to be puffy like regular cornbread? Mine isn't. Given my history of flat cornbread, I'm thinking I've once again managed to flatten the cornbread.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've never had puffy cornbread. So flat is fine!

Ditto the 8 oz. cottage cheese instead of 12 oz. That really doesn't matter, so save a little money and use less!

If you cook something and you like the way it turned out, it's a success whether it's like the original recipe or not.

BTW, there are no mistakes, there are only gourmet touches.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

LOL! Then I'm a true gourmet!

It really is good. I ate an entire third of the pan. That's a lot of cornbread at one time. And now I'm eating some of the "extra" cottage cheese with applesauce for dessert. So it all worked out.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If it tastes good, you did it right!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Then I did it right because it sure tasted good. It was an interesting taste and texture. The cornbread taste, yes. But also the combination of cottage cheese and green onions was interesting. I used a lot of onions but it ended up being a very mild flavor and as I mentioned, almost a pudding-like consistency in the center with a bit of crunch on the outside. It is definitely something I will make again. I've already marked the cottage cheese on my printed recipe for 8 oz. It was good that way and since it ain't broke, I ain't fixin' it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

There you go! Bake it in cast iron if you can. You'll end up with a delicate crunch on the outside.

I like to add in lots of green onions, too. They're so mild and IMO they do add to the dish.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12