Frugal Village Forums - Positive Messages - Blogs
View RSS Feed

Positive Messages

Uplifting shares.

1. The Joy of Doing Things Manually

by , 10-02-2009 at 04:43 PM ([email protected]'s Blog)
    Over the years of simplifying my life and spending Iíve rediscovered the joy of doing things manually. Years ago I was hooked on every electronic gadget and power tool. If it plugged in and was convenient, I used it. But I learned that the convenience came with a price tag. Not only were the electronic/plug-in models more expensive, they often broke, required replacement batteries, and were often expensive to repair, if they could be repaired at all. They also consumed electricity or gasoline, which ...
  2. The Debt Free House

by , 10-02-2009 at 04:25 PM ([email protected]'s Blog)
    The only debt weíve ever incurred was to buy our house. At the time we bought, we just didnít have a spare $150K lying around so we had to get a mortgage. We knew going in that we didnít want to be stuck with it for thirty years so we set out to buy a house we could comfortably afford, knowing that we would be making extra payments on the mortgage. In other words we bought well below our means.

The first thing we did when we knew that we wanted a house was to save up for a large ...
  3. Low Cost Self Improvement

by , 10-02-2009 at 04:01 PM ([email protected]'s Blog)
    When we think in terms of improving ourselves, we tend to think of big things like going back to school, investing in expensive clothes, joining a gym, using expensive cosmetics, or indulging in expensive spa treatments or hair styles. But there are many free and low cost things you can do to improve yourself (both physically and mentally), boost your confidence, make you attractive to others, and make you a more interesting person. Some ideas:

Be conscientious of basic hygiene and ...
  4. You Never Know Until You Try

by , 08-12-2009 at 12:02 PM ([email protected]'s Blog)
    One Way To Find Out

When contemplating whether to do something or not, a plucky voice in our heads may say, "You never know until you try." This is time-honored wisdom that encourages us to be game rather than to hold back. It reminds us that it is only through experience that we learn about this world and ourselves. Even if we regret the outcome, we have learned something, and the newfound knowledge is almost always worth it.

This wisdom can be applied ...
  5. Creating Community

by , 08-11-2009 at 11:36 AM ([email protected]'s Blog)
    Links That Last

Since the modern Western lifestyle can isolate us from one another, it is often difficult to forge meaningful connections. Self-protection and mistrust prevent us from reaching out to neighbors and peers, and we consequently feel like we donít truly belong anywhere. Yet creating community can be as simple as reaching out within our own neighborhoods. To form the bonds that eventually solidify into long-lasting friendships, we must first be willing to rise above the ...
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast