Frugal Village Forums - Comments - Blogs

Blog Comments

• |
    thanks for sharing [email protected]!

Frugalforever
    • |
    Thanks for posting this.
    • |
    oh. making bread is soooo much better. keep it up!.

great blog. I run across the 'appalled' as well. and well. They're even appalled that I want to be debt-free including the mortgage! imagine that!
    • |
    You're welcome! I thought searching through this site in my area was great!
    Lots of free things to do.
    • |
    Thanks for the info, I am going to check it out.
    • |
    Paint Stains - Water-based paint, such as latex acrylic stains, should be rinsed in warm water while stain is still wet; launder. This stain usually cannot be removed after it dries. For oil-based paints, including varnish, use the solvent listed on the label as a thinner. If label information is unavailable, use turpentine. Rinse. Pre-treat with pre-wash stain remover, bar soap, or detergent. Rinse and launder.

Perfume Stains - Treat with pre-wash stain remover or liquid laundry detergent; rinse and launder.

Perspiration Stains - Treat with pre-wash stain remover, or dampen stain and rub with bar soap. If the color of the fabric has changed slightly, apply ammonia to fresh stain or white vinegar to old stain; rinse. Launder in hottest water safe for that fabric. Stubborn stains may respond to pre-treating with a product containing enzymes (like ERA), then launder using an all-fabric bleach.

Pine Resin - Sponge the stain with cleaning fluid; let air dry. Rub with detergent and launder as usual. If stains persist, apply a few drops of household ammonia. Air dry. Launder, using liquid laundry detergent.

Pollen Stains (tree or flower) - Sponge, then flush with dry-cleaning solvent. Let air dry. Rub gently with detergent. Launder as usual, using bleach that is safe for that fabric.

Rust Stains - Apply a commercial rust remover such as Rit Rust Remover. Follow manufacturer's instructions. Do not use chlorine bleach on rust.

Scorch - Launder with chlorine bleach, if safe for that fabric. Otherwise, soak in an all-fabric bleach and hot water, then launder. Note: Badly scorched stains cannot be removed.

Shoe Polish Stains - Pre-treat liquid shoe polish with a paste of dry detergent and water; launder. Use a dull knife to scrape residue of paste shoe polish from the fabric. Pre-treat with a pre-wash stain remover or cleaning fluid; rinse. Rub detergent into dampened area. Launder with chlorine bleach, if safe for fabric, or an all-fabric bleach.

Tar - Act quickly before stain dries. Use a dull knife to scrape excess tar from the fabric. Place stain face down on paper towels. Sponge with cleaning fluid. Replace towels frequently for better absorption. Launder, using hottest water safe for that fabric.

Tobacco Stains - Moisten stain and rub with bar soap; rinse. Pre-treat with stain stick or soak in an enzyme solution (like ERA). Launder. Note: If stain remains, launder again using chlorine bleach, if safe for fabric, or use oxygen bleach.

Urine, Vomit, Mucous, or Feces Stains - Treat with pre-wash spray or pre-treat with a product containing enzymes (like ERA). Launder with chlorine bleach that is safe for fabric, or use an all-fabric bleach.

Yellowing of White Cottons or Linens - Fill washer with hot water. Add twice the detergent as normal. Place items in washer and agitate four minutes on regular cycle. Stop washer and soak clothes for 15 minutes. Restart washer and agitate 15 minutes. Complete the wash cycle. Repeat process if needed.

Yellowing of White Nylon - Soak fabric overnight in an enzyme presoak or oxygen bleach. Launder, using hot water and twice as much detergent as usual with an oxygen bleach.
    • |
    Yes, it's a great idea, but it wouldn't have worked for DH and myself, unless we wanted to become landlords. Our first home was in CA, we then moved (with his job) to GA, then FL, and the finally to where we are now. We've been here a long time. And in the long term, it has probably paid. If we hadn't bought this house, I'd be living in Ohio these days, as he had to quit a job there because we couldn't sell the house or afford 2 households (last bank problem, Bush I, remember that one?). Anyway, we stayed.

If we hadn't moved? Our house in CA would have been paid for 10 years ago or so, or maybe even sooner.

It's a nice idea, but my financial life hasn't been that neat and tidy. I wish!

Judi
    • |
    My second time using Zenni Optical. I am so please with them I ordered 5 pairs this time. One prescription sunglasses, two computer and two regular pairs. All for $122.45. What a bargain!!! - [email protected]
    • |
    I got 156 days but I was guessing at my food amount plus I would not include my Labrador as a source of food, or any of my leather Jackets (I need them for warmth.)
    • |
    What a good article. And, as opposed to many other entertainments, a book waits for you and is available when you want it.
    • |
    Thanks, Carol. You covered a lot there. Will you be posting more on the specifics? For example, a separate post on planning destination events?
    • |
    LOVE their blog. Such inspiration.
    • |
    Agreed on all points. Fighting to be patient. Always have a hard time when i budget but things get pushed back for unexpected expenses.
    • |
    Nice I really like it. I too came up with a good understang about money but never new thought about some of these concepts with kids. I have two that i cant wait to try them out on. Good Job
    • |
    I already have money in credit unions- Their rates are lower. If some of these big banks start upping their fees I will move more of my money to credit unions and close accounts.
    • |
    Almost every professional photo of food has had something done to it to make it look delicious.
    • |
    It doesnt matter to most people, i work in a fast food place and it doesnt matter if it looks slightly different to the pictures most people are conserned about size they blow up the pics making things look bigger than they are.
    • |
    Can't say I personally have run into 1 store that doesn't tkae checks. I prefer to use a debit card anyway though. It is annoying when you write a check and they process it and hand the check right back to you. (WAlmart, and Salvation A. for example)
    • |
    Sorry I haven't been able to add the second part of the article. I'm still getting Error 404 messages. Maybe there's a limit to how many characters you can add.

Anyone wanting the second part of the article can email me here and I'll send it.

Thanks for reading my blog.

[email protected]
    • |
    UPDATED!!!
    Extended to 12/31/09.
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast