Frugal Village Forums - Comments - Blogs

Blog Comments

• |
    update: jumper jilly seems to be out of business??? jumperjilly on eBay tell us it ain't so......

update: bought a bolt of linen with a coupon at joanne to make a new 140x108 flat sheet. it is my memorial day project. i stuck my foot through the custom 140x120 from Ferguson. i used the heck out of it and wore it out. (this is what happens when you are so busy at work for three years straight that wash and put back the same sheet on the bed over and over again). so i "turned sides to middle" and cut out the bad parts- a good three feet or so. it's too small to be a bottom sheet anymore, so it is now a top sheet. do you know how to turn sheets sides to middle? here is a video by karinza t wall.

i will be selling some unused sheets soon. the ones from the previous bed don't fit my current bed. for all my good intentions, i never do get around to refurbishing the old into new. i have a pretty free calendar for june, though. the cuddledowns, the len-ok from russia, the ones from minsk, sferra, williams sonoma, they will be sold over the summer. time to let someone else enjoy them.
    Updated 05-28-2017 at 03:02 PM by ladykemma2 (added more)
    • |
    why is it every May I go nuts with linen stuff?

i re-dyed sweat and drool stained pillowcases and pit stained linen blouses. . they were saved from the trashcan. https://ladykemmanewlinenblog.wordpr...d-pillowcases/
    Updated 05-28-2017 at 02:31 PM by ladykemma2 (wrong link)
    • |
    https://ladykemmanewlinenblog.wordpr...anewlinenblog/ find me here, as well.

107519 views. wow. may 2017 this blog is dated. i will update... coming soon!

you know, i get quoted a lot on the internet now, so i better get to steppin'.
    Updated 05-28-2017 at 02:21 PM by ladykemma2 (added thoughts.)
    • |
    woo whoo look at what Rough Linen is doing now. the lady who "gets it".

the oversized that she makes will fit my weird bed. Rough Linen™ sheets

jumper jilly, Ferguson and now rough linen make sheets that will fit my bed. yay!
    • |
    picked up a pair of natural euro linen shams 26x26 ralph lauren at TK Maxx today. in the washer now on "hot".
    • |
    Your Bedroom is Beautiful!
    • |
    i would like to try a lawn-bot spyder, for tall grass. augustine grass is properly mowed at 4 inches. at this time i don't think there is a bot able to mow that high.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...20bot%20spyder
    • |
    Updated 11-09-2014 at 06:47 AM by ladykemma2
    • |
    i now own 6 dirt devil whiskers, a neato xv-11 and two mint 4200 mopping units. my life changed so i have only Saturday morning to clean, no time to recharge batteries.

Mint Automatic Floor Cleaner 4200 - Walmart.com

when the neato dies, it will not be replaced. the cool factor was "cool", but the whiskers do as good a job as the neato for my purposes.

the whiskers are still on their original batteries but i have changed the neato battery twice $60 per time.

here is my saturday cleaning schedule.

master bedroom and bath first. change sheets,knock all dirt to ground with a feather duster, pick up chairs, obstacles, and occasional furniture, run 2 of the dirt devil robots "at will" to pick up dust and crud. clean, straighten, run 1 mint 4200 damp mop with "lavender water". charge the mint, return all furniture to its place. water plants, scrub bathroom, take a bath.

front of house, kitchen, great room, dining room, large hallway. knock all dirt to ground with a feather duster, pick up chairs, obstacles, and occasional furniture, run 4 dirt devil whiskers "at will" front of house. run neato on oriental rugs at same time (but it does the whole house). clean, straighten, run both mint 4200 damp mop with "lavender water". return all furniture to its place. water plants, wind grandfather clock. scrub kitchen. empty dirt cups and charge bots.

usually done by 1:00. catch up on house hunters, property brothers, and a nap on the sofa.
    Updated 10-19-2014 at 08:44 AM by ladykemma2
    • |
    i no longer buy cuddledown because they don't fit my bed. still good sheets though.

and they don't have red monograms anymore. lost my bidness.
    Updated 05-25-2014 at 04:36 PM by ladykemma2
    • |
    i made some shams today out of a bucilla linen (new, unused but from the 60s) tablecloth bought "fer cheap" on eBay. 5 bucks - i made 2 new 26x26 square shams.

