Coconut Milk Recipe
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Smile Coconut Milk Recipe

I finally decided to make my own coconut milk and it is really easy. I have been purchasing canned organic coconut milk but most have some additive added such as guar gum. Can't believe how easy it is to make and I don't have to worry about ordering it online (the one can of coconut milk with out additives I can only get online).

2 cups coconut flakes
    4 cups water

Place ingredients in blender and blend until smooth. Strain in a fine strainer or through cheese cloth. Press coconut to extract all of liquid. I have used bob's red mill coconut flakes and also organic coconut flakes to make the milk. Some recipes call for warm water but my blender is pretty good at blending.

I also get frugal on this recipe and only use 1 1/2 cups of coconut flakes to 8 cups of water. I make one batch with 4 cups of water and reuse the coconut with another 4 cups of water. Flavor wise I can't tell that much difference and my justification to make it with more water is that it makes more and is less fattening.

The left over coconut fiber I save in the fridge and add to smoothies or soups. You could probably add it to anything just for the added fiber. I didn't notice much of a coconut taste when adding the coconut fiber but then I am used to coconut. There are videos on how to make the coconut fiber into coconut flour. Yes, I did go through a couple of seconds of what do I do with the left over coconut, I can't just throw it away.

Hope you try it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks! I am going to try it, sounds alot better than buying it, and easy to make too.
    Pine trees, with their needles pointing up to heaven, represent everlasting light and life.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hope it works out for you pinetree. I haven't tried it in any baked or cooked recipes yet. Just using it for drinking and once on some cereal. It is really easy to make. I use unsweetened coconut flakes and the coconut milk still has a sweet taste to it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've never used or made coconut milk....don't like milk....but, few days ago I had to make banana muffins cause I had bananas that hubby kept wanting to throw away....but needed 1 cup of milk, no milk... had a small can of coconut milk so I added water to make a cup and it came out great....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

~I like to use warm water to make coconut milk because it separates the fat better. Then after chilling the milk you will have a nice layer of hardened cream on top which you can sweeten and whip.

Unsweetened non-organic flakes are about $2.50lb from the bulk bins. A pound makes gallons of coconut milk.

I like to use the leftover pulp in cookies/bars/homemade granola or protein bars.

I personally use mostly HM brown rice milk for cooking and baking(super cheap and bland), and HM cashew milk for drinking/cereal/cold desserts. Neither of these require any straining which is a big plus for me.~