Frugal Village Forums - Comments - Blogs

Blog Comments

• |
    Good for you,isn't just great when you find bargains!!
    • |
    I wish I had the patience to do the yard sale thing but sadly, I don't.

Ya did good, ya made 60 bucks plus decluttered as well. Good job!

Love,

Jen
    • |
    I don't know if you are aware of this but I feel the need to tell you.
    Please don't think I mean that in an ugly way at all, but most people don't know. Blue eyed dogs have a greater chance of being deaf. Be sure to have you dogs hearing checked, and believe me you will know if it has a hearing problem. Just wanted to let you know that the blue eyed dogs have a greater than normal incidence of deafness.
    ( we have a blue eyed catahoula, and she has hearing problems!)
    • |
    I cant wait to see pictures.
    • |
    Way to go on getting that bill paid!! Keep up the good work!!
    • |
    I wish we had a better system for those NOT on the college track. I think it'd be fabulous if we offered the last two years as optional... college track, vocational training, or just not going at all. I'm a big fan of voc-tech training, as I think it makes more sense for a lot of people.
    • |
    She actually wants to go to college.She scores very high in English and not too bad in math. She likes to be challenged. She would be the kid that would do extra homework on her own when she was younger because she liked it. We had the meeting with the school and they said as long as she was enrolled in school, it didn't matter if the school was college it was ok for her not to attend high school. So she applied for spring semester at Mount San Antonio College, about 2 miles from our house. It is up to her if she wants to go finish high school at the college, I learned they do have a program. If she wasn't cut out for college and told me she wanted to be an electrician and go to trade school I would be ok with that. I almost did it myself.I just want my kids to be able to support themselves if something should happen to us. My dad died at 49 and that is something to consider if you have kids.
    • |
    I think it is great that you would allow your child to quit school. You know if she has done as much as she needs, or if she just isn't cut out for it.

I do not agree with making her sign a contract for going to college. You are setting up expectations for her life. If she feels she is not cut out for it, and doesn't want to finish college, she may not want to disappoint you.

We need to teach our children to follow their hearts and what they believe to be right for them, not what people tell them.. we need to teach them to think for themselves.

Would you be any less proud of her if she did nor finish college and then fulfill your expectations? She will think you won't be.

Wouldn't you rather your child follow her heart, and if that means go to college, so be it, if not , then don't? Would you rather her wake up everyday and perform duties at a job she hates or at a college she hates eventually because you want her to, or would you rather she love waking up every morning with a thirst for adventure and loving her life?

Please don't set up limits to teach her that she must meet those limits, or she feels she is of no value. I know how that feels.
    • |
    Does your public school have a "running start" program? Some areas have programs where juniors and seniors can go to community college and earn college credits and high school credits simultaneously. Some even help pay for it. Just a thought.
    • |
    High school isn't for everybody - my oldest DD quit, got her GED, and graduated college this last spring with honors.
    • |
    I don't think you will regret it. I homeschooled my 3 kids, now all grown. During their teenage years they had a lot of input into how their learning was structured. They all chose differently.
    DD26 got a full time job at 16 but continued to read voraciously. She applied, and got into, Uni at 19. Now a mum but planning further study, didn't finish Marine Biology degree because of pregnancy.
    DS24 had a more structured approach & more input from me because of his dyslexia. He worked part-time from the age of 16, studied at home by correspondence & picked up one subject at school. (Phys.Ed.). Then he did a diploma course in horticulture & now works in that industry.
    DD22 went to polytech at 16, (not sure what your equivalent is) and did a year long building and carpentry course for which she received a scholarship. The following year she went to school to study english & psych. She too is now a mum, baby #2 due Dec 7, but is planning further study in future.
    Sorry this is so long, but I guess what I'm really trying to express is that all kids are different, they do have the wisdom to find their own path & can be stifled and become resentful later on if pushed into things.
    Your way of estsblishing the ground rules is important, I think too there needs to be some options within that if she wants to change her major or move 'sideways' at any point.
    Hope it all goes well!
    • |
    I also like that you can return mark downs for store credit. I bought my daughters a couple of shirts for 2-6 dollars and pants and didn't have to worry about if they liked them as I could return them. So far all but one was a hit.The pants I got for 6 were a brand I see at the Nordstrom(I usually shop the rack) I also bought one suit for my mom at $7.
    • |
    I love that store.They have really cute kids stuff also.
    Tina
    • |
    mine is still on villageblogger, but it is in the process of moving omewere else
    • |
    Yes they said they were in this section but I can't locate mine
    • |
    are you talking about an old journal that you had here on FV? because I was unable to find mine as well. I'm still debating whether to just start a new one.
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 512131415