wash 'em a few times. the blue embroidery stamp washes right out. like this Bucilla Table Cloth Pure Linen | eBay

could get two housewife pillowcases out of this Beautiful Vintage White Floral Damask Irish Linen Tablecloth 54x66 | eBay

could get 2 oxford pillowcases out of this 66x68 Vintage Antique White on White Irish Linen Damask Tablecloth | eBay

could use these as coverlets irish linen tablecloth 120 | eBay
    Updated 05-25-2014 at 04:46 PM by ladykemma2
    • |
    my top three picks

jumperjilly | eBay

Thomas Fergusons Irish Linen: Finest Linen, Plain, Natural, Table, Bed Linen, Glass Cloths, Tea Towels, Tablecloths & Napkins

and, although i have never bought from this lady, i would choose her product next. she makes a 127x127 sheet that would fit my weird bed (she "gets" it) and I drool over the Orkney linen. Rough Linen™ real, natural linen, the way it used to be
    Updated 05-25-2014 at 03:59 PM by ladykemma2
    • |
    made the bed with the jumperjilly 2014 on the bottom, the sferra 2014 on the top, and the "summer cover in quotes" 2014 as a blanket. slept in it.

the jumperjilly was stout and rough, just like new Thomas Fergusons. totally expected.

the sferra was a bore.

the ocher colored "summer cover in quotes" looked nice against the pottery barn / sherwin williams navy blue paint. not hot at all. very comfortable.
    Updated 05-31-2014 at 10:07 AM by ladykemma2
    • |
    here is my review of the optic white king size jumperjilly may 2014. Linen Sheet King Flat in Optic White 116 x 118" Russia House Collection | eBay

hmmm. it's very different from the ones i bought many years ago. those were floppy, wobbly, very smooth, finer threads, very impressive linen. no slubs. texture like italian linen from cuddledown.

today's sheet has chunky threads, slubby, heavy, dense. looks like a hand- loomed item. looks like those french dowry sheets that we drool over on ebay. looks like the "orkney linen" on rough linen's website.

i like it because i like heavy dense linen. yes, i would buy another. very pleased.

i marked it on the bottom hem "jumperjilly may 2014" with laundry/sharpie marker.

that's my review.

i wish i had a camera to post what i am talking about. will post once slept on.
    Updated 05-25-2014 at 04:13 PM by ladykemma2
    • |
    spent a day off from work --- relaxing, inspecting, mending, patching, turning the sheets.

patched holey area on a 2004 ferguson sheet, turned the frayed edge on the top.

made a new "summer cover" for myself with some unused, ocher colored, heavy, coarse, slubby, upholstery linen i had stored away in a box since 2001. 120x120.

i marked it may 2014 "mohammed from hatfield UK" linen, bought the linen from an SCAer at battle abbey reenactment hastings 2001
    Updated 05-25-2014 at 04:31 PM by ladykemma2
    • |
    i found a secondhand sferra Italian linen sheet on ebay. when it arrived, it didn't look old to me. (edit: didn't look washed, ever. still had the sizing in it?)

very fine weave, smooth as glass. I've never seen a linen sheet as smooth and finely woven as this. very impressive - i can see why they are so expensive.

my preference is for stout, heavy, thick, like the Ferguson or the orkney linen, but if you like high thread count cotton sheets, this would be the texture for you. i would not buy another, but it's just a matter of taste.

edited: once washed in hot water, they had a texture of plain thin cotton sheets. yawn.

marked may 2014 on the bottom hem
    Updated 05-25-2014 at 04:34 PM by ladykemma2
    • |
    i have started using my ferguson irish linen satin stripe tablecloth (bespoke 108 square) as a coverlet. i know the linen gods would gasp in horror, but the weight is nice. much more heavy than a sheet. looks terrific.

i painted my bedroom navy blue and the contrast of the double damask white tablecloth on the enormous, weird bed looks striking. ethan allen meets colonial williamsburg meets pottery barn meets eldred wheeler meets thomas ferguson
    Updated 05-16-2014 at 06:32 PM by ladykemma2
    • |
    this blog has 52452 Views! wow!
    • |
    here is a message someone sent.

Hi Ladykemma. I loved your linen review and was wondering if you have tried rough linen or linoto or had another suggestion for the best linen as the post is a few years old. I am mainly looking for duvet cover and shams that don't get too wrinkly, have a soft feel and have a nice linen sheen to them. Thank you!![/QUOTE]

i long to try the orkney linen (natural) summer cover from Rough Linen. no money, sadly. i look at the website almost daily and then remember that i am trying to get out of debt right now. i am gettting a substantial raise this year, so maybe? She "gets it" that us hot climate people need a special cover. I adore her website. I have watched all her videos on her website/youtube.

for the summer cover i would special order 120 x 120 for my weird bed.

also i don't NEED any more sheets at the moment. these things won't wear out. haven't bought new sheets since 2011.

with the jumperjillys, the Ferguson custom made, and the regular Ferguson superking. i have 3 working sets of sheets that fit my weird bed. cannot justify another.

also linen is wrinkley. don't worry about it. and not soft, crunchy.
    Updated 05-08-2014 at 11:37 AM by ladykemma2
    • |
    i just learned that there was a lawsuit. huh.
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast