Frugal Village Forums - C@rol's Blog - Blogs
View RSS Feed

[email protected]'s Blog

I'll be sharing some things that I hope visitors will find interesting and helpful. Enjoy!

1. 10 Free Entertainment Activities for Seniors

by , 10-28-2009 at 11:02 AM ([email protected]'s Blog)
    The Only Price of Admission for These Great Activities is Ingenuity

Whether you’re saving for retirement, living on a fixed income, or just looking for new ways to be smart about how you spend your money, consider the many ways that you can trim your entertainment budget and actually increase your fun. Here are 10 of the best ideas I’ve found.

Gallery openings and art walks – Attend art gallery openings, which usually include wine, hors d’oeuvres, and a chance to meet ...
  2. Saving Again? Here's a Way to Do It Right

by , 09-23-2009 at 06:28 PM ([email protected]'s Blog)
    By KAREN BLUMENTHAL

Pat yourself on the back.

Government data show that in the face of the financial crisis, we have reduced our debt, cut our spending and, by one measure, boosted personal savings to the highest level this decade.

So now that you're back on track, how are you going to make the most of your hard-won reserves? Will you rebuild your retirement accounts? The kids' college funds? Buy a new home? Or should you put it away for a generic rainy ...
  3. SaveWealth.com

by , 05-27-2009 at 04:00 PM ([email protected]'s Blog)
    SaveWealth.com

SaveWealth Financial can help you sort through the myths, and put time-tested estate and retirement planning strategies into action

Categories
    Frugal Links
  4. The Consequences of Believing in the Entitlement Fairy Tale

by , 02-05-2009 at 02:53 PM ([email protected]'s Blog)
    It seems like every day I hear someone talking about what they “deserve.”

Some examples:

“I work hard, so I deserve a nice vacation.”

“The kids are only young once, they deserve the best of everything.”

“I’ve worked all my life, so I deserve to retire in comfort.”

“I’ve paid my dues so I deserve a promotion/raise.”

“I’ve never had a nice car, so this time I deserve a convertible sports car.”

The ...
  5. Why 401(k) Retirement Plans Really Don’t Work...

by , 01-25-2009 at 02:29 PM ([email protected]'s Blog)
    ...And How to Fix Them

With the death of defined pension plans, 401(k) retirement plans have become a staple for many employees, but the recent financial turmoil has put these once infallible savings vehicles under the microscope. There have been numerous news articles detailing the stunning losses of the stock market since October of last year. Such stories usually offer a profile of some victim around 55 years old who was preparing to retire in the next few years, only to have 25% ...