Frugal Village Forums - Comments - Blogs

Blog Comments

• |
    Oh, don't be mad at yourself! Paperwork is the worst thing to take care of, I think. And sometimes that is what you need to do........just keep a spot warm on the couch. It is still time for you and taking care of you is important!

P.S. I think the Miller beer diet is a great idea!!!....hee,hee
    • |
    He lived to fly another day. I now am afraid to leave the garage door open during the day. It used to be only at night that the critters would come in. I have a bunch of hummingbirds around I love them so I planted a couple of butterfly bushes and I also have tons of lavender bushes.I also have a vaulted ceiling in my garage which probably caused the problem.
    Updated 01-20-2009 at 08:23 AM by frugal-fannie
    • |
    I hope you got it! I was going to suggest hanging some sugar water from the door frame, then maybe it would go down for the sugar water, and then realize it could get out!
    • |
    I think I got it out. I can not see it. I put a work light in the doorway and It looks like it Finally flew out. I guess I can do laundry again, It is by my washer and dryer. It was almost as bad as the time the baby skunk came thru my garage door and dog door and ran upstairs. It took about 3 hours of holding the dog with all the doors open to get it out. I will check around more carefully.
    • |
    Let us know what happens.
    • |
    Awww, poor thing must be terrified! Good luck!
    • |
    Thanks ladies I made it thru the week and I think they got the worm attacking the servers under control.
    • |
    thank you Fannie~I'm trying to keep up to date on all this stuff~your explanation helped.
    • |
    Hope things start to get better. 80 degrees! Must be nice! Enjoy it.
    • |
    I hope things start to look up at work. Hugs.
    • |
    Well currency is devaluing due to all the money that is being printed. The stimulus package will all but assure further devaluing. There are a few articles in Forbes and other publications that they may have a government or formal devaluing in that case, your dollars will buy less items.The dollar may loose value over night. They could even do it worldwide. A twenty dollar gold piece would buy a suit in the 1920's . A gold piece now is probably worth around 300-500 and will purchase a suit. Try taking a $20.00 bill and doing that. Gold will retain its buying power.And in times of crisis will go way up. Paper money is not backed by anything but a promise. During the great depression they confiscated gold- gave people a certain amount of currency for the gold and then the gold price went up around 40%. so people lost money. Some people will pay more for gold coins out of circulation as they are collector coins and were not confiscated in the 1930's. The government also tried to spend its way out and had a bad economy for 10years, History will probably repeat itself.
    • |
    I've been reading this entry with a great deal of interest. I feel I'm missing the boat....can you fill me in??

i.e. gold coins~devaluing the dollar...goverment confiscation?

Guns and ammo we already have stocked.
    • |
    Wow! 4 pounds is alot. Good for you!!!
    • |
    4 lbs!!!! Way to go!
    • |
    Thanks Debbie, We had a small earthquake tonight but everything is ok. I feel better about my quitting the evening job.
    • |
    You are being very wise in stocking up on breathing masks, food, gold and silver. Alot of people are unaware of the importance of these things. When watching the news you can see, behind what they are reporting, the possiblity of riots, food shortages and the loss of value in the dollar. I too have invested in a gun, ammo and solar stove. Good luck in your endevours, be safe and hang it there. You are doing great!
    • |
    I have read for long term storage that you do not want to store flour as wheat when cut or ground releases the oils in the wheat and will go "bad" quicker. So your really long term storage should be the wheat and buy a grinder in order to make flour from it. Also dry ice will remove the oxygen in the bucket as well.
    • |
    There is a lot of unique community college classesmajors. I know here they had one for electron microscopes. Some side degrees or specialty fields can be in demand , because so few schools offer it.
    • |
    I will have to try the candle trick. Any low cost place to pick up the plastic buckets. Did you try it with flour. That is one I really have trouble storing. Thanks so much for the info.
    • |
    Dried beans & lentils keep for years, they do require more soaking as they age though. I stored grains successfully in a hot & humid climate. Use plastic buckets with sealable lids. Make sure the grains are dry & bug free. Almost fill the bucket, including a few fresh or dried bay leaves. (helps if anything hatches), put a candle stub in the top of the grain, light it & quickly seal. The flame will use up any remaining oxygen, no bugs can live. I have it on good authority that grains stored this way will remain fresh for years. For extra protection you can duct tape around the lid.
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 41112131415 LastLast